Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 06:13 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
That's per 100k people. America has a population of over 320 million.
  • 25.8/9.7 = over 2.6X a higher suicide rates for non-Hispanic whites than for blacks.
  • There were 43,000 suicides in the US in 2014.
  • Suicide was the second most common cause of death for Americans aged 15-34. Number one was unintentional injuries, which I presume mostly includes car crashes.

Yes, I know. For every 2 blacks who commit suicide, ~5 whites have. Any way you run the numbers, it's not some huge difference and it's definitely not 0. Throw in the demographics of the city of Atlanta and you have 41.6 whites for every 22 blacks, less than double (assuming suicide rates are similar for Atlanta to the US overall). It's not that much more rare for a black person to commit suicide vs whites in the city of Atlanta. People online act like it doesn't happen which just simply is not the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 07:55 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,520,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post
Suicide amongst middle to lower class whites is on the rise as they are pushed out of our society.
pushed out by whom? Surely not blacks.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:04 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,627,599 times
From the AJC:

" Police said the scene was consistent with that of a suicide. “There were no discernible signs of a struggle or foul play,” Hannah said. A “Fulton County medical examiner concurred that the death was consistent with a suicide.

According to the police report, the man had marks on the front of his jeans and light pollen on the front of his shirt — marks consistent with climbing a tree. Next to the tree was a large, wheeled garbage can, green in color with a black top. “I then examined the top of the garbage can and noted shoe prints were near the top edges of the can,” police said. “The shoe prints appeared to be fresh and were the same pattern as the shoes the male was wearing.”

Can we all now shut up about murder most foul. ***damn

Old 07-08-2016, 09:08 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
From the AJC:

" Police said the scene was consistent with that of a suicide. “There were no discernible signs of a struggle or foul play,” Hannah said. A “Fulton County medical examiner concurred that the death was consistent with a suicide.

According to the police report, the man had marks on the front of his jeans and light pollen on the front of his shirt — marks consistent with climbing a tree. Next to the tree was a large, wheeled garbage can, green in color with a black top. “I then examined the top of the garbage can and noted shoe prints were near the top edges of the can,” police said. “The shoe prints appeared to be fresh and were the same pattern as the shoes the male was wearing.”

Can we all now shut up about murder most foul. ***damn

Thank you and goodnight.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:19 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,436,068 times
I know some don't like the mayor, but I admire his leadership and statements downplaying Kkk rumor and lynching.

Old 07-08-2016, 11:27 PM

560 posts, read 666,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
I know some don't like the mayor, but I admire his leadership and statements downplaying Kkk rumor and lynching.
I like Kasim. Think he's the 2nd best mayor in my lifetime, after Andy Young.

Old 07-09-2016, 05:36 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,449,141 times
A pretty smart homicide investigator once said to me.......

When you hear hoof beats.....think horses, not zebras. In other words, look at the obvious signs at the scene, before you come to the conclusion that it was a case of alien abduction.........

The idea of "transference of physical evidence " is right there, in this particular case. The principle is that there will be physical evidence left at the scene, and physical evidence will be taken away from the scene. That isn't a new concept.

One of the common errors that many US Police commit is allowing a large number of officers to wander around the scene, making the contamination of the area much more likely. And why are they still using hand held flashlights at night ? Surely a generator and flood lights can be a part of the inventory in the crime scene van ? And a tent , to protect the physical evidence when it is raining, or snowing ?

Jim B.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:05 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Whoever started this is certainly no friend of the ATL. The story is propagating through Facebook as an example of how backwards Atlanta is.

Old 07-09-2016, 07:08 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
pushed out by whom? Surely not blacks.
No, it has to do with the transition of the economy going from manufacturing-based to a service/information-based one and automation-based is right around the corner. A lot of people regardless of their race don't have the skills to adapt to the new economy. But a lot of white working class/blue collar types feel alienated due to their lack of skills for the new economy. Manufacturing nowadays is a lot more technology based and a lot of people who used to provide labor have been frozen out. Lots of white men who are accustomed to getting their way are seeing that their sense of entitlement and supremacy aren't going to help them like it used to and many of them cannot cope when they don't get their way or aren't able to only depend on their whiteness to make things happen for them, so suicide becomes a viable option. Most blacks are a lot more accustomed to struggling and doing what they have to do during the hard times and are often discouraged from suicide due to religious reasons (the threat of eternal damnation is a strong deterrent).

Last edited by biscuit_head; 07-09-2016 at 07:43 AM..

Old 07-09-2016, 07:40 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,467,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Whoever started this is certainly no friend of the ATL. The story is propagating through Facebook as an example of how backwards Atlanta is.
This is the evil side of social media. Anyone can say anything and it can spread like wildfire. Someone on this thread posted something about the media being too powerful but I beg to differ. Social media has all the power. In fact the media is citing twitter way to often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta