Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2016, 02:12 PM

6,610 posts, read 8,986,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Hmm...it depends on who you ask. I have read different on the ATL forum.

I've heard lots of different viewpoints on this subject, but I can only go by my experiences. I guess almost anything depends on who you ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 02:15 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,381,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
If you're more worried about people obstructing traffic than police murdering innocent people, dunno what else to say to you, bud!
Makes me think they don't know who or what they are protesting against. Might as well gather on a runway at HJIA and block takeoffs and landings.

Old 07-09-2016, 02:35 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,336,659 times
I haven't seen thia. Most protesters have been peaceful.

Old 07-09-2016, 02:47 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,336,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I've heard lots of different viewpoints on this subject, but I can only go by my experiences. I guess almost anything depends on who you ask.

I would say that most vlack people who are gay would say that they have experienced discrimination in some form in bars where the majority of patrons are white. It could be the way you are spoken to, looked at, etc. And I don't want to.make it seem as if it is only white people. I am pretry sure most black people would say they have experienced plenty of racism from thoae who are Latino, especially Mexican, Indians, Chinese, etc., at establishments owned by them.

Old 07-09-2016, 03:42 PM

1,054 posts, read 916,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
The officers. Protesters are the opposite. They are usually the ones who get abused.
You must have missed many violent protests through the years. I'm very thankful last night wasn't like that.

You have to wonder what it would have been like if Reed were white.

Old 07-09-2016, 05:45 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,248,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
What I find odd about this thread is white LGBT having major issue with this protest. All of a sudden blacks should be quiet about matters important to us? Very very interesting. I guess we black people are only good when it comes to liberal agendas and nothing else? Curious how the Black LGBT feels about this back turning I have been witnessing? Cops say black 99 times before they see gay.
I posted the third comment in this thread.

Quote:
If you're more worried about people obstructing traffic than police murdering innocent people, dunno what else to say to you, bud!
As a gay white man, I know that while I have experienced discrimination, I have also benefited from the institutions of white supremacy every day I have lived on this planet. It is my responsibility to do whatever is within my power to try to eliminate structural racism anywhere I see it. While I have been physically assaulted, and emotionally abused, and abandoned by family members because of my sexual orientation, I also know that because I am white and middle-class, I do not have to fear for my life when I interact with the police, the government body supposedly in place to protect its citizens. I understand that white silence is violence, and choosing to ignore the pain and suffering that black people experience in this country is tantamount to being the abuser yourself.

I didn't post this to tell you you're wrong, 0nyx, just to tell you that some of us are trying. It will never be enough but I will never stop.

I spent the afternoon today at the Center for Civil and Human Rights. For my fellow white folks reading this thread, I recommend visiting if you never have before... especially before you comment about Black Lives Matter protests in public forums. With all due respect to our mayor, MLK definitely knew a thing or two about marching onto a highway.

Old 07-09-2016, 05:51 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,207,385 times
Quote:
Your "cibil raghts" end when they remove, obstruct, dissuade, or alter access to the same rights OTHERS have...too? That was the problem wasn't it, some black guy pi$$ing in his Cheerios decides to shoot 12 innocent people who hurt no one, killing 5 of those 12 because someone, not judged in a court of law, killed two lack motorists?

That about right? So, you would be cool with a bunch of WLM people obstructing I-85 the next time a white man is killed by a black cop? Google it, it happens.

No, blocking I-85 weakens your case and puts you from peaceful and legal protestor to unlawfully obstructing the rights of others while seeking special treatment.

All equal under the law (except Hillary of course), all aduticated equally. No, they have no right or legal justification to do that. You are risking lives and inciting tension. Knock it he f off.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:04 PM

Quote:
The vast majority of interactions between police officers and civilians end routinely, with no one injured, no one aggrieved and no one making the headlines. But when force is used, a new study has found, the race of the person being stopped by officers is significant.

The report found that although officers employ force in less than 2 percent of all police-civilian interactions, the use of police force is disproportionately high for African-Americans — more than three times greater than for whites.

The study of thousands of use-of-force episodes from police departments across the nation has concluded what many people have long thought, but which could not be proved because of a lack of data: African-Americans are far more likely than whites and other groups to be the victims of use of force by the police, even when racial disparities in crime are taken into account.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/08/us...or-blacks.html

That incites tensions. Protests are a peaceful way of transforming that justified anger into productive action. The chances of you being personally inconvenienced by a protest are astronomically low, but if you ever find yourself in that situation, perhaps you can spend the time reflecting on the times in your life when you've benefited from having police protection that black Americans often do not experience in their communities.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domitian View Post
the protest culture needs to learn from their 60's predecessors. Committing crimes and making like hard on people IS NOT the way to affect change. interrupting my lunch/brunch/parade/etc. IS NOT going to engender support for your cause.
You really need to visit the Center for Civil and Human Rights. Maybe you're not familiar with the lunch counter protests. What they did was considered a crime at the time, and they absolutely interrupted peoples' lunches to do it. Go sit at that counter and listen to the recordings of the insults and threats screamed at the men and women, boys and girls who participated in those peaceful protests. I bet Very Reasonable White People told them that they just shouldn't do anything to aggravate or irritate folks, that it wasn't helping their cause. You know what? It did help their cause.

You say BLM should learn their lessons from the civil rights movement. They already did.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:54 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,728,459 times
Where yall made in the 60s when women were blocking streets marching for equal rights?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta