Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2008, 06:38 PM

63 posts, read 230,705 times

Advertisements

Howdy folks! I am a 23 y/o career firefighter from the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia. I live about 1.5 hours from Washington DC to give you a general idea of where I live.

For quite some time now, I have wanted to relocate for a plethora of reasons. I was born and raised in Jefferson County, WV. Although very beautiful, the area has changed for the worst. We constantly get the MD/VA/DC overflow of people. The price of living is outlandish. The property taxes are awful ($2500 this year!). The crime stats have skyrocketed. The overall mentality and attitudes and volatile mix of folks here makes continuing to live here unbearable. This area has bad meories for me for many reasons. I have spiraled into an alomost depressed state (job, people, attitudes, fakeness, etc).

The last time I had this vision, I brushed it off and decided to stick around the area. I bought a small house with about 8 acres in 2006 and thought I would at least want to live here until retirement. Unfortunately, the tables turned quite expiditiously. The last straw for me was when two druggies broke in my garage and stole my almost new 4 wheeler and wrapped it around a tree last June (while I was at work, go figure!)

So I can give you an idea of the type of person behind the screen name, I am currently almost halfway done a Bachelor's Degree in Fire Science and a full time firefighter near my home. I an avid outdoorsman! I love to hunt, hike, run, bike, scuba dive, and LOOOVE to fish and boat! ( I would fish 24/7 if I could). I was born and raised around the mountains and could not imagine living in an area with out the Blue Ridge Mountain backdrop. And, I am a warm weather freak, love the Spring and Summer months! I am what some would consider a big redneck!

My sister and her family lived in Nashville for a couple years and I was smitten with the area. When I went to vist her, I loved the state! It was so beautiful, so clean, the people were incredibly nice and respectful (although I wish there were more mountains around Nashville).

I am planning to visit the area in April and several more times throughout the Spring and Summer.

I am looking for a fresh start in a beautiful place with great people. Making lots of money, while useful at times, is not important to me. In my young life, I have come to the realization that happiness superceedes making all the money. The biggest paycheck in the world could not buy an ounce of happiness. It is my calling to be a firefighter and I want to stay in this career field. I would prefer to work in a moderate to larger city, but would like to live in the boonies.

So my questions for you kind ladies and gents would be the following:

1) If you were to do it all over again where in these areas would you live, and why?

2) Where can I live and not worry about being robbed blind while at work?

3) Do you all have an influx of trasnsplants in these areas, and if so, have they proved troublesome for you?

3) What are taxes like?

4) What is the best areas for an avid fisherman?

5) Hands down, what places should I most absolutely visit and research?

6) What can I do to make my determination?

7) Can anyone offer me any guidance on what to do in this matter?

*Apologies for the incredibly long post, but this is a huge decision that I can not make alone!

-Thank you so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 11:01 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Well, for the record, I'm originally from Charleston, West Virginia, so I have an idea of where you're coming from. I moved to Atlanta in 1984 so have been here a while.

Ideas:

Don't move to or near Atlanta. It's amazingly different compared to "back home", and if you hate what's happening to your area up there due to the overflow from DC, I'll just say, Atlanta is 2X worse. You would mentally shrivel up and die here. Now, you could move north of Atlanta to the North Georgia mountains to one of the smaller mountain towns, but here's the problem - in the 23 years I've lived here, Atlanta's metro population has grown from 2 to 5.1 million. Towns that were once the "boonies" are now considered suburbs of Atlanta. You might find a nice place in North Georgia now, and in 15-20 years it's just going to be another congested suburb of the city.

Alternatives:

I really like Asheville, North Carolina. About the same size as Charleston (WV), but not as depressed and more lively and has a nice looking downtown area. Has a good arts/restaurant scene, and a thriving tourism business. Tons of outdoor recreational things to do in that area, too. Close enough to places like Charlotte that if you do want bigger city stuff they're there, but not so close that there's any danger of it being swallowed up by it. This would be my 1st pick by far, if I could do it all over again.

Chattanooga, Tennessee is a "decent" alternative. Again, about the same size as Charleston (WV), but it has a more thriving tourist-based economy due to their aquarium/river area and the fact that they're 2 hours from Atlanta, Nashville, and Knoxville. Not as nice looking downtown as Asheville, and a slightly higher crime rate, but still not "bad". Again, you'll be close to larger cities if you want them, but you won't be IN them and can be in very rural areas in minutes.

Anyway, that's my picks.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:54 AM

79 posts, read 416,315 times
I grew up in Chattanooga, all of my family lives there. It is a truly beautiful city but it is not a good place for a single person. Also, you really need to have a job there before you move there -- as the job market is not very diverse.

But as far as outdoor opportunities, it's hard to beat.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:49 PM

Default atlantagreg30127

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Well, for the record, I'm originally from Charleston, West Virginia, so I have an idea of where you're coming from. I moved to Atlanta in 1984 so have been here a while.

Ideas:

Don't move to or near Atlanta. It's amazingly different compared to "back home", and if you hate what's happening to your area up there due to the overflow from DC, I'll just say, Atlanta is 2X worse. You would mentally shrivel up and die here. Now, you could move north of Atlanta to the North Georgia mountains to one of the smaller mountain towns, but here's the problem - in the 23 years I've lived here, Atlanta's metro population has grown from 2 to 5.1 million. Towns that were once the "boonies" are now considered suburbs of Atlanta. You might find a nice place in North Georgia now, and in 15-20 years it's just going to be another congested suburb of the city.

Alternatives:

I really like Asheville, North Carolina. About the same size as Charleston (WV), but not as depressed and more lively and has a nice looking downtown area. Has a good arts/restaurant scene, and a thriving tourism business. Tons of outdoor recreational things to do in that area, too. Close enough to places like Charlotte that if you do want bigger city stuff they're there, but not so close that there's any danger of it being swallowed up by it. This would be my 1st pick by far, if I could do it all over again.

Chattanooga, Tennessee is a "decent" alternative. Again, about the same size as Charleston (WV), but it has a more thriving tourist-based economy due to their aquarium/river area and the fact that they're 2 hours from Atlanta, Nashville, and Knoxville. Not as nice looking downtown as Asheville, and a slightly higher crime rate, but still not "bad". Again, you'll be close to larger cities if you want them, but you won't be IN them and can be in very rural areas in minutes.

Anyway, that's my picks.
Atlantagreg, a warm hello from a fellow West Virginian! Thank you so much for your time and your insight. Looks like you were smart and got out of the state!

Asheville does look beautiful! I kinda fell in love with it after finally seeing The Last of the Mohicans for the first time, haha. That is sad to hear about Northern Georgia. What you explained about the Atlanta overflow is EXACTLY what I want to avoid!

As far as Western NC, I have read over and over how expensive it is getting, and is being discovered by too many outsiders. So that being said, when I vist these areas, I will put the most emphasis on Eastern Tennessee, concentrating on areas north of Knoxville and Chattanooga!

Thanks again!

Old 02-19-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philagirl View Post
I grew up in Chattanooga, all of my family lives there. It is a truly beautiful city but it is not a good place for a single person. Also, you really need to have a job there before you move there -- as the job market is not very diverse.

But as far as outdoor opportunities, it's hard to beat.

No women to meet and no jobs?? Guess I will have to sit alone and drink beer and fish all day!

Thanks for your insight!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta