Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 04:28 PM

31,996 posts, read 36,572,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
I think a Community College with a focused program of teaching skills would be of more use to students.
It worked for me and was very affordable. Most of your learning you are going to get on the job anyway.

It's a great option when you are working full time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 06:25 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It worked for me and was very affordable. Most of your learning you are going to get on the job anyway.

It's a great option when you are working full time.
The weird thing about College is that everyone is put on the Phd track, which few finish. Very little of what you learn in College do you use in your job. A lot of people get jobs not even related to their degree.

Old 08-12-2016, 06:37 PM

16,645 posts, read 29,343,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
What makes it so great? College is overrated. I think a Community College with a focused program of teaching skills would be of more use to students.
It's a great school.

My point is that Georgia Tech is better with higher caliber, more intelligent students, but that doesn't take away from UGA's status as a great school with excellent students.

both-and, not either-or

Old 08-12-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
My point is that Georgia Tech is better with higher caliber, more intelligent students, but that doesn't take away from UGA's status as a great school with excellent students.
Tech's freshmen class may have a higher average SAT but I don't think we can say that means they have higher caliber, more intelligent students. SAT scores just measure one dimension of a person's ability and merit.

Slightly off topic, but another interesting comparison is the honors programs at UGA and GT.

They aren't that far apart:

UGA Honors

Average First-Year High School GPA: 4.16
Average First-Year SAT: 1487

GT Honors

Average First-Year High School GPA: 4.37
Average First-Year SAT 1472

Old 08-12-2016, 07:28 PM

643 posts, read 567,979 times
GT doesn't need a 'Honors College' because the average student is rocking a 1450 SAT. UGA needs one because there is enough dead weight on campus that they need to differentiate.

And lets look at what really matters:

Best Colleges in Georgia | PayScale

Average GT graduate starts with a $62,500 salary.
Average UGA graduate starts at $46,000.

Average Mid-Career pay:
GT - $112,000 (Above Duke, Dartmouth and Georgetown)
UGA - $83,600 (Below academic powerhouses Oklahoma State and Arizona State) <-- LOL. Flagship?

UGA is a good school for creating the the average 9-5 cubicle dweller for the workforce. That isn't a bad thing. Judge Smails agrees. But, c'mon son, UGA isn't even close to the same league as GT.

Last edited by MikeHonchoATL; 08-12-2016 at 07:37 PM..

Old 08-12-2016, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Tech's freshmen class may have a higher average SAT but I don't think we can say that means they have higher caliber, more intelligent students. SAT scores just measure one dimension of a person's ability and merit.

Slightly off topic, but another interesting comparison is the honors programs at UGA and GT.

They aren't that far apart:

UGA Honors

Average First-Year High School GPA: 4.16
Average First-Year SAT: 1487

GT Honors

Average First-Year High School GPA: 4.37
Average First-Year SAT 1472

No, arjay.

Tech students are more intelligent and higher caliber. And everyone at Tech is "Honors" already.

And UGA is a great school with excellent students.

Old 08-12-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHonchoATL View Post
GT doesn't need a 'Honors College' because the average student is rocking a 1450 SAT. UGA needs one because there is enough dead weight on campus that they need to differentiate.

Average Mid-Career pay:
UGA - $83,600 (Below academic powerhouses Oklahoma State and Arizona State) <-- LOL. Flagship?

UGA is a good school for creating the the average 9-5 cubicle dweller for the workforce. That isn't a bad thing. Judge Smails agrees. But, c'mon son, UGA isn't even close to the same league as GT.

Yes, this! Said perfectly. I didn't see your post before I posted above...

Old 08-12-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
No, arjay.

Tech students are more intelligent and higher caliber.
Well, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one, aries.

We've had younguns at both of these excellent institutions and there's no way I'd tell one of them that she is more intelligent and of a higher caliber than the other. Nor would I tell the other one that he is less intelligent and of a of lower caliber. I'm as proud as can be of both of them and do not regard them that way at all.

Human beings are very complex, multifaceted creatures and I would never judge them on where, or even whether, they went to college.

Old 08-12-2016, 10:01 PM

Quote:
... I'm as proud as can be of both of them and do not regard them that way at all...

As you should be.

Quote:

Human beings are very complex, multifaceted creatures and I would never judge them on where, or even whether, they went to college.
Very true. I totally agree.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:31 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,363,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHonchoATL View Post

Average Mid-Career pay:

I'm not even mid career yet and already above that salary, so yeah Tech worked out pretty good for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta