Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2017, 10:05 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,868,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I still haven't been to the new location -- and probably won't go.

But it's pretty interesting how the Masquerade went straight to 1 and 2 star reviews on Yelp when it moved to Underground. You have to go look manually, for some reason if you follow a direct link to Masquerade it only takes you to a new page where there is one review. Most are on the old page, which you can't seem to link to. Just type Masquerade into the search area and you'll see. Then sort by date and you can see where the reviews started to get negative.
Ha, sounds like the original Masquerade wasn't for you either. You may have forgot how "edgy" the Old Fourth Ward neighborhood was just a few years ago before the Beltline and Ponce City Market was a thing. But that environment is exactly where the Masquerade was born and thrived. There is an article out there somewhere talking about how the Masquerade dropped their plans for Underground being only temporary stop over onto their West Midtown location due to the popularity of the Underground relocation not being worth the fight with NIMBYS. They are now in talks with WRS in it becoming their permanent home.

The main threat to them staying at Underground long term is likely that area going up market too fast. But hopefully the arts community in that area stays around despite all the development starting in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 10:34 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,047,632 times
Quote:
Ha, sounds like the original Masquerade wasn't for you either. You may have forgot how "edgy" the Old Fourth Ward neighborhood was just a few years ago before the Beltline and Ponce City Market was a thing.
You're out of your mind, I've been going to the Masquerade since 1996.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:11 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,868,101 times
Quote:
You're out of your mind, I've been going to the Masquerade since 1996.
And what is your concern about the new Masquerade that is not true about the original? Most of the regulars I know (who prefer the edgier / less white-washed) feel much more comfortable around downtown than what O4W has become.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:12 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,560,025 times
I've worked a few club nights at the new location...

The garage on MLK Dr makes parking easy and convenient. However, pricing has been inconsistent, to say the least. Sometimes, its $3. Sometimes, its $5, if there's an attendant there to greet you when you pull in. Last time I went about two weeks ago, it was suddenly $10 [which is how much I paid to park at PCM the last couple of times I had gone to the old North Ave location].

I've mostly worked Hell. The sound system is fine. Drinks are cheap, and the barstaff are reasonably quick. There's a traffic bottleneck that tends to form on the path back to the bathrooms between the end of the bar and the side of the room where they'll put merch tables.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:20 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,849,415 times
Quote:
I still haven't been to the new location -- and probably won't go.

But it's pretty interesting how the Masquerade went straight to 1 and 2 star reviews on Yelp when it moved to Underground. You have to go look manually, for some reason if you follow a direct link to Masquerade it only takes you to a new page where there is one review. Most are on the old page, which you can't seem to link to. Just type Masquerade into the search area and you'll see. Then sort by date and you can see where the reviews started to get negative.
You are basing this off a Yelp review?

Old 05-09-2017, 07:29 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,286,784 times
I'm going there Thursday to see The Damned. And you should, too.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:39 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,308,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
I've worked a few club nights at the new location...

The garage on MLK Dr makes parking easy and convenient. However, pricing has been inconsistent, to say the least. Sometimes, its $3. Sometimes, its $5, if there's an attendant there to greet you when you pull in. Last time I went about two weeks ago, it was suddenly $10 [which is how much I paid to park at PCM the last couple of times I had gone to the old North Ave location].

I've mostly worked Hell. The sound system is fine. Drinks are cheap, and the barstaff are reasonably quick. There's a traffic bottleneck that tends to form on the path back to the bathrooms between the end of the bar and the side of the room where they'll put merch tables.
Yeah, I notice the parking wasn't consistent either. It seems to be cheaper outside.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:53 PM

297 posts, read 270,978 times
I agree with others, the Masquerade was awesome back in the 90's. I saw some great shows there. It just really lost it's mojo at some point. From what I can tell millennials are not really too into local music which is was a huge source of the Masquerade's cool back in the day.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:16 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,308,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltop180 View Post
I agree with others, the Masquerade was awesome back in the 90's. I saw some great shows there. It just really lost it's mojo at some point. From what I can tell millennials are not really too into local music which is was a huge source of the Masquerade's cool back in the day.
You may just be old bro. Just saying....

Old 05-10-2017, 06:47 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,286,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammaster View Post
You may just be old bro. Just saying....
Nah, he has a point. Look at Masquerade concert listings from the early '90s, then look at them from ten years later. The difference in quality is stark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta