Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 04:42 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,961,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Funny how the same thread question is in the Charlotte thread.
Well, he or she did disclose that already.

And why do people keep repeating the same roads? Lol

BorntoRoll's list is pretty much dead on (as usual).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 06:27 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
In the metro, Ashford-Dunwoody between I-285 and Perimeter Center W https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9197...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Old 08-15-2016, 07:09 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,494,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
OP, you ask questions like my father - dole out a bit at a time. You'd think it was an investigation where he's trying to hold on to the true nature of his purpose.

I find it to be a lot less time-intensive with more fruitful and fulfilling results if he just spits out what he wanted to know in the first place.

I am not all the way suggesting that curiosity alone is what is driving you to ask your widest lanes question. It does sound odd though so if you are really trying to find out something else then just ask it.
I like roads and infrastructure. Like I said, I'm weird and when I'm driving aimlessly in my exploration I like being in urban centers. I like wide roads and highways, that's it. Mostly for pictures.

Sorry if I offended anyone with my question.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:20 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,355,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
I like roads and infrastructure. Like I said, I'm weird and when I'm driving aimlessly in my exploration I like being in urban centers. I like wide roads and highways, that's it. Mostly for pictures.

I don't think anyone was offended, but I had the same thoughts as ElleKaye. It did sound like you were looking for some specific information for a report or something, but were not letting the details out.

Sort of like how my four year old asks for a snack: "Hey dad. I want something. Something that's in the room over there. The one with with the green walls. In the smaller room behind the door. On the shelf. The shelf is white. You can see it if you open the door." "*sigh* Buddy...do you want a snack?" "I just want something." "A snack?" "Yes."

That's all. I found it to be an interesting thread...something that as a map nerd I haven't looked at before.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:45 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,494,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
I don't think anyone was offended, but I had the same thoughts as ElleKaye. It did sound like you were looking for some specific information for a report or something, but were not letting the details out.

Sort of like how my four year old asks for a snack: "Hey dad. I want something. Something that's in the room over there. The one with with the green walls. In the smaller room behind the door. On the shelf. The shelf is white. You can see it if you open the door." "*sigh* Buddy...do you want a snack?" "I just want something." "A snack?" "Yes."

That's all. I found it to be an interesting thread...something that as a map nerd I haven't looked at before.
Interesting, now I'm curious as to why it came across that way lol. I thought I was pretty straightforward, straight asked what are the widest roads. Is it because it's just sort of a random question? I was asking because I lived in several rural and suburban areas, but now I'm in a larger city and enjoy being "reminded" that I'm in the city. When driving past dt Raleigh or Durham on the highways I find myself looking frequently at the skylines, however underwhelming they may be compared to Atlanta.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:16 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
There are a few triple left turns in Cobb County.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:26 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post

Sam, have our kids been hanging out together???

Old 08-15-2016, 11:55 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,156 times
Quote:

Don't ever apologize. Your interests are just as valid as everyone else's. You have a right to participate just like everyone else. We all have our quirks when it comes to cities and what makes them. Every forum will have it's share of hateful, rude people. Just wade through and continue on. Some of us will help you as best we can.

As for the roads, there are a few short stretches where there are 8 or 10 lanes at intersections or interchanges but that seems to be limit of them in Charlotte and Atlanta. When I'm driving in Charlotte, I didn't notice because of the really loooooooooooong double turn lanes and such. I seem to recall a big intersection with double turn lanes on both sides and three through lanes in the middle, which seems giant when you pass through. Sometimes the roads feel much wider to the number of them in succession.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:25 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
I would be very surprised if the much smaller Raleigh has some wider roads than both Atlanta or Charlotte.
I wouldn't be. Roads in Atlanta proper don't really follow a uniform size pattern and tend to lean more narrow. The widest are probably North Ave, Ponce, Metropolitan, Northside, West Peachtree, and Peachtree Road (the part through Buckhead). After that most roads tend to be two lane, skinny two lane (was probably a one lane road at one point, but a second lane was crammed in) and single lane.

Old 08-15-2016, 11:56 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
In the metro, Ashford-Dunwoody between I-285 and Perimeter Center W https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9197...!3m1!1e3?hl=en
That's a good stretch of roadway...for those who like wide roadways?

Though to me, when I am riding along that particular stretch of roadway (Ashford Dunwoody Road north of I-285 through the Perimeter Mall area up to Perimeter Center West), it oddly sometimes does not seem to feel as wide as it actually is because of the abundant vegetation (the trees planted in the median and along the sides of the roadway) and because of the gridlock that I have often encountered on that stretch of roadway over the years during peak hours.

Even though Ashford Dunwoody is actually a very wide surface roadway (about 8-10 lanes north of I-285 and through the mall area), it often still seems like it is a very constrained roadway for whatever reason (maybe because of the extremely heavy traffic along that stretch of roadway along with the abundant vegetation?).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta