U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2016, 07:58 AM

36 posts, read 14,929 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move from New York suburbs. Our son will be away at school. We are worried about making friends and fitting in. We were looking at Roswell and Alpharetta but now thinking maybe closer in like Decatur.
We are young 50s that like to socialize a lot- dining, dancing, etc.
We've thought of New York City but budget wise could never swing it with how we'd like to live.
Is it easy for empty nesters to make friends in Atlanta?
Its so different when you don't have kid school events and sports to connect you.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 10:56 AM

8,878 posts, read 11,246,353 times
Honestly probably easier in town where people tend to socialize in public areas a little bit more. In Alpharetta and Roswell, people tend to be focused on their families.

Last edited by ATLTJL; 08-28-2016 at 11:46 AM..

Old 08-28-2016, 10:59 AM

1,204 posts, read 894,084 times
I think you'd be just fine here. There are a lot of transplants here, and certainly plenty of empty nesters. I think you're wise to look at areas like Decatur, which have revitalized downtown areas with lots of activities, restaurants and the like. Another is Downtown Marietta, which is more affordable and has similar amenities (minus a MARTA station), with several dozen restaurants, shops and so on. Marietta is a bit more under the radar than Decatur but it may actually have more festivals, concerts, open air markets, etc., simply due to the layout of its town Square. I would guess that you might be a bit more likely to find empty nesters in Downtown Marietta than in City of Decatur, as the excellent Decatur City Schools are accompanied by high property values and property taxes, and I imagine that many people who don't need the schools for their own kids probably decide that they don't need to pay for them, either. But I imagine that you'd still find plenty in both places.

We live in a new construction infill neighborhood in Downtown Marietta, and our neighborhood is a great mix of empty nesters, couples with young children and dual-income, no kids (DINK), with the empty nesters probably making up a plurality. (We are in the DINK camp, and our best friends in the neighborhood are empty nesters.) Many are transplants, and since the neighborhood is pretty new (though surrounded by older homes), most of us are new to the immediate area, and so we have all been eager to make new friends, and have succeeded in doing so. We have lots of social events, and impromptu dinners with neighbors are quite common, with all three groups (empty nesters, couples with young children and DINK) mixing quite well. We walk to the Square quite often for festivals, concerts, the Saturday farmer's market, events at the Strand Theatre, etc., and that provides good new social outlets as well.

Good luck in your search and potential move, and let us know of any questions!

Old 08-28-2016, 03:25 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,034,028 times
I don't have children so I have never used that as a means of connecting to others. You should have no problem making friends with similar interests. You may not have the same people who want to run a 5K as those who want to chill with drinks around the pool or those who want to golf, but there is room for all of them.

It's mostly up to whether you're someone you'd like to be friends with.

Old 08-28-2016, 03:59 PM

4,010 posts, read 2,790,085 times
Do you expect for people to approach you or do you approach people?

Do people tell you that you have good characteristics to be a friend?

I would highly recommend you joining meetup.com here and you will have the tools available to make great friends

Old 08-28-2016, 04:18 PM

2,019 posts, read 1,020,632 times
Meetup!!! I have lived here a long time and have friends from when my daughter was young and from work, but that doesn't mean they all like the same activities that I do. I have taken up hiking on the local trails with several meetup groups. I have also enjoyed dining and political meetups. It is a great way to meet people with similar interests.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:55 PM

1,990 posts, read 1,682,353 times
Active church senior groups are a great way to meet people and stay active.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:31 PM

36 posts, read 14,929 times
Great suggestion about meetup. Didn't think of that but it seems that's a good start

Old 08-30-2016, 05:46 AM

4,010 posts, read 2,790,085 times
5 million people live in the metro area. You should be able to meet 5 friends

Old 08-30-2016, 08:19 AM

2,019 posts, read 1,020,632 times
If you like the outdoors, another group to try is the Atlanta Outdoor Club. They have their own website and there are activities for all fitness levels. People are very friendly in these groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta