Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 12:06 PM

68 posts, read 74,565 times

Advertisements

I'm a regular at Cumberland Mall, and I've noticed that 80% to 90% of people who shop there are black, compared to Perimeter and Lenox, which has shoppers of all races. However, the nearby movie theater, restaurants, and apartments are pretty diverse. Before you call me out on being a racist or self hater, I'm black as well, and was just making an observation over my last few visits there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 12:13 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
What's the question?

Old 07-25-2016, 12:21 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Probably depends on where you go in the mall, but I know I don't go into the mall itself. Have little reason to ... I just hit the restaurants on the outside. I haven't shopped at a mall for years.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:21 PM

68 posts, read 74,565 times
Sorry. I was just wondering why is there a lack of diversity in this mall? It is a very nice and growing area.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:22 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,770,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_knight08 View Post
I'm a regular at Cumberland Mall, and I've noticed that 80% to 90% of people who shop there are black, compared to Perimeter and Lenox, which has shoppers of all races. However, the nearby movie theater, restaurants, and apartments are pretty diverse. Before you call me out on being a racist or self hater, I'm black as well, and was just making an observation over my last few visits there.
This was not always true and developed over the last 10+ years.

I am white and live in the area but my reasons for rarely shopping at Cumberland has to do with the change in the store mix - it became very young at one point and no longer offered any of the stores that I frequent. I still run in and out of the Macy's but that appears to be more diverse than the actual mall.

On the few occasions when I do run into the mall, there appear to be a lot of families and strollers.

I think it is an honest observation that the mall itself appears less diverse than the surrounding area.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:32 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
There is a general negative feeling about malls in the country these days, and you see it on this board a lot too. This feeling, I think, is led by wealthy, white, urban people.

I say that because you still see plenty of minorities in malls. You also still see plenty of white people in less urban areas, like Mall of Georgia. I think over time, the store mix starts to reflect this change, and that enforces it even more.

To draw a parallel, if you walked into Sugarloaf Mills, you would probably think that the area is mostly Hispanic, Asian, and black. It's true that the area is minority-majority, but more white people live near the mall than you would think walking in there. It's not quite as striking as Cumberland Mall, because Sugarloaf Mills has some businesses that white people seem to like and are unavailable elsewhere nearby (Bass Pro Shop, Medieval Times, Dave & Busters, Saks Off Fifth, and malls with decent movie theaters seem to always draw all types from the nearby area).

I bet if you go to the Cheesecake Factory, Magliano's, etc. at Cumberland Mall you'll see plenty of white people.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:43 PM

34 posts, read 58,647 times
I live near the Cumberland Mall, and very, very rarely ever go. I'll stop by the Coscto all the time. Last time I was there I felt like the stores where aimed for towards a younger, urban, hip-hop centered consumer. I think by and large Cumberland Mall isn't that popular.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:43 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
There is a general negative feeling about malls in the country these days, and you see it on this board a lot too. This feeling, I think, is led by wealthy, white, urban people.
I just don't do brick and mortar stores (for the most part) except for food and auto repairs. It isn't mall shopping per se that I avoid at all. It's physical stores. For me, eBay and Amazon make up the bulk of my shopping for "stuff". Many of the rest are things like thift stores and used bookstores.

I'm sure if I had kids or someone in my life who needed to shop more at the places you tend to find in malls, that my shopping habits would be different. Not at this time.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:49 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,992,349 times
I live not too far from Cumberland Mall and I go there sometimes to buy clothes for my kids at Sears (Lands End) and Gymboree. Sears seems to have a mix of Black, Hispanic, White, Asian. I see plenty of white people in Gymboree. Seems like the older shoppers and families (all races) kind of run into the stores they want to go to and run back out-- so you won't probably see us! But, yes, the kids that hang out there now are mostly black. Same with Lenox. Lenox has a huge diversity of customers but the kids hanging out to see and be seen are mostly black.

When I was a teenager in the 1980s it was mostly white teens hanging out at both Cumberland and Lenox. I don't know where the white kids hang out now. Starbucks? At their schools? On Instagram? You've got me!

Vinings Village (very nearby) has several mall-type stores so I go there for Ann Taylor Loft, Banana Republic etc. I don't think Cumberland has those stores. Seems like Cumberland on;y has very young/inexpensive stores like Claire's, Forever 21 etc. so not a big draw for seasoned professionals of any race.

Old 07-25-2016, 01:02 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,770,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
...Vinings Village (very nearby) has several mall-type stores so I go there for Ann Taylor Loft, Banana Republic etc. I don't think Cumberland has those stores. Seems like Cumberland on;y has very young/inexpensive stores like Claire's, Forever 21 etc. so not a big draw for seasoned professionals of any race.
The stores in Vinings Village used to be in Cumberland Mall including Mori luggage and they all moved out when the restaurant front was built.

There was an article not too long ago talking about the strange store mix at Cumberland - I will have to search for that one.

I think Battery Park will certainly bring changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta