Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 05:33 PM

5,029 posts, read 5,696,841 times

Advertisements

First, wanted to start by saying that I've read more about your city in recent years, and it has definitely changed my perception, I have a much more favorable impression of the Atlanta area as a whole, and would strongly consider moving to metro ATL in a few years (in higher ed/student affairs) due to the wide range and quantity/quality of schools present, plus, it being a compromise with my warm weather loving fiance (originally from Ohio, now in FLA), and being able to get some of the things that I enjoyed about up there (history, museums, terrain, forest, seasons, etc.).

The Eroding Legacy of the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta «

Anyways, I consider myself someone who is a lover of history, but particularly so of "Olympic History". I know it sounds odd, but just the depth of preparations, the legacy pre/post, and being able to call your city an "Olympic City" (I only consider this for summer olympics since it's the larger/alpha city thing), I find that cool. That being said, what are your thoughts/how valid would you say this article is? I personally don't see many cities having a central park with that in the name, and to my knowledge I think that Atlanta History Center even has a separate wing about it, which is cool. However, it is kind of sad that Turner Field is being torn down, though now Atlanta probably has one of, if not the best looking collection of stadiums of any city in the country (as of 2017).

What are your thoughts on what will go in place as a legacy structure? Or to that thought, how much legacy is needed? I don't mean this as a knock, but while winning the Olympics was a big deal to London, I think London tends to think it is above making it as big of a deal, historically to them. Any other things that significantly changed in and around the city as a result of the games, feel, etc., is legacy still being added to by population growth and international population and such?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 06:34 PM

37,903 posts, read 42,060,944 times
This article was discussed before in this thread. Check it out: //www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...a-rembert.html

Old 10-26-2015, 06:36 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,282,864 times
Turner Field is not being torn down, it's likely being mostly kept and re-purposed into a football stadium for GA State.
http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/i...State_Plan.jpg

I loved all the Olympics mania in the 90's, and remembered being so proud that it was in town, though I was 13 at the time. It was special to me, and it was definitely a huge thing for the city. It was fun, and a big spectacle. It was interesting to see the city so crowded, and the MARTA trains overflowing packed with people, etc.

I was there the night of the bomb, or at least a couple hours before it went off. One lone nutcase, religious extremist, making the city and the region look bad. It was a shame. I think 2 people were killed and over 100 wounded. And then unfortunately it left a bad taste for the Olympic Committee, and they said that the games were not the greatest ever. One thing's for sure, we'll never get the Olympics back again, so we have to try to keep the memory/legacy alive while we can. It is cool that we got the 100th anniversary games. Personally, to me, it will always be a special year in time.

Best looking Olympics logo ever:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...s_logo.svg.png

Anyway, the Dome is being torn down soon, and good riddance when it is. That thing is ugly.

Atlanta has grown like crazy in the last 2 decades or so, especially in these recent post-recession years. And it's only going to continue to grow. It has an international flair and I think I could definitely recommend the move. It's an interesting place.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:25 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,410,991 times
Mmmm. It's not about any physical location, but more about the energy that the Games generated. Atlanta seized upon that energy and continues to thrive today as a result. That is our Olympic legacy.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:45 PM

4,844 posts, read 6,115,788 times
6:30 - 10:00 epic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp6J8neNKXE

Old 10-26-2015, 11:14 PM

Wow, ChiAtlDal, that is some impressive historical broadcast.. I see Underground was still the place to be then lol. That had to be as exciting as winning multiple sports championships... at the same time. Because that type of victory doesn't really go away.

That's cool to hear. Well it does seem like even in the time since the Olympics the dynamic of the city has transformed a lot.

Glad that they're going to repurpose it! That is excellent news. What would be especially nice is if they had a track around it also again. It could be a premier T&F event venue, with the whole clout that it hosted the olympics, and maybe even for those in the community who wanted to run on it on non game/meet days.

Will check more into that thread too, thanks for sharing the thoughts. Immediate family of us both are in FLA, and that's not easy to discount. But at the same time, it's only 6 hours, and I do like a lot about the area and what it has.

Was there any other reason (aside from the attacks), why the Olympic Committee didn't seem to have Atlanta as a favorite? It seems like right now, they're kinda in a "developing world" binge, with almost making it a bidding war between countries and cities that don't have the liberty and personal freedom to say "were not gonna take it".

I'd say, never say never lol. As has been said, money and desire talks, and at least with Atlanta, the Olympics knows what they'd be getting. Seems to me for the 2024 games like after Boston dropped out, the USOC would've listened to just about ANYONE who was willing to enter a bid.

Read the comments about the vendors.. but honestly it sounded just like sour grapes to me by someone on Olympic committee that wished it was in Athens.

Last edited by theurbanfiles; 10-26-2015 at 11:26 PM..

Old 10-26-2015, 11:33 PM

Sorry, one more question. Would there be any way to find the marathon route from that event? I would consider biking it, though since I'm guessing it started and ended inside the stadium, it would be impossible to replicate entirely.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:59 PM

4,844 posts, read 6,115,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
Sorry, one more question. Would there be any way to find the marathon route from that event? I would consider biking it, though since I'm guessing it started and ended inside the stadium, it would be impossible to replicate entirely.

I found this
Athletics at the 1996 Atlanta Summer Games: Men's Marathon | Olympics at Sports-Reference.com

Quote:
The Olympic course was designed to basically follow the outline of the course used for the annual Atlanta Marathon, but changed slightly to allow for a start and finish in the Olympic Stadium on the out-and-back course.
I don't know the route, I post if I find something, but I hope that help

Here's a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS61I6evLPE

Old 10-27-2015, 12:13 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,791,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Mmmm. It's not about any physical location, but more about the energy that the Games generated. Atlanta seized upon that energy and continues to thrive today as a result. That is our Olympic legacy.
Corny, but true!

Old 10-27-2015, 02:18 AM

23,494 posts, read 44,167,340 times
I really don't understand the assertion that Atlanta is unique in such a regard. Just returned last night from Munich; I never once heard a reference to their Olympic Games. Same when l visited Barcelona, London, Low Angeles and Montreal (although Barcelona's Olympic Village is still very much a thriving district). I think any city carrying that distinction sees it fade into the general fabric of its history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta