Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 02:46 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,237,327 times

Advertisements

I know we have discussed on here the idea of capping the connector, possibly adding trees, or at least something to improve the experience of traveling the most important corridor in the state. The connector through downtown is already impressive. Beautiful sweeping views of downtown and midtown with plenty of dips and banked turns at (depending on the time of day) high speeds. Well, the folks at the Midtown Alliance and Central Atlanta Progress / Atlanta Downtown Improvement District hired consultants to come up with a plan to seriously spruce up the connector. And it seems like it is actually gaining traction.

GDOT contributes cash to help make over bridges along downtown connector | Atlanta News & Opinion Blog | Fresh Loaf | Creative Loafing Atlanta

GDOT has contributed $1.7 million to the makeover of two bridges over the connector, Peachtree St at the AMTRAK station:

and Peachtree St south of North Ave:

Apparently, if the two are successful, GDOT will consider contributing additional funds to the concepts laid out in the vision put together by the two groups. And those concepts are exciting and have a ton of potential to give Atlanta a gigantic face lift.

I personally think this is an important investment in the city. The connector is most people's introduction to the city. These improvement will make a lasting impression on any visitor and help define their experience here. These plans include ideas to add impressive lighting features and art fixtures. Greening up the roadway with hanging flora, Bamboo, and native plants. A significant new park at the Capitol and new park at the border of Midtown and Downtown between Courtland St and Peachtree.

This is part of setting the bar high for Atlanta. I seriously hope it works out and I really beleive Atlanta deserves this. With the continual improvement and exciting additions to the city such as the Beltline, Ponce City Market, and the Downtown Streetcar, Atlanta has a chance to solidly define its future.

Check out the full report at the top of the page here.
http://www.atlantadowntown.com/initi...nnector_Vision
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 03:11 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,769,325 times
I also just want to quickly add....

We have no central lake, no central river, no central mountain, or vast amount of open space. For most people, visitors and residents, this is our front door for cars and pedestrians.

While this is not going to solve all of our cities woes, I think this is a good first step to creating a better sense of identity and excitement to our city. If we want people to think we are nice fun city with lots to do, then we need to look like a nice and fun city... not just functional. These projects I think have alot of band for the buck and are largely supported by the local businesses via self-tax funding of CIDs.

(and yes the GDOT is spending money, but so is the CID. It is a combination of functional and aesthetic improvements, and their respective funding, hand in hand coming together in one place)

Old 11-24-2012, 03:24 PM

16,699 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Full book here:

I-75/85 Connector Transformation

Enjoy!

Old 11-24-2012, 06:27 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
GDOT has contributed $1.7 million to the makeover of two bridges over the connector, Peachtree St at the AMTRAK station:
Where does GDOT get the money for contributions? I thought they were a state agency funded by taxpayers.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:57 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,237,327 times
I remember reading that the DOT was getting the money for this from the advertisements on those welcome center and 511 road signs.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:19 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,357,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Where does GDOT get the money for contributions? I thought they were a state agency funded by taxpayers.
I don't know how to ask without sounding rude, but what's your point?

Old 11-24-2012, 09:56 PM

472 posts, read 809,479 times
It would be nice to be like Seattle, the ocean to the left of the city and Mt. rainier to the right. The beautiful campus of University of Washington adding a touch of cherry blossom to the city...

I miss Washington.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:50 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
I don't know how to ask without sounding rude, but what's your point?
You don't sound rude at all.

My point is that tax-funded state agencies like the DOT shouldn't be in the business of making contributions.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:10 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,769,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
You don't sound rude at all.

My point is that tax-funded state agencies like the DOT shouldn't be in the business of making contributions.
Its a bridge over a GDOT maintained roadway. It's purpose is so the local street doesn't directly intersect the state maintained route. This makes multiple levels of government responsible for the bridge/bridge maintenance.

I think the phrase contributing was use to show they are only giving about 1/3 the total cost. (not sure the exact number of these 2 bridges, but overall there are 5 bridges that need $10 million and they are going to contribute $3.5 million overall)

Old 11-25-2012, 11:24 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
Gosh, do all this already.

Dallas just capped a good portion of the Woodall Rodgers Freeway connecting the art district downtown with uptown with a beautiful new park.

Klyde Warren Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta