Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 08:29 AM

2,022 posts, read 1,313,188 times

Advertisements

Coincidentally there was one of those underground utility marking guys in my yard this very morning (Aug 31) spraying the marks on the grass. We asked him what's up, and he said he was marking off the underground utilities for the Google fiber that's coming up the street shortly. He didn't say exactly when it would be run, but generally they don't do the marking very far in advance. This is in the Decatur/Avondale area.

When they'll let us connect is another question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 08:48 AM

681 posts, read 1,045,393 times
If Google fiber wants to corner the market, they will need to hurry up and expand to get more customer's to expand their market and income.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:03 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
I think the "Fiber" part for Google is a Temporary StopGap for now, Google was in on the radio spectrum auctions the FCC ran in 2003, I know they dropped out after a few rounds of bidding on the a national radio spectrum frequency range, with some requirements that the winner sell at wholesale rates to do WiMax Data to Google (and others).

I had Clear WiMax for years for my internet for years, but they did not have a national network, and did not have enough marketing dollars behind it to educate and sell to a big enough audience to make it profitable, Sprint the owner of the frequency reclaimed it from them when they went bankrupt.

That being said, I think Google has the muscle behind it to be able to go Wireless (WiMax) for the last mile to get from the fiber cable to a network of neighborhood WiMax Nodes.

ie: You are willing to put a small WiMax transceiver on your roof that would be the connect point for your neighborhood for free or discounted service.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:08 AM

681 posts, read 1,045,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
I think the "Fiber" part for Google is a Temporary StopGap for now, Google was in on the radio spectrum auctions the FCC ran in 2003, I know they dropped out after a few rounds of bidding on the a national radio spectrum frequency range, with some requirements that the winner sell at wholesale rates to do WiMax Data to Google (and others).

I had Clear WiMax for years for my internet for years, but they did not have a national network, and did not have enough marketing dollars behind it to educate and sell to a big enough audience to make it profitable, Sprint the owner of the frequency reclaimed it from them when they went bankrupt.

That being said, I think Google has the muscle behind it to be able to go Wireless (WiMax) for the last mile to get from the fiber cable to a network of neighborhood WiMax Nodes.

ie: You are willing to put a small WiMax transceiver on your roof that would be the connect point for your neighborhood for free or discounted service.
how reliable is that signal though? any issues with wireless interference? also what kind of speeds could you get over just a pure wireless signal?

Old 08-31-2016, 09:39 AM

ClearLine had its transceiver on cell towers, you did need to be somewhat in line of sight to it, to get the best signal, I bought a 15mbs package, but was getting 20-25mbs when i did speedtests down, and about 1mbs up.

When I signed up I had 3 different towers I could hit (I did put the modem/receiver on 2nd floor of my house, for better speed). After a few years Clearline shut down one tower (A medium strength one for me 4bars), I had access to a 5bar, and 2bar.
From what I understand about WiMax the speed is rated at 1gb/sec per node channel each tower would have many node channels per frequency and can have a number of frequencies it can use, with the modem/receiver negotiating with the transceiver to what channel & frequency & tower to use.

I read somewhere each tower could do 1tb/sec.

Never experience wireless interference that impacted me.

Last edited by flyonpa; 08-31-2016 at 10:45 AM..

Old 08-31-2016, 10:36 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualErik View Post
If Google fiber wants to corner the market, they will need to hurry up and expand to get more customer's to expand their market and income.
That's just it; these alternative service providers don't want to "corner the market" - that's a waste of capital - they want to exploit the market for optimum profit. Look at how both FIOS and Google fiber went up against the incumbents. Without the onerous regulations that the incumbents were forced to comply with, they crafted smart business plans, that pursued different approaches but both approaches deliberately aimed to carve out reliably profitable segments within the market.

Quote:
Quote:
I read somewhere each tower could do 1tb/sec.
So shared ten ways that's not that bad, but still not as good as 100% terrestrial service.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post

So shared ten ways that's not that bad, but still not as good as 100% terrestrial service.
Most household users are not even close to being able to pull 1gb/sec in usage. So most of that available bandwidth sits "empty" most of the time.

For a 4K TV Steaming you need around 25mbs per Steam, So everyone in the house could be streaming 4K show and that would make only a small dent in a 1GigaBit/sec download speed.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:58 AM
bUU

Quote:
Most household users are not even close to being able to pull 1gb/sec in usage. So most of that available bandwidth sits "empty" most of the time.
Don't say that too loud, or they'll split the service twenty ways instead of ten. No matter how you slice it, it will always bee attractive to under-resource wireless as compared to wired service.

Old 08-31-2016, 11:07 AM

34 posts, read 58,662 times
After dealing with Comcast and AT&T for the last decade, I very excited about the idea of dealing with Google instead.

Old 09-01-2016, 04:25 AM
bUU

So you can become equally disillusioned with yet another big company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta