Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 04:19 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
State law. By intending to be a permanent resident, he or she needs to get a GA license but if he or she is still a dependent in an out of state household, then maybe he or she has a little time. As far as the car, I guess as long as it's owned by another person and the out of state insurance will continue to cover it, then he or she may get away with it. They shouldn't lie about the fact that it's almost exclusively being driven down here though (but don't need to volunteer info either). Eventually, he or she will be dropped once the insurance figures out what's going on. I can base that on past experience with both myself and my other half, coming from two different states.

The OP already said she got a GA drivers license. That she was supposed to do because she decided to become a permanent resident and not just a typical out of state student. I am sure had her reasons which are really none of our business.

For the life of me, I can't see why what property she owns or anything has to do with her father's car being registered in his home state. There's a system in place for this already and it is the owner of the vehicle registers where they live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 04:24 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
For the life of me, I can't see why what property she owns or anything has to do with her father's car being registered in his home state. There's a system in place for this already and it is the owner of the vehicle registers where they live.
You can't permanently insure a car for driving out of state from the owner of the car, from experience. At some point, the insurer will drop her and she'll have to transfer title and insure it herself.

But since she got her GA license already (I missed that) then she's probably all set for a while.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:20 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
The intention is that cars rolling on Georgia roads for more than a month or three are to be registered in Georgia.

nuf sed
Last I heard, it was not illegal to drive out of state so I don't know you have knickers in a twist over a car that is not owned by you, me, or her.
Now you're being disingenuous, ignoring critical words in the comments to which you're replying - a sure-fire sign in my book that you understand what you read but simply refuse to acknowledge its legitimacy because it refutes what you want to believe. As I said before, believe what you want.

As I already stated: There are states where regulations identical to these are enforced.

Quote:
As far as the car, since the car's owner is not a state resident, the car really should be sold (for $1 even) to someone who becomes a permanent resident here. Otherwise, it could even be construed as tax evasion. Unfortunately, the sales tax assessed on the vehicle will be based on fair market value, not based on a $1 sale.
And that's why so many folks work so hard to rationalize the violation they want to engage in. The change in ad valorem tax is also why Georgia may be prompted to start enforcing the regulations as other states already do.

Quote:
State law. By intending to be a permanent resident...
Defined as a non-resident who is resident in the state more than 30 days or a visitor resident in the state for more than 90 days.

Quote:
But since she got her GA license already (I missed that) then she's probably all set for a while.
Precisely. It may take a while for the state to catch up with her, or (as I understand how things are enforced here now) the state may never catch up with her.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Now you're being disingenuous, ignoring critical words in the comments to which you're replying - a sure-fire sign in my book that you understand what you read but simply refuse to acknowledge its legitimacy because it refutes what you want to believe. As I said before, believe what you want.

As I already stated: There are states where regulations identical to these are enforced.

And that's why so many folks work so hard to rationalize the violation they want to engage in. The change in ad valorem tax is also why Georgia may be prompted to start enforcing the regulations as other states already do.

Defined as a non-resident who is resident in the state more than 30 days or a visitor resident in the state for more than 90 days.

Precisely. It may take a while for the state to catch up with her, or (as I understand how things are enforced here now) the state may never catch up with her.

Don't try to tack your own sentiment onto someone else's like you were saying the same thing. He was able to move forward given new information and not latch onto his original assertion like grim death. She's not getting in trouble because she has not done anything wrong, not because the State has not caught up with her.

I feel like I am talking with Barney Fife.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:37 AM

444 posts, read 324,785 times
Quote:
I am not shifting responsibility to anyone because there is nothing to be responsible for.

If she owned the car then it would be a different story, but as it stands, that's not the story. You are carrying on like just because someone drives a car that it makes it theirs. I could let my niece drive wheels off my car in Chicago but that doesn't mean I have to change the state registration to Illinois because it is my car.

I have a second car with Alabama plates; it's registered to either my mom or dad. I have gotten pulled over for a speeding ticket in it with my Georgia's drivers license. After the officer saw it wasn't registered to me and who and where it was, there was nothing to talk about with the plates.

It is not illegal to drive a car in someone else's name. Maybe he has his reasons for keeping it in his name, but he doesn't have to justify his decision. Nothing illegal is occurring so there's no reason to write a ticket.
Don't get trolled by the troll. They started in you, now have to see if they can "rile you up."

And you are absolutely right. The only way you can get a ticket *for that* is if you moved down there, STAYED down there for the longer than 30 or 90 days, and did not GET INSURANCE a la re-registered whole car, new plates. It could get muddied if it came down to the "its not my car," by they can mail the owner the ticket in the mail and they like would, IF NOTICED. In a small enough town, it could absolutely happen.

More often than not, its a nosey neighbor that calls the cops and they come out and record they saw Tag OH 1253XUTJJA on such amd such date... maybe check back in the area at set intervals and if a certain amount of time gor by, maybe cite the owner of the car for the failing to re-register. Ive never heard of such happening in busy areas OR MAJOR METRO AREAS but small town? Oh yes, it can.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:39 AM

444 posts, read 324,785 times
Quote:
Don't try to tack your own sentiment onto someone else's like you were saying the same thing. He was able to move forward given new information and not latch onto his original assertion like grim death. She's not getting in trouble because she has not done anything wrong, not because the State has not caught up with her.

You probably are. Dont get trolls by the troll.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:59 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
State law. By intending to be a permanent resident, he or she needs to get a GA license but if he or she is still a dependent in an out of state household, then maybe he or she has a little time. As far as the car, I guess as long as it's owned by another person and the out of state insurance will continue to cover it, then he or she may get away with it. They shouldn't lie about the fact that it's almost exclusively being driven down here though (but don't need to volunteer info either). Eventually, he or she will be dropped once the insurance figures out what's going on. I can base that on past experience with both myself and my other half, coming from two different states.
In our case, the insurance company is aware that our car is being kept and driven strictly in CA, and raised no objection. Our son is not listed as a dependent on our taxes anymore.

I wonder if the OP is still a student. That wasn't made clear in the first post.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:00 AM
bUU

Quote:
Don't try to tack your own sentiment onto someone else's like you were saying the same thing.
Stop beating a dead horse. You don't like the reality. I already said you can believe what you want. But don't try to make it seem like you have a point. You don't.

Quote:
Perhaps you're projecting. So how about you stop with the personal attacks, because they reflect far more poorly on your character than that of the people you are desperately trying to drown out. I suggest you accept that a reasonable person disagrees with you and has very politely expressed that disagreement, and move on.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Stop beating a dead horse. You don't like the reality. I already said you can believe what you want. But don't try to make it seem like you have a point. You don't.

Perhaps you're projecting. So how about you stop with the personal attacks, because they reflect far more poorly on your character than that of the people you are desperately trying to drown out. I suggest you accept that a reasonable person disagrees with you and has very politely expressed that disagreement, and move on.

Evidently, you don't even know a personal attack when you read one. Your way of latching on to the biggest stack of nothing and trying to form into a crime made out of playdough still feels like having a conversation with. Barney Fife.

Now, when you were calling me obtuse, disingenuous, etc. earlier, which is a direct personal attack in the form of name calling, you didn't see me boo-hooing.
For God's sake, man up.

All that being said, the OP still hasn't done anything illegal and know amount of tantrum throwing can make it so.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:54 AM
bUU

Quote:
Evidently, you don't even know a personal attack when you read one. ... Barney Fife.

Quote:
Now, when you were calling me obtuse, disingenuous, etc. earlier
I said you were being disingenuous. I even defined it: "ignoring critical words in the comments to which you're replying". I posted something with the words "for more than a month or three" and your reply totally ignored the time period that was the core aspect of my comment. That's textbook disingenuity. If you cannot tell the difference between attacking your character (such as calling people names) and describing your comments (such as I did), then that's something you'll have to work through yourself.

Regardless, its time to stop beating this dead horse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta