Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 05:45 AM

32,009 posts, read 36,673,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Incorrect:
Also incorrect, I actually know two people who within the past week have rearended people, but not been their fault (criminally or civilly) because in both cases the person hit pulled out in front of them without yielding the right of way.
I have to agree with that. Suppose you are driving along minding your own business and some knucklehead up ahead makes an unjustified stop or does some other ridiculous maneuver.

Why should you get punished just because you happen to be behind them? I had some woman back right into me at a drive thru and there I was sitting on the horn and yelling out the window at her to stop. Did it do any good? No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 06:20 AM

475 posts, read 682,549 times
Merging into Interstate Traffic

Please understand that the 'on ramp' from a surface street/bridge to the Interstate is called an ACCELERATION LANE. The idea is that by the time you reach your point of merging into the interstate thru traffic, your vehicle is already at interstate speed for a smooth transition over.

Even in light/no traffic, way too many drivers get to the end/bottom of the ramp and STOP, sitting there with their left signal on. I don't get it... keep it moving... what in the world are you waiting for?

Full Disclosure: Don't be too impatient with those drivers though, crossing the 'gore' (white lines that separate the interstate lanes from the acceleration lane), to get around them, is illegal.

Last edited by gold15; 06-22-2016 at 06:32 AM..

Old 06-22-2016, 06:55 AM

261 posts, read 216,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Also, to build on the right turn on red, if the vehicle does not have green arrow, it must yield to pedestrians in crosswalk. Also, when making a right turn please double check your right mirror to watch out for any cyclists or pedestrians that could get right hooked.
I really cannot count the number of times I've almost been mowed down this way. Even downtown, people just have this metaphysics that excludes the possibility of pedestrians in the universe. They don't think to check.

I guess that's Atlanta over the past half century. I'll bet they wouldn't make such boneheaded assumptions in Chicago. And all of them could use a good schooling on 6 ft wide one-way cobblestone streets with a 360 degree swirl of pedestrians, as one can find in many Mexican villages in towns. I wish the terror of a few days' driving in that on every ******* that sails into a right turn while looking left and not even considering the possibility that someone might be crossing the street.

A related pet peeve: people that pull out to make a right turn, e.g. out of parking decks, and are so focused on oncoming traffic on the left that they don't take a single glance to their right. I never know, as a pedestrian, whether it's okay to cross in front of someone so oblivious; usually I look for some acknowledgement or indication of having been seen from the driver.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:22 AM

145 posts, read 167,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold15 View Post
[u]

Full Disclosure: Don't be too impatient with those drivers though, crossing the 'gore' (white lines that separate the interstate lanes from the acceleration lane), to get around them, is illegal.
Yep it's illegal. And depending on the cop that sees you do, will give you a ticket. Ask me how I know

Old 06-22-2016, 07:46 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,789,071 times
Quote:
Passing someone on the right is dangerous and in many cases is illegal at an intersection. You should not be passing in the crosswalk.
It is not illegal. Most people it seems thinks that it is when it is not and this is an issue that does cause traffic hangups in Atlanta that is my biggest "irk" (other than people being on their phones at lights all the time and not moving when the light changes) 40-6-43 When Overtaking and Passing on the Right is Permitted:

Quote:
O.C.G.A. 40-6-43 (2010)
40-6-43. When overtaking and passing on the right permitted

(a) The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass upon the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:

(1) When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn; or

(2) Upon a street or highway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lanes of moving vehicles in the direction being traveled by the overtaking vehicle.
See red above

Old 06-22-2016, 07:48 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,796,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
It is not illegal. Most people it seems thinks that it is when it is not and this is an issue that does cause traffic hangups in Atlanta that is my biggest "irk" (other than people being on their phones at lights all the time and not moving when the light changes) 40-6-43 When Overtaking and Passing on the Right is Permitted:

See red above
That says nothing about using a crosswalk to pass another vehicle in an intersection. Even if it is not illegal, it is dangerous, don't do it. The few seconds is not worth risking the safety of other drivers and peds.
Who would be at fault if you passed a left turning vehicle, in an intersection using the crosswalk, and was hit by another left turning vehicle traveling in the opposite direction?

Old 06-22-2016, 08:39 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,341,316 times
Quote:
That says nothing about using a crosswalk to pass another vehicle in an intersection. Even if it is not illegal, it is dangerous, don't do it. The few seconds is not worth risking the safety of other drivers and peds.
Who would be at fault if you passed a left turning vehicle, in an intersection using the crosswalk, and was hit by another left turning vehicle traveling in the opposite direction?
Then the person doing the passing would be at fault for not making sure they had a clear path to go.

This is one of those things where, when you do it, you need to check and make sure that no one is making an opposing left, and that there are no pedestrians. I'd love to say don't do it, but sometimes, if it doesn't happen, then that street simply becomes unusable.

This is the intersection at Moore's Mill and Wesley heading westbound. I would estimate that about 1/4 of the cars going this direction turn left onto Wesley. Moore's Mill is a very busy commuter road between the westside and Buckhead. In the afternoons, it can back up as much as 1/2 mile. And in the mornings, about 1/4 mile (1/2 mile or more in the eastbound direction). And that is with people doing the cut around on the right. If they didn't, this intersection could take half an hour to get through. It's not a matter of "a few seconds". As long as you are being vigilant of surroundings, I have no problem with doing the cut around to the right.

Thankfully, there are supposed "intersection improvements" coming to this intersection, but I was not able to attend the meeting to find out the details.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:53 AM

11,714 posts, read 7,904,568 times
Help me please, some of you guys really need to refresh on the rules of the road...

Okay lets begin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by st3mpy View Post
I would be curious to see a lawyer answer this one. To me, the Yield sign overules the stop light. Otherwise, why waste money placing the sign and building a lane encouraging traffic to move?

40-6-72
(c) The driver of a vehicle approaching a yield sign shall, in obedience to such sign, slow down to a speed reasonable for the existing conditions and, if required for safety to stop, shall stop at a clearly marked stop line or, if there is no stop line, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection or, if there is no crosswalk, at the point nearest the intersecting roadway where the driver has a view of approaching traffic on the intersecting roadway before entering it. After slowing or stopping, the driver shall yield the right of way to any vehicle in the intersection or approaching on another roadway so closely as to constitute an immediate hazard during the time such driver is moving across or within the intersection or junction of roadways. If such a driver is involved in a collision with a vehicle in the intersection after driving past a yield sign without stopping, such collision shall be deemed prima-facie evidence of his failure to yield the right of way.
&
Quote:
This is a huge cause of confusion, which led to Cobb DOT to remove all Yield Signs at signalized intersections, where the turn lane was not divided from the intersection by a raised concrete barrier.
Here read the very first page of this: http://www.dot.ga.gov/PartnerSmart/B...%20Signs%2Epdf

Quote:
Another one that bothers me but I think it is because of where I'm from is when the person at the front of the traffic line is turning left on a side street and they don't move up to let other cars go around them that aren't turning left. Many times I have had to wait through 3-4 lights just to go straight because the left turning people won't move up.

I think it is a regional thing as I never see that in the Midwest, no matter what city. The left turning vehicle always moves up past the crosswalk in order to give vehicles behind them the option to turn right or go straight.
Technically the guy who didn't move up is obeying the law if its at a stop light. Its illegal to pass the stop line if you are unable to clear the intersection, thus yielding for his left turn.

Quote:
Incorrect:
Quote:
2015 Georgia Code
Title 40 - MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
Chapter 6 - UNIFORM RULES OF THE ROAD
Article 3 - DRIVING ON RIGHT SIDE OF ROADWAY, OVERTAKING AND PASSING, FOLLOWING TOO CLOSELY
§ 40-6-43 - When overtaking and passing on the right permitted

Universal Citation: GA Code § 40-6-43 (2015)
(a) The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass upon the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:

(2) Upon a street or highway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lanes of moving vehicles in the direction being traveled by the overtaking vehicle.

(b) If otherwise authorized, the driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle upon the right only under conditions permitting such movement in safety. Such movement shall not be made by driving off the roadway.
Which basically strengthens my point that passing on the right is indeed illegal except under extreme and very seldom circumstances.

Quote:
Also incorrect, I actually know two people who within the past week have rearended people, but not been their fault (criminally or civilly) because in both cases the person hit pulled out in front of them without yielding the right of way.
Notice how I said in most circumstances? In other words, its very difficult to get out of or prove otherwise that you're not at fault especially if the other party is not forthcoming.

Quote:
You're assuming those of us who "stomp on the gas" don't look. I most certainly do, unless you've seen the driver's head and eyes, you can't say with certainty that they aren't looking.
Um, yes...
If you Stomp on the gas you may very well see both ways...as you stomp right into an incoming car. You can look both ways but it does you no good if you're already in motion and in the path of potential harm. And trust me, I actually watch other drivers and what they're doing. 90% of them are either on their phone, or dont bother to turn their head.

At the intersection of Windy Hill Rd and I-75's SB Exit Ramp the light turned green and I stayed back and looked both ways while 3 cars proceeded to make a left turn, only 1 of them got sacked by an 18 Wheeler who was coming from my right ...

There's a reason there's so many fatalities here folks.

Quote:
Do you have a cite from the Georgia Code for this? A family member was involved in a collision a few years ago, they did change lanes in an intersection, but the police could not find any law making this illegal, and I still can't.
Police are for enforcement.
Attorneys are for law.

Quote:
2015 Georgia Code
Article 6 - TURNING, STARTING, SIGNALING
§ 40-6-123 - Turning movements; signals required on turning, changing lanes, slowing, or stopping

(a) No person shall turn a vehicle at an intersection unless the vehicle is in proper position upon the roadway as required in Code Section 40-6-120 or turn a vehicle to enter a private road or driveway or otherwise turn a vehicle from a direct course or change lanes or move right or left upon a roadway unless and until such movement can be made with reasonable safety. No person shall so turn any vehicle without giving an appropriate and timely signal in the manner provided in this Code section.
Or basically until you leave the intersection...

Quote:
Then please don't speed up once you know I'm coming out.
I don't. this is meant for those idiots who pull right out infront of traffic and expect right of way to slow down for them, and for the record, even if I DID speed up... I still have the right of way over you. Why not try actually sitting there and waiting for traffic to pass before pulling out?

Quote:
Even if I did that (which I don't), I technically still have the right of way, why don't you actually use your brakes and YIELD?

Well, actually, freight doesn't move at 80mph anywhere in the U.S. On the western railroads, intermodals can reach 70, but in Georgia the speeds top out at 50-60, and rarely above 50 around metro Atlanta. The only train that might be moving 80 near Atlanta is Amtrak's Crescent, but it doesn't hit the top passenger speed (79mph actually) except north of Atlanta, and even then not all that often if at all due to the numerous curves. Not saying don't be cautious approaching a crossing, but they aren't doing 80.
Do you really hate me or something?

I said they were capable of moving at up to 80 MPH and I never said anything about freight. Locomotives tend to travel without cars from time to time and they're easily capable of touching 80 and beyond when not loaded. This was a generalization

Quote:
Not true, see above.
&
Quote:

See red above
It actually depends.

Quote:
2015 Georgia Code
Article 3 - DRIVING ON RIGHT SIDE OF ROADWAY, OVERTAKING AND PASSING, FOLLOWING TOO CLOSELY
§ 40-6-43 - When overtaking and passing on the right permitted

Universal Citation: GA Code § 40-6-43 (2015)

(b) If otherwise authorized, the driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle upon the right only under conditions permitting such movement in safety. Such movement shall not be made by driving off the roadway.
If you're on a 2 lane highway, 1 lane each way and the guy infront of you is about to turn left but has to wait for oncoming traffic but your right of way lane has sufficient space to pass him on the right, it is NOT illegal, HOWEVER; if you use a right turn only lane, or a bike lane you CAN be cited for improper lane usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold15 View Post
Merging into Interstate Traffic

Please understand that the 'on ramp' from a surface street/bridge to the Interstate is called an ACCELERATION LANE. The idea is that by the time you reach your point of merging into the interstate thru traffic, your vehicle is already at interstate speed for a smooth transition over.

Even in light/no traffic, way too many drivers get to the end/bottom of the ramp and STOP, sitting there with their left signal on. I don't get it... keep it moving... what in the world are you waiting for?

I hate when I get to the bottom of the ramp and some dude in an SUV jumps into the zipper striped area to pass me then blocks me into the shoulder as the ramp merges on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I have to agree with that. Suppose you are driving along minding your own business and some knucklehead up ahead makes an unjustified stop or does some other ridiculous maneuver.

Why should you get punished just because you happen to be behind them? I had some woman back right into me at a drive thru and there I was sitting on the horn and yelling out the window at her to stop. Did it do any good? No.
While I do completely understand and agree with what you mean, I have seen people do it, it's stupid...Georgia has a "Following too close" law, or in general what they consider 3 seconds count from a stationary object or less is too close. If you rear end someone it is because you were to close to the vehicle to come to a slow or a stop before the vehicle made his sudden change and unless the driver did something ridiculous like stopping on the interstate or possibly stopping at a keep moving sign, ect, its very difficult to get around that law.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 06-22-2016 at 10:31 AM..

Old 06-22-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I always watch out for pedestrians. IMO way more than most Atlanta drivers BTW. I have been honked at numerous times due to waiting for people to cross the street. Due to me being solidly dependent on MARTA during my college years and almost being hit by cars on a consistent basis (was bumped a few times, luckily wasn't hurt, my spouse has also been hit cycling in GA) I always look out for pedestrians and cyclist.

However, streets I am speaking about are small streets. One that comes to mind is the intersection of Boone Blvd and W. Lake. I used that street to take my kid to school. I many times had to wait 10 minutes for 5 cars to turn left at that intersections, which in a bad traffic time caused big backups in the line.

It is not dangerous go around a left turning car to keep going straight. Pedestrians should not be crossing in front of you going straight anyway. The left turning car would be the one to hit them, not the straight going car.

Again, this is a gripe of mine due to me being from the area I am from. People always move up when they are turning left and give the cars behind them the chance to go straight on green. It is considered common courtesy while driving where I'm from and due to the attitudes in Atlanta about it and ignorance about the law, it is just my biggest gripe about driving there.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Which basically strengthens my point that passing on the right is indeed illegal except under extreme and very seldom circumstances.

If you're on a 2 lane highway, 1 lane each way and the guy infront of you is about to turn left but has to wait for oncoming traffic but your right of way lane has sufficient space to pass him on the right, it is NOT illegal, HOWEVER; if you use a right turn only lane, or a bike lane you CAN be cited for improper lane usage.
It is not illegal in the scenario I described and is not a seldom circumstance, if like me, you try to avoid the bigger, busier streets and use side streets for commuting. On the bigger streets, it actually is not an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta