Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 06:26 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, I'm starting to feel better about just turning it all over to the Millennials.

I would to see our constitutional right to drive preserved, even if it's on a limited basis. I don't care what anybody says, I don't want to walk or ride a bike to the grocery store.
Dude you crack me up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 06:43 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
Well, I'm starting to feel better about just turning it all over to the Millennials.

I would to see our constitutional right to drive preserved, even if it's on a limited basis. I don't care what anybody says, I don't want to walk or ride a bike to the grocery store.
After a certain age, you will be required to pass a physical exam to keep your DL.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:18 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,691,142 times
Facebook: Bike Commuters of ATL

Quote:
Corwin Robison

I live in midtown and we had a neighborhood meeting tonight and all the main roads like peachtree Piedmont and juniper will be having separate barricaded bike lanes like the picture from the previous post. They said they want to make midtown the most bikeable city in the country, even more so than Portland.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:25 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
After a certain age, you will be required to pass a physical exam to keep your DL.
I can pass the dang physical exam.

And if not, what are the chances of me being able to walk home from the grocery store in the boiling heat carrying two bags of groceries?

Old 07-14-2016, 09:30 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times
According to social media: yesterday at the midtown neighborhood meeting they are working to become the "most bikeable city in the country" and will have protected bike lanes on all main roads including Peachtree, Piedmont, and Juniper.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:32 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,691,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
According to social media: yesterday at the midtown neighborhood meeting they are working to become the "most bikeable city in the country" and will have protected bike lanes on all main roads including Peachtree, Piedmont, and Juniper.
I'ma start emailing Midtown and City reps to push for transit lanes to be included in this vision of theirs. I whole-heartedly support the bike-tracks, but still say we need transit lanes in there to keep the buses, streetcars, emergency vehicles, and even maybe uber/lyft/taxi companies moving (for a fee of course).

Old 07-14-2016, 09:33 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
I can pass the dang physical exam.

And if not, what are the chances of me being able to walk home from the grocery store in the boiling heat carrying two bags of groceries?
I'll pick you up in our tandem bike, with panniers for your groceries.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
I'ma start emailing Midtown and City reps to push for transit lanes to be included in this vision of theirs. I whole-heartedly support the bike-tracks, but still say we need transit lanes in there to keep the buses, streetcars, emergency vehicles, and even maybe uber/lyft/taxi companies moving (for a fee of course).
I'd support that too.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:06 PM

597 posts, read 666,283 times
How do you biker commuters do it? I love biking, and do so, in parks, on side streets, on bike trails. But, I just don't have the balls to ride my bike for a decent stretch on a busy major or semi-major street with traffic whipping by fast. Dedicated bike lane? That doesn't stop aggressive or distracted drivers. I know nothing happens to most bikers, but just the stress of it; far from fun - though the exercise and lessening of car congestion benefits are still there.

Be safe!

Old 07-14-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goillini8 View Post
How do you biker commuters do it? I love biking, and do so, in parks, on side streets, on bike trails. But, I just don't have the balls to ride my bike for a decent stretch on a busy major or semi-major street with traffic whipping by fast. Dedicated bike lane? That doesn't stop aggressive or distracted drivers. I know nothing happens to most bikers, but just the stress of it; far from fun - though the exercise and lessening of car congestion benefits are still there.

Be safe!
Yep, you and many other would-be bike commuters (rightly) feel unsafe sharing the space with Atlanta drivers. That is exactly why protected bike lanes are being planned:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta