Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2016, 02:48 PM

3 posts, read 1,871 times

Advertisements

I've had a couple of ppl tell me if i apply for a mortgage and have a debit under a $1,000 they don't worry about it, the lender.
They said if you have a debt greater than 2,000 The lender just calculate the monthly payment using 5% of the outstanding balance of the collection and include the monthly payment in the your debit to income ratio. how true is that??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 04:22 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,440,929 times
Doesn't sound true at all. I had to payoff everything, and explain anything that was charged off.

Last edited by Atlwarrior; 08-28-2016 at 05:06 PM..

Old 08-28-2016, 04:44 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Doesn't sound true at all. I had to payoff everything, and explain anything that was charge off.

This was my experience as well.

OP, I don't know anything about the loopholes you mentioned, but I would not bank on them overlooking a debt that's only two years old.

Old 08-28-2016, 05:19 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,963,487 times
Talk to a mortgage broker. Here is a great source for information.

Mortgage Professor: Standard and Reverse Mortgage Guidance

Old 08-28-2016, 06:05 PM

643 posts, read 571,643 times
A sane person wouldn't loan money to someone who has recent history of inability or unwillingness to fulfill their debts. Why would a bank do the same?

Old 08-28-2016, 07:42 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,440,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHonchoATL View Post
A sane person wouldn't loan money to someone who has recent history of inability or unwillingness to fulfill their debts. Why would a bank do the same?
Oh please, especially after tax payers bailed big banks out. Furthermore so called sane people file Chapter 7 Bankruptcy all the time. Even Trump has used bankruptcy and could possible be president. Take your grandiose attitude and dump it.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:49 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickchairsmith View Post
I've had a couple of ppl tell me if i apply for a mortgage and have a debit under a $1,000 they don't worry about it, the lender.
They said if you have a debt greater than 2,000 The lender just calculate the monthly payment using 5% of the outstanding balance of the collection and include the monthly payment in the your debit to income ratio. how true is that??
The debt to income ratio will not be the long pole in you getting a mortgage, the fact that you have a collection will be.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:50 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Oh please, especially after tax payers bailed big banks out. Furthermore so called sane people file Chapter 7 Bankruptcy all the time. Even Trump has used bankruptcy and could possible be president. Take your grandiose attitude and dump it.
Nope, I despise Trump but he's absolutely right. The fact that some Wall Street bankers were irresponsible does not give everyone license to be.

Recent collections will mean you credit score is in the ****ter. You will have a hard time obtaining a mortgage if that is the case, and if you do successfully obtain one, you will pay a higher interest rate.

I'm applying for my first mortgage soon. I've kept my credit spotless and now score over 800 for just this reason.

If you want to borrow hundreds of thousands of dollars, it helps substantially when you can show that you were responsible in repaying smaller debts. No one has a right to obtain a loan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta