Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 04:35 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,962,983 times

Advertisements

The state is actually handing MARTA millions of dollars this year to help fix/upgrade station signage, so things are a-changing.

They do need to get it together though. If they could just cover the major stops (like they do in Fulton and Dekalb), that would be fine.

Last edited by alco89; 06-28-2016 at 04:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 05:48 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,472,468 times
If MARTA intends to be a top-level transit system (yes, I know it needs more rail routes and bus routes to be top level, but what I'm talking about is on-time service, logistics, payment systems, etc.) then it needs to have shelters or at a minimum benches at every stop. And trash cans.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:00 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
How do you know they have not already attended a board meeting?maybr they have attended and voiced their complaint to no avail. Complaining online might help this person to spread awareness.
If that is the case, then the OP can tell us which meetings they attended and the response to the board. I am not trying to cut the OP down, but encouraging them where to find the answers.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:06 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,477,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
The state is actually handing MARTA millions of dollars this year to help fix/upgrade station signage, so things are a-changing.

They do need to get it together though. If they could just cover the major stops (like they do in Fulton and Dekalb), that would be fine.
I totally Agree. It's just my personal opinion and I have to state specifically this is just my personal opinion, I feel that Marta should complete the basic projects like the Clayton County Bus Roll out in a Quality manner and get contracts resolved with the Advertiser. If not, just build at least 50 None Ad Shelters along the 8 to 9 Routes through out the county. Compete a project with Quality before jumping into major projects like Commuter Rail. We all know Shelters can't and will not be at every stop, that's just unrealistic but at least provide up to standard. At the very least provide benches, trash cans and adequate trash service at the stops comparable to that in Fulton and DeKalb, that's all the Citizens are asking for, not a hand out. All these issues go back to the Fall out of Marta and its Advertiser not adding Clayton into the agreement to be honest and Clayton it paying the price unfortunately, especially with the Trash service. If Marta cant get their basic projects and contracts in order like the Clayton Roll out with adequate bus stops and not just throw a bus stop poll up, how can we in trust them to do a great job with massive Multi Million Dollar projects like Rail expansion. Bus stops, Shelters, Benches and Trash removal are on the Basic end. Were not even going to Talk about schedules, and bus stop arrival times at bus stops right now, we just need the basics.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:06 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Would you rather have funds from Clayton's 1/2% escrow for grade separated transit go to fund bus shelters? A great idea would be for one of the organized groups that brought MARTA to Clayton to start a crowd sourcing fund to raise money that they could leverage to get grants, corporate money, or work with MARTA Army and fund simple shelters.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:31 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,366,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Thanks DreamerD, it's all about helping and being a voice to the people.. If we don't help each other and our communtity, what are we, what good are we. That's what's wrong with the world today, we don't stop to think what the next man may be gg through.

I thought about this. Can you really be surprised? The mainstream culture is so individualistic. We are more taught to think of ourselves versus other people. Most people are.not that deep to see past this kind of thing and instead value empathy.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
I totally Agree. It's just my personal opinion and I have to state specifically this is just my personal opinion, I feel that Marta should complete the basic projects like the Clayton County Bus Roll out in a Quality manner and get contracts resolved with the Advertiser. If not, just build at least 50 None Ad Shelters along the 8 to 9 Routes through out the county. Compete a project with Quality before jumping into major projects like Commuter Rail. We all know Shelters can't and will not be at every stop, that's just unrealistic but at least provide up to standard. At the very least provide benches, trash cans and adequate trash service at the stops comparable to that in Fulton and DeKalb, that's all the Citizens are asking for, not a hand out. All these issues go back to the Fall out of Marta and its Advertiser not adding Clayton into the agreement to be honest and Clayton it paying the price unfortunately, especially with the Trash service. If Marta cant get their basic projects and contracts in order like the Clayton Roll out with adequate bus stops and not just throw a bus stop poll up, how can we in trust them to do a great job with massive Multi Million Dollar projects like Rail expansion. Bus stops, Shelters, Benches and Trash removal are on the Basic end. Were not even going to Talk about schedules, and bus stop arrival times at bus stops right now, we just need the basics.

Umm...are schedules not also basic? If i am unfamiliar wih an area, should I not be able to come to a bus stop and know all the buses that come to that stop, where they go, and when will be the next bus? I guess wih technology some of us can look yhese things up online. I was not able to when I had to use marta but I still think that a bus schedule is the bare minum any bus stop should have. Sorry for spelling.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:37 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
I thought about this. Can you really be surprised? The mainstream culture is so individualistic. We are more taught to think of ourselves versus other people. Most people are.not that deep to see past this kind of thing and instead value empathy.
Or maybe most people don't equate empathy with demanding MARTA give them free sh*t.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
If that is the case, then the OP can tell us which meetings they attended and the response to the board. I am not trying to cut the OP down, but encouraging them where to find the answers.
I went to a board meeting once. I honestly felt it was just a place and rime people could vent. MARTA is a business and like any business, they will make changes to benefit themselves. And like others have said, they don't havr the funds to to make themselves a much better transit system.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:50 AM

Or maybe most people don't. equate empathy with demandi

Well I was more thinking about state funding and it helping MARTA to be a much btter transit service. Yes, it isnn't free. People would have to want to contribute and that is where the lack of empathy comes in. Atlanta is just different though. Oher major cities see their transport system as a huge part of their lives and their lives are very much impacted by it. Many of these cities are much older and the transit was worked into their infrastructure as heir cities grew. Marta, from what I have seen, is merely an option to people. It is not seen as something that has a great impact on people's lives though it is for some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta