Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 09:59 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,786,874 times

Advertisements

Well, the Panthers are growing to Disney World!

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/am...reaming-online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 02:28 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,786,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Well, the Panthers are growing to Disney World!

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/am...reaming-online
GSU is playing in the AutoNation Cure Bowl tomorrow at 2:30 —the only school from Atlanta that is bowl eligible (sorry Tech!).

Old 12-16-2017, 01:06 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
There is a place for GSU to be all it can be and then some, but to pine away for some elite status that would put it out of the reach of the masses doesn't bode well either. Can't see it in the same league as a Tech or Emory nor does it need to be there. Let it be good at what it does and do that excellently.... give the opportunity for the average Georgian to get a solid, affordable education.

Old 12-16-2017, 02:23 PM

1,005 posts, read 729,357 times
I second Saintmarks, but would tweak the "average" part only a little. It's one of the most diverse universities in the US, not only across the standard race and gender categories, but age and class. Can't throw any shade towards its affordability, either. I like that each university exist within good synergy of each other, and this has helped forestall the predominance of one as the economic behemoth in the city. I'm Alum with little financial interests in sports, but I don't see GSU overtaking anything anytime soon given the strong feeder routes to UGA. GSU was not and still is not a leader in my field, but it definitely made me a desirable candidate at top private and research-one public unis for graduate school.

Old 12-16-2017, 04:01 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,389,593 times
And GSU won their first "bowl" game. Minor bowl but I'm sure they'll take it. GSU football has come a long way in a short amount of time.

Old 12-16-2017, 04:16 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
There is a place for GSU to be all it can be and then some, but to pine away for some elite status that would put it out of the reach of the masses doesn't bode well either. Can't see it in the same league as a Tech or Emory nor does it need to be there. Let it be good at what it does and do that excellently.... give the opportunity for the average Georgian to get a solid, affordable education.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seussie View Post
I second Saintmarks, but would tweak the "average" part only a little. It's one of the most diverse universities in the US, not only across the standard race and gender categories, but age and class. Can't throw any shade towards its affordability, either. I like that each university exist within good synergy of each other, and this has helped forestall the predominance of one as the economic behemoth in the city. I'm Alum with little financial interests in sports, but I don't see GSU overtaking anything anytime soon given the strong feeder routes to UGA. GSU was not and still is not a leader in my field, but it definitely made me a desirable candidate at top private and research-one public unis for graduate school.

Agreed. Georgia State University should strive for Arizona State University, University of Central Florida, North Carolina State, and/or Temple University level+status.

Old 12-18-2017, 11:30 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
Quote:
I hear you.... was thinking "average" in terms of income and academic prowess. Out here in Texas, the main campus of the University of Texas in Austin has striven for that elite status so much that good solid kids have trouble getting in. My daughter is a good student but wasn't top 5% of her class. Transferred in after carrying a 4.0 at DePaul her freshman year. I think UGA has done a similar move upwards. In my day and age would have had no trouble getting into UGA if I had wanted it. Can't say that I would make the cut today.

When I hear "elite" bantered around like is done in this post, I think of good solid kids that are suddenly left out in the cold. Let's don't be THAT elite....

Old 12-19-2017, 08:45 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,367,724 times
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I hear you.... was thinking "average" in terms of income and academic prowess. Out here in Texas, the main campus of the University of Texas in Austin has striven for that elite status so much that good solid kids have trouble getting in. My daughter is a good student but wasn't top 5% of her class. Transferred in after carrying a 4.0 at DePaul her freshman year. I think UGA has done a similar move upwards. In my day and age would have had no trouble getting into UGA if I had wanted it. Can't say that I would make the cut today.

When I hear "elite" bantered around like is done in this post, I think of good solid kids that are suddenly left out in the cold. Let's don't be THAT elite....

These posts are very selfless. I like that you all honored the students' lives that GSU is impacting and that the aim shouldn't be for it to be a school where a lot of bright students can't get in/too expensive for them to attend.

I also like that the focus was kept on GSU's solid education and not it's sports teams.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:22 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,122,823 times
Big-time university indeed:

https://twitter.com/GeorgiaStateFB/s...806169601?s=17

Nice job openly cementing yourselves as UGA's little bro.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:09 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,250,342 times
I was an accounting student there, and witnessed a lot of recruiting from the big 4 accounting firms, as wells as banks (SunTrust), Coca Cola, etc. I was able to intern for the State of Georgia, and then walk to class. It has a very good location.

If you're a good student here, you can do well for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta