Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2018, 02:51 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I don't think there's enough righteous indignation out there to get any traction on this. Pick your battles, I always say.

Now if you're talking about buildings that need to be destroyed, I happen to have a laundry list.

That hideous green parking deck on the Kimball House site.
The parking decks that obscure the formal entrance to the Biltmore on Crescent.
Kell Hall at GSU (Yes, a former parking deck).
That booger of a parking deck that shadows UA and the old Depot on Courtland.

Yes, to ALL of these!

I'll add that hideous deck at 3rd and Spring that looks like it's dripping in mildew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 02:12 PM

180 posts, read 158,832 times
Ugh, just renovate the building.... build Margaritaville over and around it and have the building be incorporated in the new design, make it the gift shop on the way out or something. Place one of those historical landmark things there that explains what the building was and keep it moving.. Problem solved.... the building stays, and Margaritaville gets built. Win/win!!

Old 12-28-2018, 03:38 PM

16,680 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All_4_augusta View Post
Ugh, just renovate the building.... build Margaritaville over and around it and have the building be incorporated in the new design, make it the gift shop on the way out or something. Place one of those historical landmark things there that explains what the building was and keep it moving.. Problem solved.... the building stays, and Margaritaville gets built. Win/win!!
Yes.

Old 12-29-2018, 08:05 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All_4_augusta View Post
this sounds like the best solution. it seems like they would want to incorporate the studio and see it as an asset to their business. hell, it would get me to check it out and i don't care anything about margaritaville.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:24 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
this sounds like the best solution. it seems like they would want to incorporate the studio and see it as an asset to their business. hell, it would get me to check it out and i don't care anything about margaritaville.
What studio? Any remnant of it is long gone.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
the building itself i meant. they do historical recreations of things all the time, why not the recording studio where country music got started? i would imagine they could make something neat out of it.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:08 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,355,378 times
Quote:
the building itself i meant. they do historical recreations of things all the time, why not the recording studio where country music got started? i would imagine they could make something neat out of it.
It wasn't even really a studio. It was a building where they set up some portable recording equipment to record a few songs.

“The Nashville of its Day”:
Recalling the Origins of Recorded Country Music in 1920s Atlanta

Quote:
The record companies saw radio as a serious commercial threat and responded by seeking out new audiences for their wares and new performers who might appeal to those audiences. In particular, some in the business felt that African Americans and southern whites represented two potentially lucrative markets, and so engineers set out, portable recorders in hand, to test the waters. Atlanta quickly became a principal destination.

Peer approved the idea, and Brockman rented space on Nassau Street and invited Carson and a number of acts to participate. No one in the makeshift studio that day could have anticipated the cultural phenomenon they were launching.
From the sounds of it, this was a space used for a day to record a few artists. Since the building itself holds no intrinsic value for what happened there, and likely nothing original even exists inside, maybe the better idea would be to incorporate a recreation of it inside the new development, rather than trying to work around the building.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:46 PM

the most interesting thing about cities is their layers. it is nice to see older structures incorporated into newer developments, it just makes things more interesting. with the amount of parking lots and unused space we have in this city, i don't understand why we have to keep tearing down what little we have. it makes no logical sense. we just get the stars in our eyes about being a "world class city" and mow everything down for any carpetbagger who comes into town with a big flashy idea.

when the celebs first started showing up it was kind of neat. now it's suffocating, the city's being taken over by all of these rich and famous people who are not from here and don't care anything about our history, the environment, or the people that already live here. so many on this forum are cheering them on, and i cannot understand why.

Old 12-31-2018, 06:43 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
the most interesting thing about cities is their layers. it is nice to see older structures incorporated into newer developments, it just makes things more interesting. with the amount of parking lots and unused space we have in this city, i don't understand why we have to keep tearing down what little we have. it makes no logical sense. we just get the stars in our eyes about being a "world class city" and mow everything down for any carpetbagger who comes into town with a big flashy idea.

when the celebs first started showing up it was kind of neat. now it's suffocating, the city's being taken over by all of these rich and famous people who are not from here and don't care anything about our history, the environment, or the people that already live here. so many on this forum are cheering them on, and i cannot understand why.
This hotel/resort will be consuming a surface parking lot as well. I agree it would be better to incorporate the historic building row facade into the hotel. Maybe DCP, Time Keane can work with the project to preserve the facades.

Old 12-31-2018, 06:45 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
You don't have any way of knowing that. A studio doesn't have to be the type of thing you see in Pink Floyd documentaries. In the days when this building was used for recordings, "recording studios" were any space you could find that could fit a musician and a guy with a microphone and tape recorder. It's entirely possible the room where these songs were recorded is still intact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta