Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 07:03 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workerbee12 View Post
Hello All,

I got a speeding ticket in your wonderful state. I was zapped on 400 doing 79mph in a 65mph the ticket is over $200. It’s not so much the money it’s the points I am concerned about. How does you state’s traffic court work? In NJ and NY, if you go to court they may drop the points or the ticket will be reduced to a nonmoving violation but you may end-up paying a little more for the ticket. Just by showing up the prosecutor will ask that you take a plea for no points but pay a higher fine and if the officer shows up he (the officer) may even speak to the prosecutor on your behave and reduce the ticket to a nonmoving violation. –This only works if you were not rude to the officer and took your ticket like a man.

My question is there a points system in your state?
If so how does it affect out of state drivers?
Should I go to court or just pay the ticket? If you state’s traffic court is like NJ and NY’s I will go to court and have the ticket reduced.
No points if under 15 mph.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:46 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times
Just curious, are there any traffic lawyers up there? Down in South Florida, speeding and the fines that follow, are so common that ticket lawyers charge between $45-$100 to represent you in court. Usually, you're pleading no contest, which means; you're not saying you're innocent, nor admitting guilt. You get the case dismissed, and you pay a court fee (somewhere around $75-150). You get no points, and that's it. Please tell me GA has a similar revolving door system

Old 12-31-2008, 08:01 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Just curious, are there any traffic lawyers up there? Down in South Florida, speeding and the fines that follow, are so common that ticket lawyers charge between $45-$100 to represent you in court. Usually, you're pleading no contest, which means; you're not saying you're innocent, nor admitting guilt. You get the case dismissed, and you pay a court fee (somewhere around $75-150). You get no points, and that's it. Please tell me GA has a similar revolving door system
You can usually plead no contest but only once every 5 years (unless you have a really bad record and the judge refuses your plea), so you'd do better to save it for a high point ticket.

You can hire a lawyer for a speeding ticket, but my personal opinion is that's swatting a fly with a sledgehammer. In Cobb County you can bargain with the Solicitor and more than likely get the speed reduced in return for a guilty plea, or if you have a clean record you may even be able to get the speeding reduced to something lesser like "basic rules violation" which is $50 and no points (my wife did this).

Unless there were some really unique circumstances or the police fail to make their burden of proof by not showing up, you have very little chance of being found not guilty of speeding. Hiring a lawyer is a huge waste of money and would probably cost more than the ticket if you plea. Call the County Solicitor and ask to make a deal.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:25 PM

293 posts, read 1,106,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workerbee12 View Post
Hello All,

I got a speeding ticket in your wonderful state. I was zapped on 400 doing 79mph in a 65mph the ticket is over $200. It’s not so much the money it’s the points I am concerned about. How does you state’s traffic court work? In NJ and NY, if you go to court they may drop the points or the ticket will be reduced to a nonmoving violation but you may end-up paying a little more for the ticket. Just by showing up the prosecutor will ask that you take a plea for no points but pay a higher fine and if the officer shows up he (the officer) may even speak to the prosecutor on your behave and reduce the ticket to a nonmoving violation. –This only works if you were not rude to the officer and took your ticket like a man.

My question is there a points system in your state?
If so how does it affect out of state drivers?
Should I go to court or just pay the ticket? If you state’s traffic court is like NJ and NY’s I will go to court and have the ticket reduced.
Now that I am looking closer at this thread, people are responding to this original post and they put this on back in February of this year. I would assume that they have this taken care of by now?
However, the other post (dated Christmas Eve of this year) is more recent.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:19 AM

165 posts, read 548,816 times
Our state issues speeding tickets?? How are you people getting caught?

Old 01-03-2009, 08:03 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crux View Post
Did Workerbee mention who issued the ticket? Sandy Springs LEOs are pretty tough along 'their' stretch of 400 as are the Roswell and Alpharetta POlice. I lived there 28 years and never got a ticket so I know whereof you speak, crux.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:23 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crux View Post
Cobb County issues a LOT of speeding tickets, but only on local roads.

I've heard that at one time they also patrolled the interstates which ran through Cobb, but that certain business interests (trucking companies mostly) made that practice an uncomfortable/expensive thing to continue to do.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:58 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,374,690 times
lawyers in GA won't bother with you unless its a DUI. Traffic infractions hardly affect you much if you are in a different state. None of my out of state tickets have ever transferred to GA (or out of GA for that matter).

Old 01-06-2009, 06:01 PM

1 posts, read 12,664 times
Default Union City blues.

Hey all. After reading the posts on here, I thought maybe those that live in the state of Georgia or better yet Fulton County can help me. On my last day f vacationing and on my way to the Atlanta Airport, I was clocked at 72 in a 55 zone off south fulton parkway. Anyhow, I called a lawyer there to possibly represent me and he mentioned it would be $500 for his services and whatever court fines. So here's my question. I've read that if i am to plead guilty and pay the fine, will they automatically reduce the speed 3-5 miles? I ask cause this will drop my miles to only being 12-14 miles over the 55 limit since at 72 i'm at 17 miles over. I'd MUCH rather save myself $500 if it's something I can pay the fine and still not have it affect my insurance premiums. I live in California and just switched my insurance and this would have me payins just tooo much.

Thanks all in advance.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:21 PM

293 posts, read 1,106,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calivisitor View Post
Hey all. After reading the posts on here, I thought maybe those that live in the state of Georgia or better yet Fulton County can help me. On my last day f vacationing and on my way to the Atlanta Airport, I was clocked at 72 in a 55 zone off south fulton parkway. Anyhow, I called a lawyer there to possibly represent me and he mentioned it would be $500 for his services and whatever court fines. So here's my question. I've read that if i am to plead guilty and pay the fine, will they automatically reduce the speed 3-5 miles? I ask cause this will drop my miles to only being 12-14 miles over the 55 limit since at 72 i'm at 17 miles over. I'd MUCH rather save myself $500 if it's something I can pay the fine and still not have it affect my insurance premiums. I live in California and just switched my insurance and this would have me payins just tooo much.

Thanks all in advance.
I would just pay the ticket. It is not worth getting a lawyer for that. I don't think it will do too much (if any) damage to your insurance premiums. Where off of South Fulton Parkway? So I will know to slow down .I live off of South Fulton Parkway in the Fairburn part but I know since they are building that area up they have zoned a portion of that area to be Union City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta