Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 09:26 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,203,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Atlanta lost 2 NHL teams, we aren't getting another chance.
Probably, but who knows what may happen, I have my doubts that a NHL team in Las Vegas is going to be successful. The fact remains, we are a big market and the potential to make money is high.

But my primary concern is a minor league type hockey team. Atlanta is sorely missing some hockey (sorry, Glads are too far out to be an Atlanta team) . Why not sell tickets for another 40+ dates?

Hopefully you are on to something toll-booth, maybe this doesn't preclude hockey. I'm sure they are still going to have those Disney on ice type events, maybe that will have them keep some infrastructure around
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 09:49 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,807,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I wish there was a way we could make them stop.

Corporate welfare, bread and circuses.
Me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
I thought revenue from Hartsfield was restricted to only be used for the airport grounds itself.
Think the rental car tax is separate from that. The revenue the airport gets from the airlines (gate fees) and concessions stays for use at the airport and how things like the $6B in upgrades happening there are paid for.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:53 AM

6,495 posts, read 6,071,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Think the rental car tax is separate from that. The revenue the airport gets from the airlines (gate fees) and concessions stays for use at the airport and how things like the $6B in upgrades happening there are paid for.
Ah, gotcha.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:43 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,814,945 times
So, thinking about this $200M penalty if the Hawks leave . . . I'm guessing it does not preclude them from demanding it be renovated to their tastes again in another decade right? It's certainly not going to remain as-is for 30 years, and I'm guessing they won't be cutting huge checks for changes.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
So, thinking about this $200M penalty if the Hawks leave . . . I'm guessing it does not preclude them from demanding it be renovated to their tastes again in another decade right? It's certainly not going to remain as-is for 30 years, and I'm guessing they won't be cutting huge checks for changes.
They can demand it, but they won't really have as much leverage since the main threat they use is relocating the team. Of course they might be able to find somewhere willing to pony up $200M on top of the costs of a new arena to "buy them out".

Old 11-02-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
People say this but it's silly. City loses more how, by paying 140 million for this renovation or by losing all of it's pro franchises? Keep in mind this means no need to upgrade them after that point so the city also loses all of the events that these stadiums host. People dont really think logically on this subject.
No, what is silly is that we, the city, pay a for profit business to tap into the very resource they need to make money, people/fans. It is like giving an incentive for BP to come tap into some prime crude. They will make money, they don't need an incentive to be here. That's logical.

The fact is, if subsidies for sports teams were eliminated nationwide, these sports teams would not disappear (maybe from some smaller cities). All this does is help the greedy ass team owner's bottom line. Corporate welfare needs to be eliminated nation wide. Let the merits of your city stand on their own, if your city sucks and no one wants to be there, fix that rather than hand out cash to people who don't need it.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:06 AM

Yes. Also, reality is these sports teams don't bring in loads of money to the city. The city would be better off financially by not spending the $140M on them.

Sports Stadiums Have No Impact on Municipal Economies--So Why is it We Still Subsidize the NFL?

Sports, Jobs, & Taxes: Are New Stadiums Worth the Cost? | Brookings

Are pro sports teams economic winners for cities? | Marketplace

Sports stadiums don't spur economic growth, Stanford expert says

Quote:
Leeds pointed out that a major league baseball team has about the same economic impact as a small department store
Should we be giving out $100Ms of tax dollars to try to lure a Macy's? No. These subsidies are bad policy at all levels.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:20 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,546,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Probably, but who knows what may happen, I have my doubts that a NHL team in Las Vegas is going to be successful. The fact remains, we are a big market and the potential to make money is high.
Not high enough. Thrashers lost money hand-over-fist their last few years before moving to Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Atlanta is sorely missing some hockey (sorry, Glads are too far out to be an Atlanta team).
But, but, but...they've got "Atlanta" in their name. That makes them an Atlanta team...doesn't it?

Looking at Gladiators' attendance numbers, they've never averaged more than about 6000 people in Gwinnett Arena, which, configured for ice hockey, has almost twice as many seats.

Old 11-02-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
Not high enough. Thrashers lost money hand-over-fist their last few years before moving to Winnipeg.
I am certain that a good ownership group, one that actually wants to own the team, could fix this easily. We are a top media market full of transplants from the north. If the NHL can be successful in other cities where it doesn't snow, there isn't a good reason why it couldn't succeed here. It's so easy to convert someone to a hockey fan, just take them to a game. It sells itself!

I agree, the return of the NHL is a massive longshot. There are plenty of reasons for it to be successful, but a couple of big reasons why a potential owner would be adverse. But who needs the NHL anyways, I would be very happy to see a minor league team that is accessible to most of the metro.
Quote:
But, but, but...they've got "Atlanta" in their name. That makes them an Atlanta team...doesn't it?

Looking at Gladiators' attendance numbers, they've never averaged more than about 6000 people in Gwinnett Arena, which, configured for ice hockey, has almost twice as many seats.
I would love to see them make the move to Phillips to justify their name. I would absolutely be a season ticket holder. I hate that it seems like I don't support the only professional hockey team in the metro, but I am put off that is in a rather far off corner of the metro.

Old 11-02-2016, 02:35 PM

304 posts, read 322,845 times
In the words of the beloved Al Bundy:

Assss-clowms of this city are truly destroying this place. And see I tell you now there will be no money for the "gulch" just wait. And that gaudy hotel that is going across the streets where the Dome sits now is going to block that masterful view of the "other" new stadium from the classic midtown - south skyline vantage point. So HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Oh what a glorious day this is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: