Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 08:27 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,874,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
You can't put a nice shop in an area of things are going to come rob it.

Is it racist? Not necessarily. [b] After all, you can look at the Atlanta police department crime reports and plainly see that many years EVERY SINGLE HOMICIDE in the city is committed by African Americans. Most years it is 90%+.
first off, you can't call black people "things" and accuse them of killing everyone and say that's "not necessarily racist". i would like to see you experience one damn day of being a black person. but you know what? let's take this from a different angle. have you noticed that EVERY SINGLE HOMICIDE in the city is committed by a MAN? look at those police reports again. if you want to kick out black residents, fine, but we're kicking out all these testosterone-loaded maniacs too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 09:28 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,320,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
first off, you can't call black people "things" and accuse them of killing everyone and say that's "not necessarily racist". i would like to see you experience one damn day of being a black person. but you know what? let's take this from a different angle. have you noticed that EVERY SINGLE HOMICIDE in the city is committed by a MAN? look at those police reports again. if you want to kick out black residents, fine, but we're kicking out all these testosterone-loaded maniacs too.
Things was a typo. It was supposed to say thugs.

But, yes, you're right it is men more than women. So strictly speaking the main issue causing most of Atlanta's crime is African American males.

I never said I want to kick out black residents. I hope Atlanta stays diverse because it's one of this city's strengths. What I said was that nearly every homicide in Atlanta is committed by African Americans and thus gentrification by default is going to displace more black residents because they are the ones committing the crime. It doesn't mean they have to be replaced with white people. They can be kicked out and replaced with other black families, and if those black families are honest productive people then they too are part of gentrification. Gentrification doesn't mean replacing black with white, it means replacing criminals with productive members of society so that an area becomes saf, clean, and nice.

You say I should experience being a black person. I hear you, it's rough. Racism is still alive and well. But at some point you have to stop and think maybe there's a reason people have preconceived notions, and you have to work to change those. When every homicide in a large city is committed by one race you can't blame people for being a bit skittish.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:23 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
After all, you can look at the Atlanta police department crime reports and plainly see that many years EVERY SINGLE HOMICIDE in the city is committed by African Americans. Most years it is 90%+.
Is that true? It seems rather hard to believe.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:51 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,693,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Is that true? It seems rather hard to believe.
I looked through the APD reports for this year and so far it's true. I would caution taking that as any statement, though, since the city itself is such a small percentage of the metro, and is such a majority black population.

You'll likely see more whites committing homicides outside the city than within it. The numbers for the metro probably scale pretty well to the population and poverty stats, though that's a bit more invested analysis than I am up for.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:02 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,874,004 times
5 Facts That Shatter the Myth of 'Black-on-Black' Crime

Old 07-07-2016, 11:03 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,224 times
Quote:
Gentrification is a wonderful thing. It's why property values are going up throughout Atlanta, and why people can actual walk around and not get shot. It's also why we are getting all of the investment in midtown, food halls, the beltline, etc. Guess what? People don't invest in ghettos. You can't put a nice shop in an area of things are going to come rob it. Gentrification is the only thing SAVING Atlanta.

Is it racist? Not necessarily. All races are part of gentrification. Wealthy educated African Americans, Hispanics, Asians, and whites are all part of the new wave of people gentrifying Atlanta. Are the "undesirables" being pushed out mostly black? Yes, they are. Unfortunately, the vast majority of crime in Atlanta is committed by black residents, so in order for areas to truly become safe it makes sense that the ones being pushed out are black. After all, you can look at the Atlanta police department crime reports and plainly see that many years EVERY SINGLE HOMICIDE in the city is committed by African Americans. Most years it is 90%+. But it doesn't mean they have to be replaced by white people. Many times they are replaced by more affluent black families.
Its like this because most of the poor Atlanta residents are black. If you look at the police report in Johnstown ,PA, Seattle, Boston etc it will be majority white people arrested for crimes

Old 07-07-2016, 11:15 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
I looked through the APD reports for this year and so far it's true. I would caution taking that as any statement, though, since the city itself is such a small percentage of the metro, and is such a majority black population.
Well, the city is just barely majority black.

It's hard to believe that all (or even nearly all) homicides are committed by black people.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:55 AM

376 posts, read 330,518 times
I think what I find very galling is you have neighborhoods where for decades the community hasn't done anything to improve their neighborhood, trash everywhere etc. Then when some people come in and start fixing things up they actually complain that the area might become too nice and 'gentrified'. Give me a break.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, the city is just barely majority black.

It's hard to believe that all (or even nearly all) homicides are committed by black people.
Hard to believe, but true. APD puts race on their reports. All homicides this year have been committed by black residents. And most years it is usually 90% or more. They do make up a majority of the population, but it's not substantial - Atlanta is about 50% AA versus 40% white.

I don't know why it's so hard to believe. A lot of people instinctively cry racism when statistics are discussed but there is nothing racist about a set of numbers. The reality is that black residents comitt a disproportionatly large amount of the crime in Atlanta.

Old 07-07-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
This article is horrible and proves my point even more. It has FBI crime stats showing that 448 black people killed white people versus only 193 white people killing blacks...despite the US being 72% white and 13% black.

It also showed that th 13% black population committed a total of 2,895 murders in 2011 FBI crime date versus the 72% white population committing a total of 2,823.

Those are NOT good statistics. If you're trying to dispel the black crime statistics that isn't the article you should be posting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta