Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 01:01 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,430,728 times

Advertisements

I just read an article that says Decatur's last office building was in 1991.
Residential is booming in the area but not many people work there outside of government jobs.
Why not more medical,banking or high Tech jobs that are lured to places like Alpharetta or Dunwoody.
Decatur is a millennial dream!
It is doing well but it still seems that so much more is possible that is not happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 01:39 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
I just read an article that says Decatur's last office building was in 1991.
Residential is booming in the area but not many people work there outside of government jobs.
Why not more medical,banking or high Tech jobs that are lured to places like Alpharetta or Dunwoody.
Decatur is a millennial dream!
It is doing well but it still seems that so much more is possible that is not happening.
Lack of office space and vacant land. DeKalb County has a lot of land, but that could become available if the Downtown DeKalb idea DeKalb CEO proposing Downtown DeKalb - Decaturish

Old 06-16-2016, 01:52 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,696,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Lack of office space and vacant land. DeKalb County has a lot of land, but that could become available if the Downtown DeKalb idea DeKalb CEO proposing Downtown DeKalb - Decaturish

Eh, we'll see how it goes. I wouldn't be surprised if Decatur could fill in the buildings fairly easily with various companies, but I'm not sure I have a lot of faith in the DeKalb leadership to make the 'Downtown DeKalb' thing work out.

That said, some more attention to the Memorial Drive corridor wouldn't hurt, maybe we can get some bus lanes or something out of it...

I do find it funny that they mentioned moving to Kensington MARTA station for the access... when Decatur has a station right there in the center of the city... oh well.

Old 06-16-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Is not that are "Decatur" also?Or is it unincorporated?But im referring to the existing Downtown DECATUR.

Old 06-16-2016, 02:15 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,664,235 times
Lee May didn't run to be permanent CEO and I would say that his idea is going nowhere. It was a bit of a pipe dream

I am not sure folks really want to commute into and out of Decatur. It isn't easy to get into and out of.

Old 06-16-2016, 02:25 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,696,314 times
Quote:

Yo, this is also from January 2015. I was thinking it was odd that the DeKalb CEO was still making statements...

Old 06-16-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Lee May didn't run to be permanent CEO and I would say that his idea is going nowhere. It was a bit of a pipe dream

I am not sure folks really want to commute into and out of Decatur. It isn't easy to get into and out of.
Actually its very easy.It right off the interstate.For people who need to conduct county business is actually more accessible by all areas of the county.
Dunwoody and from South Dekalb but adjacent to Avondale Estates.

I think its a better location and actually could work.Its really a good idea from a less than perfect CEO.
Its will be up to Michael Thurmond now who I have the uppermost faith in.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:58 PM
bu2

24,107 posts, read 14,896,004 times
Quote:
Actually its very easy.It right off the interstate.For people who need to conduct county business is actually more accessible by all areas of the county.
Dunwoody and from South Dekalb but adjacent to Avondale Estates.

I think its a better location and actually could work.Its really a good idea from a less than perfect CEO.
Its will be up to Michael Thurmond now who I have the uppermost faith in.
Its a horrible prioritization of resources. They already have buildings in an area with a MARTA stop in the actual county seat.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Its a horrible prioritization of resources. They already have buildings in an area with a MARTA stop in the actual county seat.
I dont necessarily agree or disagree but several counties have done this and it has worked for the most part so why not do a feasibility study?
If it good spread more prosperity around to where that area will grown more,then it would be worth it as more tax dollars will come from a lackluster area.
A MARTA stop yes but most people in other parts of Dekalb Drive.Even Dunwoody area MARTA wont be used to go South to transfer to other train going East when they could drive quicker as they do already.
Most MARTA users going onto Decatur are not coming from Dunwoody,Brookhaven or Tucker on MARTA.they are driving more likely so interstate access is not so bad an idea.

Old 06-17-2016, 06:15 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times
Quote:
I dont necessarily agree or disagree but several counties have done this and it has worked for the most part so why not do a feasibility study?
If it good spread more prosperity around to where that area will grown more,then it would be worth it as more tax dollars will come from a lackluster area.
A MARTA stop yes but most people in other parts of Dekalb Drive.Even Dunwoody area MARTA wont be used to go South to transfer to other train going East when they could drive quicker as they do already.
Most MARTA users going onto Decatur are not coming from Dunwoody,Brookhaven or Tucker on MARTA.they are driving more likely so interstate access is not so bad an idea.
So we should keep perpetuating the idea of making driving easy for everyone? If that's the case, then that is one thing holding downtown Decatur back is the amount of valuable land given to parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta