Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2018, 01:47 PM

1,180 posts, read 983,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
I am not a lawyer, so I really have no idea. But it really seems like that a businesses (Emory) is gaming the system, almost independently, redirecting their tax dollars from public schools to something that directly benefits them (transit)—the system is not intended to work that way. It really looks like “Socially conscious” Emory screwed over public schools so they could get the transit they wanted.
Emory is nonprofit and doesn't pay property taxes on its educational facilities. It does pay taxes on its retail facilities. The funding for transit would come from the city of Atlanta half penny sales tax. The bulk of the money in question comes from other property owners, businesses and residents, in the annexed area. APS wasn't initially to expand with the borders but APS took issue. APS is now expanding with city and taking the money that was supposed to remain in Dekalb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 02:12 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,783,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The $2M that DeKalb is suing over is not going to fund More MARTA Projects.
It is 2 million per year that was being spent to educate Dekalb County students that is now going to COA. Now COA is spending money for Emory’s and COA’s benefit. You can argue about pots of money being designated for this and that, but there are limited sources of revenue—and is there any doubt that once all the revenue filters this way and that, there will be less money going to educating children in Dekalb, and more money going towards transit at Emory’s front door than if Emory had not asked to be annexed?

Old 06-05-2018, 02:18 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
It is 2 million per year that was being spent to educate Dekalb County students that is now going to COA. Now COA is spending money for Emory’s and COA’s benefit. You can argue about pots of money being designated for this and that, but there are limited sources of revenue—and is there any doubt that once all the revenue filters this way and that, there will be less money going to educating children in Dekalb, and more money going towards transit at Emory’s front door than if Emory had not asked to be annexed?
You are assuming that Emory began the annexation process ONLY to get MoreMARTA funds directed to their project.

Old 06-05-2018, 02:48 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,783,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
You are assuming that Emory began the annexation process ONLY to get MoreMARTA funds directed to their project.
Oh, I am sure that Emory has more *selfless* reasons to annex. Whatever they are registered as for tax purposes, Emory is a huge business, acting in its interest as all businesses do. They were able to get the system to work for them, and against Dekalb County Schools. You may like the result, but do you think that is the way the law was supposed to work?

Old 06-05-2018, 03:17 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
What a waste of our Dekalb taxpayer dollars.
Are we surprised?

Old 06-05-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
That's a great point.
$2,000,000. That's $250,000 per pupil. Sorry, I don't follow.
Are we supposed to buy the idea that every dime in 'lost revenue' is going to the education of eight students? And that COA should bear the cost of maintaining police, fire, and infrastructure gratis while DeKalb continues to receive the revenue? Good luck selling that to the judge.

Old 06-05-2018, 03:54 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,741,019 times
Quote:
From the Dekalb County Schools point of view, they lost 8 students and something like $2,000,000. That’s a lot of techer salaries, kids books, and whatnot. It’s not like Emory left because of the schools, but it is the schools that are getting hurt. It’s not something that any school system could easily shake off.
The law is the law. If they really want to change things go to the state legislature instead of suing the COA for following the law. (I don’t agree with our system of school districts, I think all school districts should be independent of city and county boundaries and drawn to be non-discriminatory toward race and income levels.)

Old 06-05-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
The law is the law. If they really want to change things go to the state legislature instead of suing the COA for following the law. (I don’t agree with our system of school districts, I think all school districts should be independent of city and county boundaries and drawn to be non-discriminatory toward race and income levels.)
Which is done in many other states.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:08 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Which is done in many other states.
You still get the have and have not districts, they just aren't bound by the city limit boundaries.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
You still get the have and have not districts, they just aren't bound by the city limit boundaries.
What happens is that the quality of the independent districts drive real estate values within them regardless of municipal boundaries. An example is the Fremont-Union District in the San Jose area that overlaps several cities. In Santa Clara (my late in-laws' old hometown) RE values drop like a rock once you cross the district line, even within the same city. It's not that the areas that are outside of F-U are less desirable by any other metric, but the district creates the premium.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fremon...chool_District
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta