Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 03:50 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,693,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Do we really want to unleash that automobile tsunami on the residential neighborhoods? What happens to walkability and bikeability?

They actively get better because there are better walking and biking connections between residences, and commercial properties, and the walking/biking infrastructure. Instead of making everyone take the long-way around, or scrambling over poorly-made dirt paths, people will be able to just stroll over and around the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 03:52 PM

989 posts, read 1,742,818 times
Quote:
It's not.

As I said, I mentioned this simply by way of comparison to the massive traffic (37,000 vehicles) on Ponce in the vicinity of Midtown Place. That gives you some sense of scale as to the very large number of cars we're talking about.
They don't own a street, I live on West Peachtree and I can assure you that more the 37k cars pass through here daily. Does buying a SFH entitle you to less traffic?

I think they should just redevelop the entire thing, it's an awful development.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:58 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,029 times
So, about connecting Midtown Place...

I think they can make this connection work and not be so bad for the residents by offering well designed streets w/ calming measures that include landscaping. The streets would be a major relief. The most interesting part of the article was at end, the owner of the development said:

Quote:
If you think what was there before, which was a baseball field and at one time, the China outlet mall, it's pretty dynamic. I know it pays a lot of taxes. It’s a very successful project. It meets the goals of that community... I would like to urbanize it more."
This has to be one of the most ripe places in all of Atlanta for redevelopment. The current design is garbage, redeveloping to take advantage of its location only makes sense.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:16 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times
Both these sites need to redeveloped with a interconnecting street grid in the Beltline Master Plan.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:26 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
If they do start changing things I hope the taxpayer is at least given an opportunity to weigh in.

Are the people who want to make these changes going to be living in the neighborhood 5, 10 and 20 years from now?

If you just start running over people willy-nilly you run the risk of killing the goose that laid the Golden egg.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:03 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
Default Midtown Place..

Quote:
If they do start changing things I hope the taxpayer is at least given an opportunity to weigh in.

Are the people who want to make these changes going to be living in the neighborhood 5, 10 and 20 years from now?

If you just start running over people willy-nilly you run the risk of killing the goose that laid the Golden egg.
I understand your point of view entirely. There's a fine line.
But, I'm also moved by the sentiment that was expressed here earlier about the need to overcome the poor planning & design that originally allowed the 2 existing retail components to have been built as they were.
Perhaps I should give the earlier planners a break given that the popularity of intown & the press to densify has grown tremendously in the last 2 decades after they went in.
Someone also mentioned the breaking up of the "superblock" that exists here too. Think in terms of how far it is around the huge chunk of land.
I've ragged before about some superblocks in Midtown that need to be broken up where the street grid should have been built out better over a hundred years ago so I'm tempted to just fall into the redevelop or redesign it camp as regards the prospects for the 2 adjacent large retail properties so that the neighborhood can better mesh together.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:29 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
I understand your point of view entirely. There's a fine line.
But, I'm also moved by the sentiment that was expressed here earlier about the need to overcome the poor planning & design that originally allowed the 2 existing retail components to have been built as they were.
Perhaps I should give the earlier planners a break given that the popularity of intown & the press to densify has grown tremendously in the last 2 decades after they went in.
Someone also mentioned the breaking up of the "superblock" that exists here too. Think in terms of how far it is around the huge chunk of land.
I've ragged before about some superblocks in Midtown that need to be broken up where the street grid should have been built out better over a hundred years ago so I'm tempted to just fall into the redevelop or redesign it camp as regards the prospects for the 2 adjacent large retail properties so that the neighborhood can better mesh together.
I hear what you are saying.

But I'd also point out that an important principle of planning is "Don't fix it if it ain't broke." These two shopping centers are extremely popular and their parking lots are full almost all the time. They are also well integrated into the thriving, longstanding communities around them.

So what exactly is the compelling need to change things? (I'm asking that rhetorically, not to you in particular, atler).

Maybe the larger question is: What is "poor planning" and who makes those decisions? Has the community involved risen up and demanded change? Or does the criticism come from people who live elsewhere? Are our planning overlords locals with a vested interest in the community?

You know, when the interstates were being laid out, Dwight D. Eisenhower famously noted, "Farming looks easy when your plow is a pencil and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." But what of the real world? Is it really worth tearing up these two popular centers and opening the torrent of Ponce traffic into the residential streets?

Old 08-05-2016, 06:44 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
If residents and planners are concerned about vehicle traffic, maybe they could build ped/bike connections and encourage alterative transportation to the shopping centers.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:11 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,029 times
Quote:

Maybe the larger question is: What is "poor planning" ?
I would say two stores right next to each other that take over 20 minutes to officially walk between them is a perfect example of poor planning. Especially in an urban environment. I get that things change and from what I have heard elsewhere, I think the neighborhood isn't exactly evil for stepping in in the past. It sounds like they were not just concerned about the street connection but the way it was developed. Going

BTW, with a significant redevelopment of the parcel, I think they could avoid the neighborhood all together and sharply cut Glen Iris over to the current parking lot. Pedestrian and bike connections should be available, but this could avoid tons of cars moving through the hood.

Old 05-27-2021, 07:37 PM

477 posts, read 593,978 times
https://whatnowatlanta.com/rendering...g-renovations/

Had to find an old thread for this, but here’s the plan for Midtown Promenade’s Beltline-facing renovations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: