Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 02:31 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,693,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
We all would love to lift everyone out of poverty and have no more crime or urban blight. But, we can't. There aren't enough resources, and some people just don't want to be productive. We all imagine the single mother who wants to work but can't find a job or affordable child care, but for everyone of her there are 3 or 4 thugs who CHOSE to join a gang rather than finish high school. They CHOOSE to spend their time robbing from hardworking people than working for their own income. They would rather kill and take than sit down and work on a resume and get a job. And unfortunately no amount of resources poured into bad neighborhoods is going to reach those kind of people. Some people have grown up watching the thug life be glorified by their friends, and in rap songs, and they just want to be part of it regardless of what assistance the government is willing to give them.

So, of the 42,700,000 Americans in poverty, you say that a full 3/4 or 4/5 of them are criminals? Is that your thought process?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 05:16 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,156,709 times
I would probably be fine with gentrification if the people displaced were given affordable housing that was at least as good in quality and location as what they previously had. Unfortunately that is not what is happening--they're just removed and left to fend for themselves. That's one reason why poverty is emigrating to the suburbs.

Gentrification by itself solves nothing. It just moves the problem--poverty--from one place to another.

Old 07-07-2016, 05:23 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,156,709 times
Quote:
We all would love to lift everyone out of poverty and have no more crime or urban blight. But, we can't. There aren't enough resources, and some people just don't want to be productive. We all imagine the single mother who wants to work but can't find a job or affordable child care, but for everyone of her there are 3 or 4 thugs who CHOSE to join a gang rather than finish high school. They CHOOSE to spend their time robbing from hardworking people than working for their own income. They would rather kill and take than sit down and work on a resume and get a job. And unfortunately no amount of resources poured into bad neighborhoods is going to reach those kind of people. Some people have grown up watching the thug life be glorified by their friends, and in rap songs, and they just want to be part of it regardless of what assistance the government is willing to give them.
I do not have enough facepalms in the world for that ridiculous post.

Tell me, where did you get all this information? Where did you learn how poverty works and how to treat it? And what is up with the thinly-veiled racism, which any black person could see a mile away in your words?

Old 07-08-2016, 01:24 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,127 times
Quote:
The error with this line is most people who live in "hoods" are not criminals

It more like for every few hundreds of people the hood there is only a dozen or so criminals. Most people in hoods are not criminals, most people in hoods are lower income people who obey laws.

This is the slippery slope why people respond to OP, his post wasn't about uplifting the people in the neighborhood it's removing the neighborhood.

This is also why this always turn into race. Because there such a lack of empathy. Sadly even in today much improve race relation.

it comes of as the people in the 'hood" are not my people.... there for I do not care for them...... it's their problems not ours...... there no hope for them... I don't care to understand them, I will generalize, profile and speak very ignorant of them.......

Old 07-08-2016, 06:51 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
We all would love to lift everyone out of poverty and have no more crime or urban blight. But, we can't. There aren't enough resources, and some people just don't want to be productive.
But there's a LOT of room for improvement in metro Atlanta. Again, it ranks almost at the bottom for upward economic mobility among the nation's 50 largest metros and that should be unacceptable. Saying everyone doesn't want to be helped doesn't mean you don't do as much as possible to help the people who do want to be helped, and there are many of them. I'd say they constitute the majority as a matter of fact.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:49 AM

376 posts, read 330,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
I do not have enough facepalms in the world for that ridiculous post.

Tell me, where did you get all this information? Where did you learn how poverty works and how to treat it? And what is up with the thinly-veiled racism, which any black person could see a mile away in your words?
This wasn't my post but I'll respond to this. Where did you get YOUR information about how these neighborhoods work? Have you spent any time in these 'hoods'? Have you gone into the schools over there and seen what really goes on? Or do you form your opinions about how things are while sitting in a coffee shop in Decatur?

Old 07-08-2016, 08:18 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,320,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTravelinMan View Post
Have you gone into the schools over there and seen what really goes on? Or do you form your opinions about how things are while sitting in a coffee shop in Decatur?
I find this hilarious and so true. Those young white people who the most vigorous in pretending black crime is not an issue always seem to move to midtown, Virginia Highland, decatur, etc. Why is that? Perhaps because it's safe. And why exactly is it so safe? Why don't those same people move to the Southwest side instead since there is no black crime issue. It should be just as safe there then. Certainly you could get more bang for your buck!

Old 07-08-2016, 09:19 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
I find this hilarious and so true. Those young white people who the most vigorous in pretending black crime is not an issue always seem to move to midtown, Virginia Highland, decatur, etc. Why is that? Perhaps because it's safe. And why exactly is it so safe? Why don't those same people move to the Southwest side instead since there is no black crime issue. It should be just as safe there then. Certainly you could get more bang for your buck!
You can't be serious. Young White people are often among the first gentrifiers in any city.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:27 AM

32,024 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTravelinMan View Post
You don't need a lawn service company to pick up litter and wack some weeds.
This I have to agree with. I am technically elderly but I can still run a weed whacker and a mower.

For picking up trash and pine cones, I use one of these. They are only $2.99 and you can usually get them for 20% off, which brings them down to $2.39.

I bet if the government used its mass purchasing power they could get them even cheaper. Why not buy a zillion of them and pass them out to the citizens for free? You could have an immediate impact on the city for very little money.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:30 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
This I have to agree with. I am technically elderly but I can still run a weed whacker and a mower.

For picking up trash and pine cones, I use one of these. They are only $2.99 and you can usually get them for 20% off, which brings them down to $2.39.

I bet if the government used its mass purchasing power they could get them even cheaper. Why not buy a zillion of them and pass them out to the citizens for free? You could have an immediate impact on the city for very little money.

You are also not lower/working class so therefore you can afford a better diet, healthcare, etc. It's not cheap to eat healthy and many old timers grew up eating unhealthy because it was the norm back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta