Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 03:03 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,823,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
I think there should be areas where people can go to voluntarily self-segregate. That would ultimately keep the peace as long as outsiders left them alone. This could be done along any racial lines, any religious lines, and even political lines.

We could have small towns that essentially function as HOA's. I think it would also make good business sense. I'm sure there are millions of people on all sides who would like to voluntarily self-separate themselves when they come home from work, and if you read The Big Sort (published a decade ago) you'd see that people are already doing this.

Voluntarism should be allowed, and people should be allowed to form communities around it. It's when so-called "change" is forced upon people by government and outside influence that problems happen. It's not for everyone, but it should be an option.
you do realize you're basically restating plessy v. ferguson, a supreme court decision made in 1896 that allowed towns to 'voluntarily self-segregate'. that decision was overturned by brown v. board of education, because it was unconstitutional violation of the 14th amendment.

please stop believing that people of different skin colors have some kind of essential difference. it's nonsense.

Old 09-03-2016, 03:11 PM

6,610 posts, read 8,977,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
I think there should be areas where people can go to voluntarily self-segregate. That would ultimately keep the peace as long as outsiders left them alone. This could be done along any racial lines, any religious lines, and even political lines.

We could have small towns that essentially function as HOA's. I think it would also make good business sense. I'm sure there are millions of people on all sides who would like to voluntarily self-separate themselves when they come home from work, and if you read The Big Sort (published a decade ago) you'd see that people are already doing this.

Voluntarism should be allowed, and people should be allowed to form communities around it. It's when so-called "change" is forced upon people by government and outside influence that problems happen. It's not for everyone, but it should be an option.
Don't people already voluntarily segregate? I didn't know that kind of thing had ended.

There is no one forcing integration of residential areas, but people are allowed to live wherever they want to in 2016 and no one is going to tell them they can't, so you can just put that little idea out of your mind. If you're going to segregate along racial, religious and political line then why stop there? How about neighborhoods for pretty people? How about only people with advanced degrees? See, it sound ignorant doesn't it - all of it. You can't exclude anyone from living somewhere based on perceived differences if they can afford to live there.

Old 09-03-2016, 04:04 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,167,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
you do realize you're basically restating plessy v. ferguson, a supreme court decision made in 1896 that allowed towns to 'voluntarily self-segregate'. that decision was overturned by brown v. board of education, because it was unconstitutional violation of the 14th amendment.

please stop believing that people of different skin colors have some kind of essential difference. it's nonsense.
You're right ... anatomically we're all the same.

Old 09-03-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
You're right ... anatomically we're all the same.
Yes, we're all human and all deserve to be treated equally/fairly. Our differences should do more to unite us than to divide us, but some people will always choose the latter for whatever reason.

Old 09-03-2016, 04:22 PM

6,703 posts, read 6,396,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
You're 8 years too late. Obama already accomplished that goal. Want more of the same? Vote for Hillary.

Old 09-03-2016, 05:44 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,109,679 times
Oh wow the neo-Confederates/Trump supporters came out in force on this thread.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:12 AM

37,796 posts, read 41,518,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlmike View Post
The poster of this thread seems to conveniently leave out that it was southern democrats like cough .. cough the Clintons that made those type of things possible back in the day.
So the Clintons were Southern segregationists like Strom Thurmond and Jesse Helms (both of which fled the Democratic Party and found refuge in the GOP, by the way)?

Quote:
Funny how a Black President can be in office for 8 years and groups like BLM and new black panthers party just spring-up like jack in the boxes.
The NBBP was founded 27 years ago. The rise of BLM coincides with the development and evolution of technology which allows the whole world to see what only local communities used to be able to know and see.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:52 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,317,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlmike View Post
The poster of this thread seems to conveniently leave out that it was southern democrats like cough .. cough the Clintons that made those type of things possible back in the day.
Funny how a Black President can be in office for 8 years and groups like BLM and new black panthers party just spring-up like jack in the boxes.
..........really?

Old 09-04-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
You're 8 years too late. Obama already accomplished that goal. Want more of the same? Vote for Hillary.
Yes, I want more of the same. I don't want to go backwards, thank you.

I love how these people seem to blame Obama for everything. Do they actually think he has created a racially charged environment? Of course he didn't...many other factors have caused the current environment, but he president isn't one of them. You can't pile blame on Obama anymore than blame for the recession can be placed on Bush alone.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:41 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,823,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I love how these people seem to blame Obama for everything. Do they actually think he has created a racially charged environment? Of course he didn't...many other factors have caused the current environment, but he president isn't one of them. You can't pile blame on Obama anymore than blame for the recession can be placed on Bush alone.
yeah i don't know where conservatives are getting that, at all. black lives matter started when there began to be irrefutable video proof that being born black in america is essentially living with a target on your back for your entire life, no matter what you do. ask even one of these black trump supporters how many times they have been pulled over by the police in the past year and your jaw will drop. it's not safe to be black in america, but when you point it out these people say "it's not safe to be white in america!", but they don't rely on statistics, they rely on wild sensationalist stories they see in tabloids and on TV, nobody they know has ever been robbed or shot by a black person, but they see every black person as a potential robber or murderer. the fact of the matter is that they've never thought about what it is like to be a black person in america because they're too busy being afraid of them to bother showing a ounce of humanity. it is a cowardly belief born of ignorance, and the only solution is empathy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta