Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 09:41 AM

128 posts, read 149,238 times

Advertisements

The GDOT has an interesting article about rail from Atlanta to Chattanooga. They also have an Atlanta to Charlotte study.
I think it is pretty interesting. I don't particularly care about ATL to CHA but if this is successful it can give Cobb the push they need to alleviate our traffic woes.

See the link below

Atlanta to Chattanooga
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 10:18 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,693,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caragitana View Post
The GDOT has an interesting article about rail from Atlanta to Chattanooga. They also have an Atlanta to Charlotte study.
I think it is pretty interesting. I don't particularly care about ATL to CHA but if this is successful it can give Cobb the push they need to alleviate our traffic woes.

See the link below

Atlanta to Chattanooga
Yeah, this stuff has been around for a while now. GDoT has had a commuter rail plan since, at least, 2006. We've had a state intercity rail plan for about that long too.

Sadly, I think the study for Atlanta -> Charlotte high-speed rail is about the only truly active plan, other than MARTA, of course.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:18 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,411,792 times
Good luck getting the gold dome to fund any sort of high speed rail in this state with it's current makeup.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:42 AM

1,054 posts, read 922,191 times
That attitude is changing

Old 07-17-2016, 10:57 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,245,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caragitana View Post

See the link below

Atlanta to Chattanooga
If Atlanta to Chattanooga rail is under consideration, what is the likelihood of rail service extended to Knoxville and to Nashville?

Old 07-17-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
If Atlanta to Chattanooga rail is under consideration, what is the likelihood of rail service extended to Knoxville and to Nashville?
I don't think there's any official plans for it, but I've seen various special-interest groups propose it, more as standard Amtrak service than as HSR, though that may be on the table.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:31 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,389,102 times
I'm skeptical. So much talk about the Brain Train in the past (Athens-Atlanta), and nothing comes of it.

Old 07-17-2016, 03:19 PM

7,357 posts, read 6,526,600 times
Atlanta-Chattanooga is not the first segment I'd consider for an Atlanta-centric HSR system. I'd propose Savannah first, and it has the advantage of being mostly straight, flat farmland, with the suburban development being less dense than the south Cobb area any Chattanooga HSR will have to punch through. I could also propose Atlanta-Jacksonville first before I could propose Atlanta-Chattanooga. Given the intermediate stops on both, you might be able to convince the rural representatives to fund it. Numerically, they do have the advantage in our Legislature.

Now, I could definitely see an upgraded regional rail running Atlanta-Chattanooga. Upgraded meaning existing line with more track in a few places, but at a maximum speed of 79mph. That would be cheaper than any HSR on any route.

Old 07-17-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Atlanta-Chattanooga is not the first segment I'd consider for an Atlanta-centric HSR system. I'd propose Savannah first, and it has the advantage of being mostly straight, flat farmland, with the suburban development being less dense than the south Cobb area any Chattanooga HSR will have to punch through. I could also propose Atlanta-Jacksonville first before I could propose Atlanta-Chattanooga. Given the intermediate stops on both, you might be able to convince the rural representatives to fund it. Numerically, they do have the advantage in our Legislature.

Now, I could definitely see an upgraded regional rail running Atlanta-Chattanooga. Upgraded meaning existing line with more track in a few places, but at a maximum speed of 79mph. That would be cheaper than any HSR on any route.
If anything is to come fist, it will likely be Atlanta -> DC HSR by way of Charlotte. Regional rail should certainly be established, and with MARTA's Lovejoy line hopefully getting going soon enough, we'll have a good start on reaching passenger service to Macon, and maybe further to Savannah.

The Atlanta -> Macon route is getting pretty clogged with freight traffic, and the Macon -> Savannah route is already at capacity. Both need to be expanded to handle the port expansion (truck only lanes aren't the best plan even if the state is considering it first). If we double-tracked the route all the way from Atlanta to Savannah, we'd have TONS of room for freight as well as standard passenger service.

If we put some effort into seriously untangling Howel Y and a few other interlockings within the city, then we'd be setting ourselves up well for the future.

Old 07-17-2016, 04:20 PM

7,357 posts, read 6,526,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
If anything is to come fist, it will likely be Atlanta -> DC HSR by way of Charlotte. Regional rail should certainly be established, and with MARTA's Lovejoy line hopefully getting going soon enough, we'll have a good start on reaching passenger service to Macon, and maybe further to Savannah.
In terms of what's easier, I don't think so. ATL to even CLT is long, complex, through denser, mountainous areas. ATL-SAV or ATL-JAX is through fields or highways (I-16 has a decent amount of space). In terms of what is more politically possible, it seems ATL-CLT is unfortunately. I'm afraid that the higher cost will turn people off to the idea entirely and won't even consider something like ATL-SAV because of it.
Quote:
The Atlanta -> Macon route is getting pretty clogged with freight traffic, and the Macon -> Savannah route is already at capacity. Both need to be expanded to handle the port expansion (truck only lanes aren't the best plan even if the state is considering it first). If we double-tracked the route all the way from Atlanta to Savannah, we'd have TONS of room for freight as well as standard passenger service.
If we're talking HSR, then neither route's capacity matters except around terminal areas where HSR may use existing tracks to access central stations.
Quote:
If we put some effort into seriously untangling Howel Y and a few other interlockings within the city, then we'd be setting ourselves up well for the future.
That needs to happen regardless of passenger, but if the state funds it, then maybe they can slip some clauses about passenger capacity into the funds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta