Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 07:29 PM

6,706 posts, read 6,411,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle488 View Post
I am relocating to South Hartford I absolutely love the North. I know the winter season is pretty harsh
One of the reasons we're moving back to Chicago is for the Winter weather!

I miss the snow and my kids are miserable here. They always complain how hot it is and every Winter they start asking, "Do you think we'll get any snow this year?" I always respond with an optimistic, maybe this will be the year!, but it hasn't snowed at all here in like 5 years and even when it does, it's just a few inches. Reflecting on my childhood during Winters, I remember the joy of the first big snow and hopes of a white Christmas, crazy snowball fights, building snowmen, building snow forts, playing football in heavy snow, sledding, ice skating, playing hockey, skeeching on the back of cars, etc., great memories! and hopefully I'm not too late to allow my kids some of those same memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 08:14 PM

186 posts, read 347,714 times
I have been living in Atlanta for 11 yrs since I was 15. I am 26 now with 3 college degrees and I feel like my potential will not be reached in the Atlanta area. As well my door was kicked in twice in a neighborhood I have lived in for 2 years in the span of one week, and my apartment complex nor the insurance company is covering the damage that was done to the apartment in either instances. I am using this move as a start over. I am moving to Dallas next week or the week after depending on how long it takes for me to train my replacement at work.

As well the salaries here in Atlanta are to low. Everyone wants to hire you at 40K. With three degrees and no one who helped me pay for college, student loan bills are coming through and 40K just will not cut it.

And the mentality of some people here is the worst.

But I do love this city so much, as a black male it made me feel empowered and let me know I can reach any goal.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:38 PM

347 posts, read 376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scared to Life View Post
I have been living in Atlanta for 11 yrs since I was 15. I am 26 now with 3 college degrees and I feel like my potential will not be reached in the Atlanta area. As well my door was kicked in twice in a neighborhood I have lived in for 2 years in the span of one week, and my apartment complex nor the insurance company is covering the damage that was done to the apartment in either instances. I am using this move as a start over. I am moving to Dallas next week or the week after depending on how long it takes for me to train my replacement at work.

As well the salaries here in Atlanta are to low. Everyone wants to hire you at 40K. With three degrees and no one who helped me pay for college, student loan bills are coming through and 40K just will not cut it.

And the mentality of some people here is the worst.

But I do love this city so much, as a black male it made me feel empowered and let me know I can reach any goal.
This. Even myself, working in information security, have noticed a weird suppression of wages. Talking to some HR people ( even with my current company ) it's because of the tier Atlanta ranks at for wages, and part of that statistic that factors in is that the average salary you need to own a home here is ~$40k. Which, if you live anywhere in the north Metro area, good luck.

I'm likely leaving to be in the town my company is HQ'd in ( Springfield, Missouri ) simply due to the traffic and cost of living of differences. Taking over an hour to go 15 miles just gets tiring. That, and in the interest of wanting to be a home owner, the fact that I could purchase a ~1500-2000sq/ft ranch home with a decent sized yard, 3 car garage, for $135k is more than appealing. I'd rather have a lifestyle of where I can have a daily driver, a sports car for the weekend, and a boat, where it takes me 20 minutes or less to get to work in traffic, than dense traffic and such with the argument of concerts, museums and vastly broad food option that I never take part of.

Some people have brought up the argument of " what about concerts, museums etc?". I rarely go to them as it stands, I've always been more of an outdoor person anyway.

Last edited by Stormhammer; 07-24-2016 at 09:49 PM..

Old 07-24-2016, 11:24 PM

276 posts, read 428,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle488 View Post
I am relocating to South Hartford I absolutely love the North. I know the winter season is pretty harsh and the cost of living is expensive but I look at the overall pic. The jobs up there pay you for you experience and most work with unions. The system is designed for anyone to succeed rather the sough in my opinion failure. What part of CT are you from.
I really enjoy CT. I hope you have a great time there. I was born in New Britain, CT and last lived in Hartford. I actually like the winters as long as I don't have to shovel With the winter, you can always dress in layers. Actually, Hartford is pretty affordable when compared to other areas up there. I still keep tabs on things as my parents are there and you can find property in areas relatively close to Hartford for decent rates. In fact, my parents have a 3 br, 1.5 bath that goes for less than $1,000. It is about 20 minutes from Hartford in commuting traffic - or at least it was when I lived there and had to commute to my insurance job downtown. The schools are pretty good and you are 1.5 hours from Boston and Manhattan - at least I was in New Britain. Best of luck in the Nutmeg State!

Old 07-24-2016, 11:33 PM
XFS

22 posts, read 37,460 times
I hate this type of threads.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:06 AM

1,850 posts, read 3,005,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDuby View Post
I left Atlanta for a job in the Philadelphia area back in 2013 and I've hated it ever since. Atlanta has it's problems but out of all the places I've ever lived it is one that I've really enjoyed. The climate, cost of living, housing, professionals and the women in my opinion are better than where I am now. I'm not a native of Atlanta but a lot of friends and most of my immediate family lives there. I would love to move back.

I'm glad to read your post. I hope you get to move back.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:46 PM

20 posts, read 30,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
I'll commence to list the locations in Atlanta that lack culture.
Castleberry Hill
Centennial Hill
Fairlie-Poplar
West End
Lakewood Heights
East Point
College Park
Historic Westside Village
Midtown
West Midtown
Buckhead Village
East Atlanta Village
Inman Park
Little 5 Points
Kirkwood
Grant Park
Oakhurst
Decatur
Stone Mountain Village
Marietta
Jonesboro
and I'm sure I missed more
I think you might be confusing 'culture' with small clusters of retail, restaurants and bars.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFS View Post
I hate this type of threads.
Then jog on, and find one that you prefer!

Old 07-28-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
Whenever you really think you have a good thing going on be it any topic from airports to zoos, there's no need to go on the attack. Your merits will speak for themselves.
Very true.

Quote:
Anyway, wasn't the OP's question basically why are you leaving and not why are staying? Did some of you expect a round of kumbaya for Atlanta from everyone who is planning to leave?
Exactly!

Quote:
It's just like if you have someone who agrees with everything you say, then you are being lied to.
Spot on.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Thing is it is looked down by some transplants to have pride in Atlanta yet the transplants move here.
My job here brings me into contact with hundreds of people every week. I have asked extensively why they moved to Atlanta. Most common answer: for a job. Second most common answer: chasing a relationship. A large number of them are planning to move on in a few years. Almost no-one I've met is here because they really, really, really wanted to live in Atlanta. They come largely out of need, often short term need.

Quote:
This thread would be shut down in other forums fast.
Why? Because a city forum cant sustain a thread that asks why people are leaving that city? I thought the purpose of these forums was to debate a city from every angle. If was considering moving to a city I'd sure as hell want to know what people don't like about it and why they might be leaving. What good is any forum if it only allows for discussion of a city's positives?

Quote:
Also imo certain cities just cant talk bad about another city if their city isnt in order.
Actually they can if they wish, especially if it's a top tier city with widely renowned features and attractions. BTW, no city is 'in order'. All cities have issues.

Quote:
The moral of the story is some transplants dont want natives defending Atlanta. Those same people will spend days talking about negative Atlanta issues
Aaaand, why is that? I've never lived anywhere where people seemed so ambivalent, or so downright glum about being here. Which suggests that maybe Atlanta is rather 'leavable' for many...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta