Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 02:13 AM

513 posts, read 1,632,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyc2016 View Post
Thanks kajo13! I am glad that you have found a solution that works for you and your children! I hope that your transition goes well!

You are correct in that I'm probably a bit more conservative than you. I have looked into Sudbury, and given the limited options, I might do a tour, but likely that is a bit too free-form for what I am looking for. The SAE school looks like a nice option, but it would be too far from the East side to drive on a daily basis. I haven't experienced much of Atlanta traffic, but what I do know leads me to believe that driving across town twice a day is a bad idea!
Yeah, definitely don't try to stray far from the East side of town if work is in this area. Traffic really can be brutal at times if the commute goes across town. I don't have too much to offer that hasn't been said, but a big welcome to Atlanta! Hope your move is easy. I grew up in Carmel. Traditional schools to the max, but a great experience as a kid. We have our children in The Museum School and are very pleased with it, but it's probably more "sit down" than you are looking for and it's not easy to get into. I have a neighbor whose child is in Waldorf and apparently they recommend kids go media free. It's NOT a bad idea, but I find it interesting knowing their 1st grader never watches TV or plays video games. My kids could probably win a Minecraft contest (oops!).

Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 10:27 AM

10 posts, read 11,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantamoi View Post
Yeah, definitely don't try to stray far from the East side of town if work is in this area. Traffic really can be brutal at times if the commute goes across town. I don't have too much to offer that hasn't been said, but a big welcome to Atlanta! Hope your move is easy. I grew up in Carmel. Traditional schools to the max, but a great experience as a kid. We have our children in The Museum School and are very pleased with it, but it's probably more "sit down" than you are looking for and it's not easy to get into. I have a neighbor whose child is in Waldorf and apparently they recommend kids go media free. It's NOT a bad idea, but I find it interesting knowing their 1st grader never watches TV or plays video games. My kids could probably win a Minecraft contest (oops!).

Good luck to you.
Atlantamoi- The Museum School looks interesting and it is on my list to try to visit when I take a school-visit trip to GA. I have read differing stats- do you know how many apply and how many get in? And if you are outside of zone 1, is there any chance of getting in? Any other schools like The Museum School around? Thanks for the additional information!

Oh and I'm not into media free- seems unrealistic and not preparing kids for the future/work where computers really are a part of every-day, almost every-hour life.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:08 PM

2,307 posts, read 2,995,264 times
Amyc2016, I've read the thread and I think you would be a great fit for Cliff Valley School. I sought out a Reggio Emilia preschool for my child as well. Cliff Valley isn't overtly Reggio, but the approach to learning is very similar and in line with Reggio. It is located near Decatur in Druid Hills. Go visit and I'm thinking you will fall in love with the place.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
Amyc2016, I've read the thread and I think you would be a great fit for Cliff Valley School. I sought out a Reggio Emilia preschool for my child as well. Cliff Valley isn't overtly Reggio, but the approach to learning is very similar and in line with Reggio. It is located near Decatur in Druid Hills. Go visit and I'm thinking you will fall in love with the place.
Cliff Valley looks good and I might go visit it (especially after your glowing recommendation!), but the price- ouch! Going from an awesome public school with everything except aftercare paid for to close to $40k for my two kids wasn't my goal. I know you get what you pay for, but I'm still hoping to find at least some public school options!

Old 08-18-2016, 09:01 AM

2,307 posts, read 2,995,264 times
Quote:
Cliff Valley looks good and I might go visit it (especially after your glowing recommendation!), but the price- ouch! Going from an awesome public school with everything except aftercare paid for to close to $40k for my two kids wasn't my goal. I know you get what you pay for, but I'm still hoping to find at least some public school options!
Oh! I assumed from your original post that your children's current elementary was private--it would be unusual to find a school like that (Reggio) here that is public. You are right to think about the Museum School and Kindezi. But the lottery is brutal for those. Westside Charter would fit the bill, but it is too far from your work place.

If you are a practicing Christian, Intown Community School is a very creative school, and it costs less--$8K-$10K per year for tuition. The teachers there do a fantastic job of integrating the subjects, doing hands-on learning. It is very comparable to Cliff Valley and is also very "crunchy"--crunchy Christians are hard to find, so if you fit this demographic, check it out!

Old 08-21-2016, 04:46 AM

513 posts, read 1,632,382 times
Quote:
Atlantamoi- The Museum School looks interesting and it is on my list to try to visit when I take a school-visit trip to GA. I have read differing stats- do you know how many apply and how many get in? And if you are outside of zone 1, is there any chance of getting in? Any other schools like The Museum School around? Thanks for the additional information!

Oh and I'm not into media free- seems unrealistic and not preparing kids for the future/work where computers really are a part of every-day, almost every-hour life.
Sorry for responding so many days later. I am not sure of the exact odds for Museum School entrance, but I know they get worse each year. We are in zone 1 and had a 50% chance a few years ago. Got in. That automatically allowed our other, younger child to get in later (which decreases the odds even more for future years for people trying to get in). I'm fairly certain the odds of getting in on the K level are way below 50% now. If this school was a high priority I'd rent at first and hope for the best, but that's not something many would want to try.

We have neighbors in the International Charter Community School and they love it. But it does not go beyond 5th grade. They also have a lottery.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:32 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantamoi View Post
Sorry for responding so many days later. I am not sure of the exact odds for Museum School entrance, but I know they get worse each year. We are in zone 1 and had a 50% chance a few years ago. Got in. That automatically allowed our other, younger child to get in later (which decreases the odds even more for future years for people trying to get in). I'm fairly certain the odds of getting in on the K level are way below 50% now. If this school was a high priority I'd rent at first and hope for the best, but that's not something many would want to try.

We have neighbors in the International Charter Community School and they love it. But it does not go beyond 5th grade. They also have a lottery.
Has the Friends school come up in this thread?

The problem with this strategy is that Avondale Elementary School is likely not an acceptable solution. So, if you rent and don't get in, you are left with no option. I have volunteered at ICS and I think what makes it special isn't the way they instruct, which is fairly traditional. I think Museum School is really hard to get into, especially after K. It is worth a call to ask though.

I think you need to start by visiting City of Decatur schools if the housing options are affordable for your family. Make sure you see homes that are actually within the city limits

What you have in your current school will be hard to replicate here. However, I just reread your first post and I will say that elementary schools around here, at least, are fairly multi-faceted and interactive. Of course, they use textbooks, too, but they are doing hands on learning, project based learning, small groups, etc in most classrooms. You will of course encounter a teacher or three, along your child's journey, that might not be so great. But that happens in most schools.

I also want to ask is this a move that you have to make? If it is for economic reasons, be sure and figure in the potential costs of private schools if you are convinced that you will do public k-12 in Indiana. Just a thought.

Last edited by lastminutemom; 08-21-2016 at 08:45 AM..

Old 08-22-2016, 07:11 AM

Thanks all! My partner is moving to Atlanta for a job and I will be working remotely for my current job. So yes, we will be moving. The idea of private schools is fine, but the costs associated are pretty steep. I am still open to all types of schools, but my preference would be to stay public.

I think we have ruled out living in Decatur, as the housing prices are higher compared to out of the loop and we'd prefer a larger lot/more acres. So I'm now focusing in on public schools on the east side, outside of the loop. I have a good understanding of the private schools and the ones I am going to look at, so now I just need to figure out which public schools to call and visit. I'm going to go back to one of the original lists posted on here of the "good" public schools and work my way through that. Perhaps there is enough diversity in education within the "traditional" public schools for me to make one work...at least I hope so! Any additional thoughts on public schools in the areas of Conyers/Lithonia/Stone Mountain/Tucker/Lilburn/Norcross?

This thread has been incredibly helpful and I appreciate the time you have all taken to help me out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta