Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2017, 03:35 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Perfect.

So now that it is advantageous to this private organization to join the city, they get to do so and quickly reap the benefits w/o really paying in or putting the effort into passing this tax.

This project is going to take up a massive portion of the funds the residents of the city approved for numerous projects. If this comes at the expense of other projects, it seems wrong for something that isn't even part of Atlanta to suddenly swoop in and take it from the residents that approved it.

I wouldn't vote against annexation (if I can) at this point, but I understand how this feels wrong. Understand, I know that feelings should mean little when up against facts. But I understand where those feelings are coming from and they seem legit to me
"Private Organization". How convenient. The Emory/CDC is a massive employer, and is responsible for a significant amount of human traffic in this metro daily. So in dismissing Emory's desire to facilitate this move, you're also dismissing the needs of a great many people to reduce their commuting pressures.
What exactly are these 'other projects' that will suffer under this scenario, anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 04:12 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
"Private Organization". How convenient. The Emory/CDC is a massive employer, and is responsible for a significant amount of human traffic in this metro daily. So in dismissing Emory's desire to facilitate this move, you're also dismissing the needs of a great many people to reduce their commuting pressures.
What exactly are these 'other projects' that will suffer under this scenario, anyway?
Why so defensive? Good Lord. Emory is a private organization. Deal with it.

You're the only one being dismissive btw. I recognize the benefits of the expansion and also the sentiment that they are jumping the line. Like everything wrong in politics these days.... THE WORLD ISN'T BINARY.

You do know that the tax is not enough to fund every project on the list, right? So when something gets funded, other projects have to wait (likely a very long time) or just don't come to fruition. So with that said, I would much rather see the entirety of Beltline transit built and funded. This would be of much greater benefit to the actual CoA than a line to existing development (that isn't even in the city) IMO. What is going to grow Atlanta's tax revenue more? I will admit I don't know for certain, but it seems to me new development taking place in undeveloped and underdeveloped areas would be the winner there.

and again, I both understand the benefits of and the potential downsides to the Clifton Corridor. I wouldn't bother calling that dismissive.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Why so defensive? Good Lord. Emory is a private organization. Deal with it.

You're the only one being dismissive btw. I recognize the benefits of the expansion and also the sentiment that they are jumping the line. Like everything wrong in politics these days.... THE WORLD ISN'T BINARY.

You do know that the tax is not enough to fund every project on the list, right? So when something gets funded, other projects have to wait (likely a very long time) or just don't come to fruition. So with that said, I would much rather see the entirety of Beltline transit built and funded. This would be of much greater benefit to the actual CoA than a line to existing development (that isn't even in the city) IMO. What is going to grow Atlanta's tax revenue more? I will admit I don't know for certain, but it seems to me new development taking place in undeveloped and underdeveloped areas would be the winner there.

and again, I both understand the benefits of and the potential downsides to the Clifton Corridor. I wouldn't bother calling that dismissive.
I'm not the one being defensive, except maybe to this point I've seen no clear argument out of you or Sen. Fort as to why this annexation shouldn't happen. How could the money be better spent? Present your argument. I'm all ears.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:46 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I can think of many ways Emory could start helping to make up for being tax exempt and to contribute its fair share to bringing rail transit to its front door.
We get it, you want them to gut their endowment to pay for it.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:11 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I'm not the one being defensive, except maybe to this point I've seen no clear argument out of you or Sen. Fort as to why this annexation shouldn't happen. How could the money be better spent? Present your argument. I'm all ears.
I've already answered your questions. But, for your benefit...

Just because you aren't offended by Emory swooping in and taking a massive chunk of a pie that was meant to be split b/t the CoA, doesn't mean that feeling that way is wrong. Don't forget, this is a pie that everyone else said no to and the CoA had to take on alone. That's Atlanta's pie, we earned it. Emory didn't. I'm not against sharing and making that pie bigger by any means, but there should be an appropriate contribution. It doesn't really sound like Emory and the area will be able to do that w/ this annexation alone.

and further, to quote a wise man:

Quote:
I would much rather see the entirety of Beltline transit built and funded. This would be of much greater benefit to the actual CoA than a line to existing development (that isn't even in the city) IMO. What is going to grow Atlanta's tax revenue more? I will admit I don't know for certain, but it seems to me new development taking place in undeveloped and underdeveloped areas would be the winner there.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:16 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
We get it, you want them to gut their endowment to pay for it.
You keep saying that, even though I've suggested MANY other ways they could make a significant contribution.

There are no doubt plenty of other ways they could participate as well.

How about a public private partnership? Suppose Emory and some of the other big mules went into the capital markets and used their financial muscle to help underwrite some transit bonds? They could be repaid with fare collections, deferred increases in property values, parking surcharges and/or any number of other things.

I truly don't get why big businesses and institutions are considered sacred cows.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
I've already answered your questions. But, for your benefit...

Just because you aren't offended by Emory swooping in and taking a massive chunk of a pie that was meant to be split b/t the CoA, doesn't mean that feeling that way is wrong. Don't forget, this is a pie that everyone else said no to and the CoA had to take on alone. That's Atlanta's pie, we earned it. Emory didn't. I'm not against sharing and making that pie bigger by any means, but there should be an appropriate contribution. It doesn't really sound like Emory and the area will be able to do that w/ this annexation alone.

and further, to quote a wise man:
By saying you have a 'feeling' doesn't tell me anything. So you haven't answered anything. Present an argument against this Emory plan or not. What Emory is contributing, if nothing else, is a great number of potential commuters to the pool.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:49 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,146,666 times
I understand those that are saying Emory should pay their fair share. Contrary to popular belief, Emory is not suffering for money, by any means. There have been many options suggested and Emory joining COA should be to the benefit of both parties. Strategically, Emory has already shown their hand - they want to be in COA bc they are vulnerable to cityhood elsewhere if they do not. Therefore, a thinking negotiator would recognize that Emory is very likely to give a bit, if asked. They want in and have made no secret of it. It is COA's play. If the attys dont get more out of it for COA that is their fault.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:15 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
The CoA spokesperson seems to be channeling their inner Trump --Fort is currently within two percentage of points of hitting a spot in the runoff. Sounds like he's got some folks worried.
Sounds like a Reed quote. The guy is pretty nasty with people he doesn't like or whenever someone challenges him. VERY thin skinned.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:18 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
You don't understand the sentiment? A large private organization that hadn't payed into Atlanta all the sudden wants in? We do all the work and they reap the benefits. That's a bit off putting.

Now practically, I get why connecting Emory is a good idea. But the way this happened doesn't seem right.
From MARTA's planning, the North Fulton line, Hamilton Homes extension, Stonecrest/I-20 extension and Clifton Corridor have all been planned for a long time and all had high priority. Its actually the beltline that has been "cutting in line." They didn't even have planned routes until weeks before the TSPLOST vote. Just before the vote they came out with something similar to their current plan. They apparently figured out running in a circle 4 miles from town didn't generate much ridership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta