Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 06:11 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunketsu View Post
It's hilarious how out-of-shape Americans are. They think the hills of San Francisco are challenging to walk up! They're not that challenging unless you're carrying heavy stuff.

This is not true...I assume from that statement that you've never actually walked around SF!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
I get what you're saying and agree in principle, but this google image is depressing. It's a soulless stretch. Where are people? Where is life?

I hate it when someone says this kind of nonsense...photos aren't usually taken to show pedestrian life - unless that is the point of the photo. There are quiet times in every area of every city, so one still photo is not an indictment of anything. Geez.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:31 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,473,679 times
Joe...sorry to offend bro! Happy 4th! Hugs and kisses.

Old 07-05-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Joe...sorry to offend bro! Happy 4th! Hugs and kisses.

I'm not offended...but maybe you could check out that "soulless stretch" at prime time one day and let us know what you find. I bet it won't be empty.

Old 07-05-2016, 03:38 PM

261 posts, read 218,116 times
I'm an avid walker and urban denizen, and I have to say, downtown SF is pretty hard! And I have no idea how to people cycle there, although they clearly do.

The prevailing climate does make hoofing it up the hills considerably more tolerable than it would be around here. Still, I worked up a mild sweat on every one of my non-trivial walks in downtown SF, and that was in the middle of October and I don't believe myself to be out of shape as a pedestrian. I'd still take it any day over a walk half those distances in GA, but it definitely takes some physiological adaptation.

Old 07-05-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abalashov View Post
I'm an avid walker and urban denizen, and I have to say, downtown SF is pretty hard! And I have no idea how to people cycle there, although they clearly do.

The prevailing climate does make hoofing it up the hills considerably more tolerable than it would be around here. Still, I worked up a mild sweat on every one of my non-trivial walks in downtown SF, and that was in the middle of October and I don't believe myself to be out of shape as a pedestrian. I'd still take it any day over a walk half those distances in GA, but it definitely takes some physiological adaptation.
Downtown Atlanta has some SF-like hills along International and other parallel streets, and they are nightmarish in July. Almost any walk of any length in the height of summer heat is more than I care to do in Atlanta. Other times of day can be pretty pleasant tho.

Old 07-05-2016, 05:45 PM

536 posts, read 639,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
This is not true...I assume from that statement that you've never actually walked around SF!
Sure have walked the hills of SF! Yes, you're going to be breathing heavier after walking up a SF hill. But it's not like some challenging ordeal or something if you're fit. It does help that SF's cool climate is supportive of walking. I do agree that with Atlanta's humidity, it would be far more challenging.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:46 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,473,679 times
Quote:
I'm not offended...but maybe you could check out that "soulless stretch" at prime time one day and let us know what you find. I bet it won't be empty.
Sure seemed to be offended. Anyway, the poster billed this as an ideal residential environment, the discussion wasn't about lively entertainment areas. It just seemed weird to not see one person out heading to work in the morning or walking the dog or walking to Kale Me Crazy. But to each his own. There are plenty of options to suit many definitions of ideal.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:13 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
Quote:
Downtown Atlanta has some SF-like hills along International and other parallel streets, and they are nightmarish in July. Almost any walk of any length in the height of summer heat is more than I care to do in Atlanta. Other times of day can be pretty pleasant tho.
I used to walk the street between Marietta Street and Civic Center Station along Ivan Allen on a daily...it was hell and I was marathoner at the time.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:49 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,378,186 times
Quote:
Sure seemed to be offended. Anyway, the poster billed this as an ideal residential environment, the discussion wasn't about lively entertainment areas. It just seemed weird to not see one person out heading to work in the morning or walking the dog or walking to Kale Me Crazy. But to each his own. There are plenty of options to suit many definitions of ideal.

The image also showed the date being March. The barren trees and lighting suggested still chilly and very early morning. The café umbrellas weren't up yet and a lot of those probably don't open early. That neighborhood takes a while to liven up. From noon onward it probably picks up. Inman Park ranks as one of the most walkable areas due to that core and close proximity to Little 5 Points' business district. Inman Park is one of my favorite areas. I hope I can make real estate investments there someday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta