Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 02:35 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,694,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
But challenging it in court is kind of ridiculous.
Well, they are challenging it on the basis of whether or not it is constitutional.
Some times even a very long-standing law is eventually judged as not passing muster in that regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 02:46 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
But challenging it in court is kind of ridiculous.
If it's the law, how else would you challenge it?

Old 07-19-2016, 08:36 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
I guess the schools could possibly remain as part of Fulton County. Schools in other cities like Sandy Springs, East Point, and Alpharetta are still under FCS. I don't know the legality of it, but it might just make sense. Otherwise I guess the annexed areas would have to become part of ACS. Are there any other situations like this that anyone knows of...like are there any areas of Decatur that are part of DeKalb schools, for example?

Old 07-19-2016, 08:49 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,130,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I guess the schools could possibly remain as part of Fulton County. Schools in other cities like Sandy Springs, East Point, and Alpharetta are still under FCS. I don't know the legality of it, but it might just make sense. Otherwise I guess the annexed areas would have to become part of ACS. Are there any other situations like this that anyone knows of...like are there any areas of Decatur that are part of DeKalb schools, for example?
The city limits of Decatur are coterminous with the boundaries of the City Schools of Decatur. No part of the City of Decatur sends kids to DeKalb County Schools.

- skbl17

Old 07-20-2016, 06:56 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,854,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
The city limits of Decatur are coterminous with the boundaries of the City Schools of Decatur. No part of the City of Decatur sends kids to DeKalb County Schools.

- skbl17
Could be way Decatur does not want to annex any more residential and only going after commercial.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:35 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Could be way Decatur does not want to annex any more residential and only going after commercial.
True. Annexing residential simply doesn't make economic sense. The cost of supporting the additional students would outweigh the incremental rise in tax revenue.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:14 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,741,019 times
How do school system boundaries work in other states?

Old 07-20-2016, 01:14 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
School systems in the Twin Cities are relatively small (1-2 high schools usually plus feeder schools) and often don't follow city boundaries at all. I have no idea how those boundaries are drawn, however, but the districts are called "independent districts) statewide.

http://www.mngeo.state.mn.us/maps/SchoolDistricts/

The fact that MN has statewide Open Enrollment makes those boundaries somewhat less important, also.

Old 07-20-2016, 02:18 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,866,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
If it's the law, how else would you challenge it?
Duh. In the legislature.

Old 07-20-2016, 02:23 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,694,636 times
Default Should APS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post

As per other states that I've lived in or am somewhat familiar with, I've not in recent decades heard of any alteration of a school district boundary line to follow a change of city boundaries via an annexation.
I think that this is yet another anachronistic & outdated law that's on the Georgia books & a relic of the stone age for all practical purposes.
Georgia law is all too often a series of old laws that were put in place when the state was still a rural & agriculturally dominated economy. It's time to purge the books & rewrite much of our law & recognize that we are a larger state of 10 million residents & no longer living in 1916.
If actually challenged in court, I hope that the law is found to be unconstitutional & overturned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta