Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 10:16 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,874,004 times

Advertisements

There's a better answer out there. I don't think we should make the perfect the enemy of the good, but I think this needs more study vis-à-vis the traffic impact on having ramps off of 75/85 going directly onto streets that have to be crossed to reach a new park. Unless it's part of a broader effort to give the connector a road diet, it seems like it would be a dodgy situation.

Given that there's such interest in getting both this and the stitch done, and the impact the freeways are having on the beltline, transit, and other projects like the capitol green and GSU expansion, I wonder if a broader effort might be the answer, a mega-project to cut and cover the downtown connector and I-20 inside the beltline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 10:46 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post

Given that there's such interest in getting both this and the stitch done, and the impact the freeways are having on the beltline, transit, and other projects like the capitol green and GSU expansion, I wonder if a broader effort might be the answer, a mega-project to cut and cover the downtown connector and I-20 inside the beltline.

Yes!

This is exactly. It is what I have always imagined and envisioned for years.

Old 11-23-2021, 06:08 AM

561 posts, read 781,142 times
Federal funds to boost downtown's highway-capping 'Stitch' proposal

Quote:
Like the Atlanta BeltLine’s Southside Trail, a grandiose proposal to build a park over the downtown Connector is getting an infusion of federal cash in hopes it can help knit intown neighborhoods back together.

U.S. Department of Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg told the AJC today that $900,000 in grant funding is being channeled to downtown’s “Stitch,” which was first proposed to fanfare five years ago but hasn’t progressed much beyond engineering studies.

The Stitch concept calls for a 14-acre greenspace covering a winding section of the downtown Connector, between the Civic Center MARTA station and just east of Piedmont Avenue.

The federal funding will come from $1-billion program Rebuilding American Infrastructure with Sustainability and Equity, or RAISE. Buttigieg told the newspaper the grant will pay for Stitch planning studies while helping to further the Biden Administration's infrastructure agenda.

The BeltLine has been allocated substantially more—$16.4 million in RAISE funds—to assist in building about two miles of trail on the city’s southside, between Pittsburgh and Grant Park.

The Stitch would stretch for about three-quarters of a mile and help reconnect parts of Midtown and downtown divided by construction of the I-75/I-85 conjoined expressway.

In April, U.S. Rep. Nikema Williams called for $1.16 million in federal funding to help construct the park, describing it as a sound use of taxpayer dollars that would “improve mobility and access, create jobs, and boost economic and community development, and revitalize the downtown region of Atlanta.” U.S. Sens. Jon Ossoff and Raphael Warnock have also publicly backed the project.

Buttigieg called the Stitch a good use of old right-of-way that plans for America’s future priorities.

Old 11-23-2021, 11:49 AM

11,800 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Didn't know the plan also covered I-20. Thought it was only the Downtown Connector.

Old 11-24-2021, 09:09 AM

561 posts, read 338,123 times
Infrastructure week indeed! Georgia's congressional delegation is really coming through for the state and Atlanta.

Old 11-24-2021, 11:22 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Didn't know the plan also covered I-20. Thought it was only the Downtown Connector.
It was for only the Connector, this is the first I've heard anything about I-20 at all.

Old 11-24-2021, 12:36 PM

1,005 posts, read 729,188 times
That's because I-20 is not part of the Stitch plan. Biden's infrastructure plan (https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-...bill/3684/text) includes a pilot program to reconnect neighborhoods split by racist highway development, which potentially includes I-20 and other interstates across the nation. Two different things, even if the Stitch is receiving federal funds as is the Beltline.

Old 11-24-2021, 01:47 PM

561 posts, read 781,142 times
The I-20 capping idea was floated here in the past. I'd also like to see it happen, but I am skeptical if any actual funding will happen for it.

Old 11-25-2021, 09:47 AM

11,800 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seussie View Post
That's because I-20 is not part of the Stitch plan. Biden's infrastructure plan (https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-...bill/3684/text) includes a pilot program to reconnect neighborhoods split by racist highway development, which potentially includes I-20 and other interstates across the nation. Two different things, even if the Stitch is receiving federal funds as is the Beltline.
Interesting. Good to know!

Old 11-26-2021, 08:53 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,874,004 times
I know this is completely contrary to what I wrote earlier, but I have started wondering, after seeing a lot of projects gurn out to change the city in negative ways that I didn't forsee, that maybe I should be more skeptical.

This decade has a whole lot of parallels to the 1920s and 30s- not just the pandemic. Downtown Atlanta did a "stitch" project back then, too. The railroad used to cut straight through downtown, between Alabama and Wall street. Rail, pedestrian, and new car traffic got to be so bad that over time, all the streets crossing the tracks north-south (Spring, Forsyth, Broad, Peachtree, Central & Courtland) were raised 1-2 stories, creating a series of bridges over the tracks connecting south and north downtown, essentially creating a smaller scale version of the area they want to "stitch" today.

Back then, they also decided to cap nearly the whole thing and put a park above. But since then, that area has been changed significantly. That part of town lost a lot of its vibrancy, and eventually mamy of the historic hotels and the two train stations along that track were torn down. I think, if they are going go do this $900 million study, they need to put some of that money towards a study of *that* project and how it affected downtown.

Last edited by bryantm3; 11-26-2021 at 09:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta