Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 11:22 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times

Advertisements

It looks to me like you were in his blind spot.

I'm always amazed at how many people don't actually turn their head and LOOK before merging to the left. That's like the first day of driver ed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 07:36 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,365,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

I'm always amazed at how many people don't actually turn their head and LOOK before merging to the left. That's like the first day of driver ed.

They must have money to waste because I know I make sure I avoid accidents at all costs because I can't afford the repercussions. I heavily use defensive driving anyway. Don't trust these drivers.

I saw your post, NeedCamero. My problem isn't so much the people who are doing 75/80...it's the drivers who aren't checking their blind spots and not staying in their lane. The people going 60 in a 65 mile per hour zone in the extreme left lane is also a problem along with people coming in front of you without using their indicator and not speeding up. Last but not least, some are speeding and zooming in and out of traffic dangerously cutting off drivers. That's another problem!

Old 02-22-2018, 11:29 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,994,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
They must have money to waste because I know I make sure I avoid accidents at all costs because I can't afford the repercussions. I heavily use defensive driving anyway. Don't trust these drivers.

I saw your post, NeedCamero. My problem isn't so much the people who are doing 75/80...it's the drivers who aren't checking their blind spots and not staying in their lane. The people going 60 in a 65 mile per hour zone in the extreme left lane is also a problem along with people coming in front of you without using their indicator and not speeding up. Last but not least, some are speeding and zooming in and out of traffic dangerously cutting off drivers. That's another problem!

So I never drive more than 10 miles above the speed limit--but I have to drive in the far left lane every day for certain stretches--going 75-S in order to get on 85-N which exits to the left. Then again on 85-N in order to stay on 85-N and not exit onto 400. I know there have been times when I have annoyed faster drivers in the left lane, however if I don't get over to the left as soon as I can, I may miss my opportunity. So I'm asking for patience for the slow drivers within a few miles of these junctions!

Old 02-22-2018, 11:36 AM

32,022 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
So I never drive more than 10 miles above the speed limit--but I have to drive in the far left lane every day for certain stretches--going 75-S in order to get on 85-N which exits to the left. Then again on 85-N in order to stay on 85-N and not exit onto 400. I know there have been times when I have annoyed faster drivers in the left lane, however if I don't get over to the left as soon as I can, I may miss my opportunity. So I'm asking for patience for the slow drivers within a few miles of these junctions!
That has got to be one of the most dangerous and difficult sections of freeway in the whole metro area. It is so hard to get over to the left, immediately after you enter the freeway. Many times people barreling south on 75 won't give an inch.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:35 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,358,427 times
Quote:

This is why I actively stay out of blind spots as much as possible. I'm always watching the driver in front of me to either side to be prepared for whatever they might do. After 14 years in Atlanta, I've learned to read little clues, and am surprised at how often I correctly predict what crazy action a driver is going to take five seconds before they do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
You don't have to be in the far left lane on 85N at the 400 exit. There are three lanes which continue 85N. Now, you do have to be in the far left lane if you want to get around the multiple lanes of people trying to "get in" at the last second to the 400 exit, effectively stopping 4 lanes in the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
That has got to be one of the most dangerous and difficult sections of freeway in the whole metro area. It is so hard to get over to the left, immediately after you enter the freeway. Many times people barreling south on 75 won't give an inch.
Yep...I'd love to see a study on how many people enter from the Northside/Howell Mill ramp and then exit onto I-85N. I'd venture to say, based on my experience, that the answer is somewhere between 99.7% and 99.9%. It's always a mess with people entering from Northside/Howell Mill and then trying to scramble across three always-busy lanes in less than half a mile.

But, I'm also flabbergasted at how many people from the right or 2nd-right lane cut across to the 85N exit after the exit has already split (or vice versa). I'd say 40% of the time I'm at that split, it happens.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:59 PM

11,794 posts, read 8,008,183 times
I personally hate the I-285 / U.S. 78 Stone Mnt Freeway Interchange a bit more than than the I-75S / I-85N ramp, although I agree that interchange does kind of suck. Another unforgiving interchange is Cobb Pkwy entering I-285 South.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
This is why I actively stay out of blind spots as much as possible. I'm always watching the driver in front of me to either side to be prepared for whatever they might do. After 14 years in Atlanta, I've learned to read little clues, and am surprised at how often I correctly predict what crazy action a driver is going to take five seconds before they do it.
Normally I try to stay out of blind spots but that was a left hand merge and I needed to get some momentum to keep with the flow of traffic. Also if you check, he merged on me before the lane even fully joined the highway. I would have been passed him if he had waited.

Old 02-22-2018, 02:53 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,138,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I personally hate the I-285 / U.S. 78 Stone Mnt Freeway Interchange a bit more than than the I-75S / I-85N ramp, although I agree that interchange does kind of suck. Another unforgiving interchange is Cobb Pkwy entering I-285 South.

Normally I try to stay out of blind spots but that was a left hand merge and I needed to get some momentum to keep with the flow of traffic. Also if you check, he merged on me before the lane even fully joined the highway. I would have been passed him if he had waited.

YES!!!! This is a dangerous interchange and what causes 285 to back up in both directions during rush hours.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:02 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,358,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Mormally I try to stay out of blind spots but that was a left hand merge and I needed to get some momentum to keep with the flow of traffic. Also if you check, he merged on me before the lane even fully joined the highway. I would have been passed him if he had waited.
Was it even a merge? Your lane appeared to keep going. That person was just a moron and came over “the V”. One of his epitome who has to be in the far left lane at all times.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:59 PM

654 posts, read 527,179 times
My favorite is people who will leave the right lane and dip into an on ramp to pass you. When the on ramp is about to merge into my lane. Seriously dude, I know I was only going the speed limit but using the on ramp to pass when I75 is five lanes wide is embarrassing.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:51 AM

11,794 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Default Pet peeves driving within the metro / unclarification / bad signs / laws

Disclaimer: No city is perfect... none. This isn't an attempt to bash Atlanta - there will always be some issues somewhere regardless of how well or how poorly we design any city - there's just some things that just stand out to me and continuously irritate me when I drive within the metro.

No trucks over 6 wheels Left 2 Lanes.

Not only is this law hardly enforced unless you're in Dekalb County (and lately not even there so much anymore), but certain parts of the metro don't exactly clarify it either. For example, on I-85 through Northeast Dekalb and most of Gwinnett, the sign says no trucks in left two lanes, and often would there be a Semi in the second before left lane (especially at night) -- the thing is, they don't exactly clarify if they consider the HOT lane as the far left lane, or if the lane just to the right of it is considered the far left GP lane.. which I personally believe they mean the far left GP lane, meaning the far 2 left GP lanes should be clear of trucks as obviously there should never be any tractor trailers in the HOT lane.

===========================================

Right turn on red.

So this is one thing that bugged me alot.

Frequently I would come up to a T - Intersection and there would be a Yield sign to turn right onto the street that dead ends onto the street you're turning from, which means the only possible traffic you could be yielding too would be traffic turning from the left coming from the oncoming lanes, however; according to state law... Left turn traffic must yield to ALL oncoming traffic, including traffic turning right.. rarely do I see this acknowledged, most people believe that right turns have to yield to traffic turning left into their lanes and left turners will take the opportunity to cut off traffic turning right which technically would cause an at-fault accident on part of the traffic turning left UNLESS they have a protected left turn arrow. This law is intended for all intersections and not just T-Intersections, even if the right turn lane is separated by a dividing island.

http://www.dot.ga.gov/PartnerSmart/B...ld%20signs.pdf

On page 24 here as well -
http://www.eregulations.com/wp-conte...GADM-Final.pdf

Nothing states that right turners are required to yield to left turning traffic.

Typically..I did anyway, only to avoid a possible collision but it still irritated me to no end.

Incorrect signage on Interstates:

This sign: https://goo.gl/maps/VFY3MBPuYq92 has ALWAYS irritated me to no end! I've reported it and they state they see no issue.. Whats the issue? The mileage is wrong...

The sign states that the exit for I-575 is 1.75 miles away, truth is... in every vehicle I've driven.. the exit is only 1.25 miles from that point.. https://goo.gl/maps/Sh8oihgxTym that is a half of a mile difference..and if you didn't know the area and were in the left lane the sign leads you to believe you have alot more time than you really have to merge and exit.

Windy Hill / Cobb Pkwy traffic light:

If this light doesn't just blatantly scream red light camera scam, I don't know what does... The green phase on Windy Hill is just WAY too short.. traffic would be backed up for miles and it will stay green for cross traffic for like 10 seconds and then try to grab some funds from frustrated drivers.

Various traffic lights at night:

This happens all over the metro at select intersections. There wont be a soul not even a ghost waiting at the cross street and the light will not only turn red for no apparent reason..but also stay red for like 5 minutes to allow some dust and leaves to blow through the intersections.

To name a few:

Canton Hwy @ Church St just outside of Downtown Marietta.
Just about every light between Highpoint Rd and Scenic Hwy on U.S. 78.
Sugarloaf Pkwy @ Longmont drive and also Dunhill drive (both about half a mile away from Five Forks Trickum)

Wonky and dangerous left turn situations:

So it seems like when Georgia adopted those flashing left turn arrows (good idea) they decided to include the opportunity to confuse drivers into steering your vehicle into oncoming traffic by not giving certain intersections a green arrow EVEN WHEN THEY COULD (meaning left turning traffic from both sides at the same time would likely not cause a dangerous situation).

Sugarloaf Pkwy and Five Forks Trickum comes to mind. Traffic traveling eastbound on Sugarloaf Pkwy will get a flashing yellow turn arrow before eastbound traffic gets a green light. Traffic traveling westbound will get a green light at the same time left turners heading eastbound get the flashing arrow... this is normal.. the issue is there's a curve and a huge blind spot on Sugarloaf Pkwy making it impossible to see around, and sometimes Sugarloaf will go through an entire cycle without allowing eastbound traffic to have a protected left turn arrow and westbound traffic is typically very heavy.

----

See that left turn yield on green sign at this intersection?
https://goo.gl/maps/86rah5WuRoq
I'm the reason its there.

This one irritated me to no end - Traffic would frequently turn left onto Lawrenceville Suawanne Rd without yielding to the oncoming traffic exiting the subdivision making a collision highly possible. I contacted Gwinnett DOT and practically demanded they fix it. First they put up the sign, they confirmed they would later upgrade the signal...and they did.

Do you have any to add?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta