Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 01:47 PM

10 posts, read 14,211 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the feedback. Please keep it coming.

I realize I will most likely have to drive to the North Spring MARTA station and ride in from there. The midtown station is quite close to the job I am looking at.

We have been told that the best locations are in the "hourglass" so north and south. That appears to also be the sentiment here as well. Are there no good options east or west? If so, please provide some specifics on where to look.

Is anyone a regular rider of MARTA from North Springs to midtown? Would love to hear some feedback on what that experience is like. The schedule looks like it is only a 20 minute train ride. Is it comfortable? Safe? Can I crack open a laptop and work (yes I am in IT)?

As for the comment about looking in Alphretta for jobs, I am not actively looking to relocate or for another job. The opportunity that I am being approached about is extremely compelling hence the research. I have an amazing house / job where I am now so i wouldn't look for other options. Honestly, it is my current situation that is making the decision so tough.

Thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 01:54 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,320,855 times
The west is very dangerous and very undesirable. The east is some of the most expensive real estate in Atlanta (druid hills, decarur, Brookhaven) but probably outside your budget for what you want.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:08 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelejaxon View Post
Is anyone a regular rider of MARTA from North Springs to midtown? Would love to hear some feedback on what that experience is like. The schedule looks like it is only a 20 minute train ride. Is it comfortable? Safe? Can I crack open a laptop and work (yes I am in IT)?
I take MARTA regularly, and it is safe. I have been on my laptop before and it is fine, but there are not tables and the train is moving around so I find it is not comfortable enough to be overly productive with a laptop but perfectly comfortable without. I am usually able to turn out emails on my smartphone or tablet. They have cell coverage / wifi basically everywhere in the system.

Of course like anywhere you should always be aware of your surroundings. If you have a pricy laptop sitting next to you unattended it might be tempting for someone to grab it and sprint off.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:08 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback. Please keep it coming.

I realize I will most likely have to drive to the North Spring MARTA station and ride in from there. The midtown station is quite close to the job I am looking at.

We have been told that the best locations are in the "hourglass" so north and south. That appears to also be the sentiment here as well. Are there no good options east or west? If so, please provide some specifics on where to look.

As for the comment about looking in Alphretta for jobs, I am not actively looking to relocate or for another job. The opportunity that I am being approached about is extremely compelling hence the research. I have an amazing house / job where I am now so i wouldn't look for other options. Honestly, it is my current situation that is making the decision so tough.

Thanks again
MARTA:
Safe- yes. MARTA is one of the safest transit systems in North America.
Travel time- 20-30 minutes.
Comfortable- yes if you can find a seat. MARTA has some of the cleanest and largest railcars of any North American subway system.
Working via labtop- via an aircard when not in a tunnel, but MARTA is implementing wifi in buses, trains, and stations.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:20 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,481,316 times
Quote:

I am not actively looking to relocate or for another job. The opportunity that I am being approached about is extremely compelling hence the research. I have an amazing house / job where I am now so i wouldn't look for other options. Honestly, it is my current situation that is making the decision so tough.

Thanks again
Plan to drive all the way in... by the time you get to Marta, park, get up to the platform, wait for the next train, you could be pulling up at work. Not worth the hassle if you plan to live up North with acreage. If you live very close to the station, then I could see it.

Man that's a tough one and I'm not a good person to ask since I don't like Atlanta, but that job would have to be reallllly compelling to get me to leave the situation you describe.

Maybe you've already done this, but I'd urge to sit down and consider that you've just been offered that job. Now, start going through all the things you'll need to do to make a cross country move. It can be overwhelming when you start going through all the tasks you'll need to accomplish. Especially with kids and pets. I know because I'm right in the middle of that very process! (moving back to the Chicago area)

Last edited by flamadiddle; 08-15-2016 at 02:39 PM..

Old 08-15-2016, 02:30 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
The west is very dangerous and very undesirable. The east is some of the most expensive real estate in Atlanta (druid hills, decarur, Brookhaven) but probably outside your budget for what you want.
You are giving out a lot of misinformation. Please stop. This is not fair to the OP.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:51 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,320,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
You are giving out a lot of misinformation. Please stop. This is not fair to the OP.
There is nothing inaccurate about this. The police zones on the south and west side of Atlanta contain nearly all of the violent crime in Atlanta. The west and southwest are particularly dangerous.

Old 08-15-2016, 03:02 PM

10 posts, read 14,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Plan to drive all the way in... by the time you get to Marta, park, get up to the platform, wait for the next train, you could be pulling up at work. Not worth the hassle if you plan to live up North with acreage. If you live very close to the station, then I could see it.

Man that's a tough one and I'm not a good person to ask since I don't like Atlanta, but that job would have to be reallllly compelling to get me to leave the situation you describe.

Maybe you've already done this, but I'd urge to sit down and consider that you've just been offered that job. Now, start going through all the things you'll need to do to make a cross country move. It can be overwhelming when you start going through all the tasks you'll need to accomplish. Especially with kids and pets. I know because I'm right in the middle of that very process! (moving back to the Chicago area)
Wow - Not going to lie, I am surprised to hear this. I have never done train but I didn't think it would be slower. Traffic looks positively depressing so I figured Marta was the best option.

The opportunity is extremely attractive in a number of ways. I wouldn't even consider uprooting the kids if it wasn't.

We have done this once before so we know the drill on relocation costs / hassles and it is one of the biggest considerations for me right now.

Thanks for the feedback.

Old 08-15-2016, 03:05 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times
Quote:
Wow - Not going to lie, I am surprised to hear this. I have never done train but I didn't think it would be slower. Traffic looks positively depressing so I figured Marta was the best option.

The opportunity is extremely attractive in a number of ways. I wouldn't even consider uprooting the kids if it wasn't.

We have done this once before so we know the drill on relocation costs / hassles and it is one of the biggest considerations for me right now.

Thanks for the feedback.
I don't think flamadiddle's portrayal of MARTA being slower during rush hour is accurate. Maybe if there is no traffic.

I'd recommend you test it yourself. There is no way you are going to be 20-30 mins from North Springs to Midtown in Rush Hour traffic.

Old 08-15-2016, 03:51 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,481,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I don't think flamadiddle's portrayal of MARTA being slower during rush hour is accurate. Maybe if there is no traffic.

I'd recommend you test it yourself. There is no way you are going to be 20-30 mins from North Springs to Midtown in Rush Hour traffic.
It's not that it's slower than traffic, it's that he wants acreage and a safe area so where is he going to live? Given his budget and need for acreage, he'll need to realistically live in Alpharetta/Milton or Canton and how long will it take him to drive from Alpharetta/Milton/Canton to North Springs Marta? By the time he get's to North Springs Marta, parks the car, makes his way to the platform, waits for the next train, rides that train into midtown, did he save any time by not just continuing down 400?

Either way, that will be a hellish commute.

Steelejaxon, not sure how important that acreage is to you, but if you were willing to give up the acreage and live near North Springs Marta, I'd say go for it. Otherwise, I'd be looking into an ultralight or small helicopter. We really got screwed over by all those promises of Jetson like flying cars by 2020!

Another thought, can you telecommute with this gig? A terrible commute isn't so terrible if you don't have to do it every day...

Last edited by flamadiddle; 08-15-2016 at 04:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta