Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 08:20 AM

1,054 posts, read 914,584 times

Advertisements

That was in response to the post by LarryX, as quoted in the post directly before mine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 10:51 AM

114 posts, read 111,285 times
Who cares? You are identifying and grouping people based on the color of their skin. What does black people at Cumberland Mall have to do with anything? Who cares how "diverse" the mall is. Just go shop where you like and quit fretting over trivial matters.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:32 AM

31,993 posts, read 36,511,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fermie125 View Post
Who cares? You are identifying and grouping people based on the color of their skin. What does black people at Cumberland Mall have to do with anything? Who cares how "diverse" the mall is. Just go shop where you like and quit fretting over trivial matters.
I totally agree.

I can't help it, but this thread makes me think of the old Red House commercials.

Old 07-27-2016, 01:23 PM

190 posts, read 316,004 times
I think it has a lot to do with the types of stores they have. I certainly don't mean this as a prejudiced comment, but as a white male, there really isn't anything in that mall that I'm interested in (but I guess that could be said for most malls these days). I was literally there earlier today because I had to go to the Apple store, so I guess that's one store (I loathe going to any Apple store), and it seems like there are so many athletic apparel and shoe stores like Foot Locker, and then more trendy urban stores that just aren't my thing. I'll give the Macy's a try every now and then, but their mens department always seems so empty. Like someone else said, I do a lot of my shopping online these days, so maybe Cumberland has become more of a social hangout as well. I do want to vent a little though...I think most malls and stores these days are more geared towards women as a whole. You go to Perimeter or Lenox and 95% of the stores are women's clothing stores, BUT, that's where it comes back to what the demographics are for who is spending the money. So in this case, to the OP's point, it seems that the vendors see Cumberland as more of an Urban door (that's industry talk for black people, just in case you didn't know. )

Old 07-27-2016, 01:35 PM

126 posts, read 197,867 times
The times I have visited Cumberland Mall, I thought it was a melting pot of cultures and demographics. I do think that Cumberland overall caters to a demographic slightly lower than the demo that you see at Perimeter Mall.

In all, I think the mall holds its own. It is strange to me to see that the mall only has Sears (barely making it in general) and Macy's (which is a nice big clean one) and that's it. Does anyone have a reason as to why Costco was built in the "JCPenney parking lot" versus being tacked onto the mall itself?

I've also been told that Cumberland was a "damn good mall" back in the day but to the natives here, did the mall compete or "complete" the offerings that were at Perimeter?

Old 07-27-2016, 01:54 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,701,124 times
Imagine if Southlake, or Stonecrest Mall customers complained about the "White" stores in the mall? The mall caters to the residents of the area, and the residents around Cumberland aren't upper middle class whites who go to high class stores like Bloomingdales. Not everybody shops at the stores you think they should. Just because the stores you like aren't there doesn't make it a bad mall. As long as the stores are making a profit, it's a success.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:15 PM

847 posts, read 1,449,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvlscrkeva View Post
The times I have visited Cumberland Mall, I thought it was a melting pot of cultures and demographics. I do think that Cumberland overall caters to a demographic slightly lower than the demo that you see at Perimeter Mall.

In all, I think the mall holds its own. It is strange to me to see that the mall only has Sears (barely making it in general) and Macy's (which is a nice big clean one) and that's it. Does anyone have a reason as to why Costco was built in the "JCPenney parking lot" versus being tacked onto the mall itself?

I've also been told that Cumberland was a "damn good mall" back in the day but to the natives here, did the mall compete or "complete" the offerings that were at Perimeter?
If I recall correctly, there was a Rich's at Cumberland before they were bought out. I thought that it was odd that they tore down JCPenney, but that may have more to do with JCPenney itself than the mall. Unfortunately, I don't think that Penney's is getting the same type of traffic that they used to get when I was growing up. I've been through Penney's several times in the past few years, but I can count on one hand the number of items that I have actually bought from there recently. Placing Costco as a stand-alone in the parking lot actually works better traffic-wise than taking it onto the mall itself. I've seen malls elsewhere that had non-mall stores come in to replace anchor stores and it doesn't always look good or work well. One mall back home has a Walmart where an anchor once stood. Talk about goofy!

I never saw Cumberland as a bad or even subpar mall, but Perimeter was always a notch or two higher before the restaurants were added to Cumberland. I lived in Cobb back then and you had to go over to Perimeter for The Cheesecake Factory and Maggiano's. It was a short drive, but having those spots right down the street definitely made a difference. As far as demographics, both malls have pretty much the same types of people during the work day or even on some weeknights. The difference is moreso on the weekend, but as I said in another post the crowds are still about what-and-what these days.

Overall, I think that indoor mall shopping is steadily declining nationwide. We still go to malls, but nine times out of ten it is really just to walk around (killing both time and calories) before or after doing something else. For example, this past Saturday we walked around the Mall of Georgia to burn off some of what we just ate across the street at Olive Garden.

Old 07-27-2016, 03:18 PM

1,323 posts, read 1,298,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Imagine if Southlake, or Stonecrest Mall customers complained about the "White" stores in the mall? The mall caters to the residents of the area, and the residents around Cumberland aren't upper middle class whites who go to high class stores like Bloomingdales. Not everybody shops at the stores you think they should. Just because the stores you like aren't there doesn't make it a bad mall. As long as the stores are making a profit, it's a success.
Agree with you in large part, but your statement in bold is incorrect. Cumberland is the most convenient mall for those living in an area more-or-less west of Northside Drive, north of somewhere between West Wesley and West Paces Ferry, south of the middle of the city of Marietta and east of the Cobb County/Paulding County line. That's a huge swath that includes much of the very wealthiest part of Buckhead, the Paces neighborhood, all of Vinings and Smyrna, most of Mableton, the Marietta Square, and much of East and West Cobb. Cumberland Mall should be able to support much higher end retailers than it currently has, and I think retailers are starting to realize that, starting with Apple, who really does their homework and pretty much exclusively locates their stores in areas with high concentrations of disposable income. I suspect that the retailers that come into The Battery will be along the same lines: not the ridiculous stuff that's at Buckhead Atlanta, but similar to some of the higher end firms found at Perimeter Mall.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:15 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,691,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
??? I thought Vinnings, Smynnings, etc. are upper middle class?

Old 07-28-2016, 08:16 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,691,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big L View Post
If I recall correctly, there was a Rich's at Cumberland before they were bought out. I thought that it was odd that they tore down JCPenney, but that may have more to do with JCPenney itself than the mall. Unfortunately, I don't think that Penney's is getting the same type of traffic that they used to get when I was growing up. I've been through Penney's several times in the past few years, but I can count on one hand the number of items that I have actually bought from there recently. Placing Costco as a stand-alone in the parking lot actually works better traffic-wise than taking it onto the mall itself. I've seen malls elsewhere that had non-mall stores come in to replace anchor stores and it doesn't always look good or work well. One mall back home has a Walmart where an anchor once stood. Talk about goofy!

I never saw Cumberland as a bad or even subpar mall, but Perimeter was always a notch or two higher before the restaurants were added to Cumberland. I lived in Cobb back then and you had to go over to Perimeter for The Cheesecake Factory and Maggiano's. It was a short drive, but having those spots right down the street definitely made a difference. As far as demographics, both malls have pretty much the same types of people during the work day or even on some weeknights. The difference is moreso on the weekend, but as I said in another post the crowds are still about what-and-what these days.

Overall, I think that indoor mall shopping is steadily declining nationwide. We still go to malls, but nine times out of ten it is really just to walk around (killing both time and calories) before or after doing something else. For example, this past Saturday we walked around the Mall of Georgia to burn off some of what we just ate across the street at Olive Garden.

The most suburban statement ever made on CD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta