Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 06:49 AM

33 posts, read 26,286 times

Advertisements

My family is in the process of looking for a new house, we want a neighborhood with more kids as our current neighborhood is pretty much void of kids, lots of older people. Anyone know how to find the racial makeup of a neighborhood?

before calling me a racist, please listen. We found a perfect house in a nice upper $200K neighborhood. All homes/lawns look in great shape and it has an HOA. This morning I drove by hoping to catch kids at the bus stop to see how many live in the area. To my surprise, I saw 7 kids at one bus stop and not one white kid was in the mix. I'm not racist, have no problem living in a neighborhood with other races, but it concerned me there were no white kids. I'd hate for my children to be the token white kid in the neighborhood so to speak.

Anyone know how to find the racial makeup of specific subdivisions? This one happens to be Wyndcliff at Town Center in Marietta.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 07:34 AM

222 posts, read 231,518 times
You aren't going to be able to find that information. The closest you can come is by elementary school district demographic statistics. Elementary school zones are fairly small so you can get a decent level of detail.

High school zones are helpful as well but they are of course wider.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:58 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,933,278 times
City Data itself has pretty good maps. Smallest you can get is census blocks which is pretty small.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:08 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

Based on the 2010 census and metro Atlanta demographics change frequently...but should be at least relatively accurate.

Good to look at maps because you can't judge based on things like kids waiting at school bus stops. If the school district is terrible, probably the white families in the neighborhood send their kids to private school. Or they drive the kids to school instead of having them take the bus....whatever the case, your method is quite imperfect and you should definitely use something more scientific.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:36 AM

33 posts, read 26,286 times
thanks all, the Census block on City Data seemed to have some good info. While it covers more than just this neighborhood, it paints a pretty good picture. Now the real problem is convincing the wife to look else where, she has her heart set on this haha

Old 08-08-2016, 08:45 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,479,741 times
what you want is totally normal, IMO.

You already have some good ideas and I'd also recommend touring the elementary school. No way to get the subdivision makeup that I'm aware of other than some detective work like you're already doing...

Tell your wife to think more about your kids....

Last edited by flamadiddle; 08-08-2016 at 08:55 AM..

Old 08-08-2016, 09:10 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge77 View Post
My family is in the process of looking for a new house, we want a neighborhood with more kids as our current neighborhood is pretty much void of kids, lots of older people. Anyone know how to find the racial makeup of a neighborhood?

before calling me a racist, please listen. We found a perfect house in a nice upper $200K neighborhood. All homes/lawns look in great shape and it has an HOA. This morning I drove by hoping to catch kids at the bus stop to see how many live in the area. To my surprise, I saw 7 kids at one bus stop and not one white kid was in the mix. I'm not racist, have no problem living in a neighborhood with other races, but it concerned me there were no white kids. I'd hate for my children to be the token white kid in the neighborhood so to speak.
It may be that the white parents in the neighborhood were private schooling their kids. That seems to be a common thing in this metro, and it would result in a mix in the neighborhood but a different mix waiting for the public school bus.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:32 AM

16,700 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge77 View Post

Anyone know how to find the racial makeup of specific subdivisions? This one happens to be Wyndcliff at Town Center in Marietta.

thanks

REMOVED - don't call other posters names.

Wyndcliff at Town Center is located in the following cluster:

Bells Ferry Elementary
Daniell Middle
Sprayberry High

Bells Ferry is a well-mixed elementary school with a sizeable/large white population as well. Daniell Middle and Sprayberry High have a plurality of whites (meaning that whites are the largest group) with the white population around 50% or a little less.

Wyndcliff is an area of single family homes that is still mostly white. It is stable and quiet.

I recommend you find the several websites that show the demographics of the school zones. Also--I recommend getting in contact with the PTA at Bells Ferry Elementary and Daniell Middle...both of which are very active (which is a very good sign). Reach out to the Wyndcliff HOA as well.

I personally think the Sprayberry Cluster is a well-kept Metro Atlanta secret.

I hope this helps some. Good Luck!

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 08-09-2016 at 10:14 AM..

Old 08-08-2016, 09:45 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,479,741 times
Also important to research and look at trends. Was an area that's now ~50% white previously 90% white a few years ago? Will that trend continue?

aries4118, I don't believe he's racist at all. Other ethnic groups come here all the time asking where they should move to so they can live among their own. No one ever calls them racist. Why is it that when a white person does the same, they're racist? He doesn't harbor any ill will toward other races and simply wants to live among people that share his beliefs and culture. There's nothing wrong with that...

Last edited by flamadiddle; 08-08-2016 at 09:58 AM..

Old 08-08-2016, 09:54 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Get out your car, walk around and talk to the residents. Be friendly and tell them you are interested in their community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta