U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2016, 07:39 AM

727 posts, read 580,084 times

Advertisements

County...........2015 Est. Population....White....Non Hisp. White....Black....Asian......Hispanic....2 or More
Fulton County.......1,010,562..............46%........ 40%.................44%.....7%..........7%........ ..2%
Gwinnett County....895,823 ................57%........ 40%.................28%.....12%.........20%....... ..3%
Cobb County......... 741,334...............64%.........53%............. ....28%.....5%...........13%.........2%
DeKalb County....... 734,871.............. 36%......... 30%................. 55%.....6%...........9%..........2%
Clayton County.......273,955...............23%.........13% ................. 69%.....5%..........13%.........2%
Cherokee County.....235,900...............89%..........80%. ................7%......2%..........10%.........2%
Henry County..........217,739...............52%......... .47%.................42%.....3%........... 6%.........2%
Forsyth County.........212,438..............84%..........7 5%..................4%...... 10%........10%.........2%
Hall County............. 193,535..............87%..........62%............. ......8%......2%......... 28%......... 2%
Douglas County........ 140,733.............51%...........44%............. .....45%.....2%......... 9%.......... 2%
Coweta County..........138,427.............78%........... 72%..................18%......2%......... 7%...........2%
Carroll County............114,545.............77%......... ..72%..................19%.....1%........ 7%...........2%
Fayette County...........110,714.............70%.......... .64%..................23%.....5%......... 7%...........2%
Newton County...........105,473.............53%.......... .49%.................44%......1%.........5%....... ....2%
Bartow County............102,747.............85%......... ..78%.................11%......1%........ 8%...........2%
Rockdale County.......... 88,856.............43%............35%............. ...52%......2%........10%..........2%
Spalding County........... 64,051.............63%............60%............. ...34%......1%........ 4%...........2%

-Fulton, Gwinnett, Dekalb, Clayton, Henry, Douglas, Newton, and Rockdale are now all majority minority.

-Cobb is the only core county that is still majority non hispanic white

-Fulton remains the largest county, but Gwinnett is gaining ground

-Cherokee County has the highest % non-hispanic white population at 80%
-Clayton has the lowest % non-hispanic white population at 13%
-Clayton also has the highest % black population at 69%
-Forsyth has the lowest % black population at 3.7%
-Hall has the highest % Hispanic population at 28%
-Gwinnett has the largest % Asian population at 10%

American FactFinder - Results
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 08:00 AM

6,615 posts, read 4,083,890 times
All depends on the area of the county. I lived in Alpharetta and Sandy Springs for years, and most places I regularly went, you'd see a lot of other white people around. Especially Alpharetta. And that was in Fulton.

Now I live in Cobb, and unless I stick to a tiny little sub-area in the Vinings Village area, in my general area there are far more % non-white people everywhere, especially black people.

Doesn't bother me at all. The only thing is that I wish there was less obvious segregation, more integration of all races. Looking at you, Cumberland Mall and vicinity.

Vinings has a reputation for being white, but that's the wealthy SFH residential neighborhoods. If you go to any business establishment, it's as diverse as anywhere around, if not even moreso.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:43 AM

727 posts, read 580,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
All depends on the area of the county. I lived in Alpharetta and Sandy Springs for years, and most places I regularly went, you'd see a lot of other white people around. Especially Alpharetta. And that was in Fulton.

Now I live in Cobb, and unless I stick to a tiny little sub-area in the Vinings Village area, in my general area there are far more % non-white people everywhere, especially black people.

Doesn't bother me at all. The only thing is that I wish there was less obvious segregation, more integration of all races. Looking at you, Cumberland Mall and vicinity.

Vinings has a reputation for being white, but that's the wealthy SFH residential neighborhoods. If you go to any business establishment, it's as diverse as anywhere around, if not even moreso.
Good points primaltech. Although the counties look diverse on paper there are definitely segregation patterns within each county. North Fulton and East Cobb are predominantly white while South Fulton and South Cobb have higher African American Populations. Even Gwinnett, which appears to be a paragon of diversity has pockets of white, black, and asians neighborhood. Just look at Snellville. South Gwinnett High is majority black and Brookwood has a higher white/ asian population. The same in Fayette. Northen Fayette has a large affluent African American population, but most of Peachtree City and southern Fayette County is less than 5% African American. Not to mention Dekalb. Dunwoody/Emory area is very white and southern Dekalb Lithonia is almost exclusively black.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:30 PM

1,456 posts, read 936,468 times
Quote:

Segregation occurs naturally because generally areas that white people want to live in cost more, which prices out many minorities who would otherwise live there. I'm not sure how that is any one groups fault. It's just market forces.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:28 PM

30,535 posts, read 28,936,250 times
Seems to me the big demographic story for the ATL is the rapid growth of the Asian and hispanic populations.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:36 PM

8,071 posts, read 12,868,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Seems to me the big demographic story for the ATL is the rapid growth of the Asian and hispanic populations.
That and, what often gets lost in translation because of our society's view of ethnicity through skin color alone, a rapidly growing African and Caribbean population.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:22 PM

1,048 posts, read 671,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Segregation occurs naturally because generally areas that white people want to live in cost more, which prices out many minorities who would otherwise live there. I'm not sure how that is any one groups fault. It's just market forces.
Market forces yes, but also natural selection. Studies have shown all the races in general choose to live around their own. Self segregation, if you will.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:06 PM

6,615 posts, read 4,083,890 times
Just go to your average high school, during lunch. See how the kids arrange themselves at which tables. Or your average prison. Self-segregation is kind of the fallback default comfort behavior or whatever. We just need to actively do a little better at that, I think. Requires some conscious effort, on everyone's part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
For residential, that could be generally true. But certainly there are a lot of wealthy white people in Vinings and East Cobb, for whom Cumberland is their closest shopping mall area. Yet they're just not likely to go shopping somewhere that's 90% black, for simply that reason. Whole thing gradually became a cause/effect chain which then caused the mall and immediate surrounding area to be catered to the "urban" demographic, and etc. It just sort of became designated as that. And that's segregation. If you look at the stats of the population of the area, it will look very diverse. And it is diverse, but it's not all that integrated. Integration and diversity are really two totally different things.

Perimeter Mall is much more of a demographic mix, which is reflective of its surrounding area. Cumberland became this place where, when I go there (which I do), I'm the one white person as far as the eye can see. I just think it would be a better place if it was more like Perimeter, where the people who live around the mall are all just going there, and the racial outcome just plays out however it plays out. I guess that was probably the case with Cumberland historically, before a 'tipping point' must have occurred, and it was like, 'our people go here, their people go there'. And everyone just sort of agreed to those terms. White folks of the area drive a little further, to go shop somewhere else.

I definitely don't think it's any group's fault. I think it's all of our fault as Americans. We should be able mix it up a little better. We should more often forgo the subconscious comfort of people that look like us, and choose to go to places where nobody is your race. Because then, a few more people can follow you, then you've established some actual integration, or actual diversity at a given location. America's at its best when it's a big mixed up melting pot of every race, and they're actually interacting together.

The racial stats completely lie about the story, really. How diverse is Atlanta? It's very diverse. And it's also very segregated. #2 behind Chicago, actually. This article really sums it all up: (Check out the 'integration-segregation index')

The Most Diverse Cities Are Often The Most Segregated | FiveThirtyEight

Old 08-30-2016, 09:24 PM

50 posts, read 50,993 times
Quote:
The racial stats completely lie about the story, really. How diverse is Atlanta? It's very diverse. And it's also very segregated. #2 behind Chicago, actually. This article really sums it all up: (Check out the 'integration-segregation index')

The Most Diverse Cities Are Often The Most Segregated | FiveThirtyEight
I think it's important to realize that the study is really focused on the city proper and not the metropolitan areas. Most cities are segregated and this is mostly due to a city's very long history. The suburbs are a little different where even though there is segregation that is race based. Much of it is also economically based as well.

I currently live in Plano, TX. It's a suburb north of Dallas. The areas to the north are very diverse and there is some self segregation among a few groups. Mostly these groups are Asian (including Indian ancestry). Much of the segregation I see in the DFW area is historical. However, most up here in Plano, Frisco, McKinney, Allen, Wylie, etc., many of are transplants living in integrated communities. I'm kind of wondering if the counties of Cobb, Gwinnett, and North Fulton are the same.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:09 PM

2,813 posts, read 1,709,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Dad View Post
Good points primaltech. Although the counties look diverse on paper there are definitely segregation patterns within each county. North Fulton and East Cobb are predominantly white while South Fulton and South Cobb have higher African American Populations. Even Gwinnett, which appears to be a paragon of diversity has pockets of white, black, and asians neighborhood. Just look at Snellville. South Gwinnett High is majority black and Brookwood has a higher white/ asian population. The same in Fayette. Northen Fayette has a large affluent African American population, but most of Peachtree City and southern Fayette County is less than 5% African American. Not to mention Dekalb. Dunwoody/Emory area is very white and southern Dekalb Lithonia is almost exclusively black.
Ha! I was about to reply to the same post, and say that "yes, my pocket of east Cobb is quite diverse--but it doesn't look like anywhere else in Cobb county." And then I read your post

Yes, East Cobb is majority white, but I guess all 5% of Cobb's Asian population must live here...at least, that's who most of my neighbors are. My oldest kid has all the highest level middle schools classes--those classes are majority minority. My fourth graders class is a wonderland of diversity: just-learning-English Japanese kids, Chinese kids, a kid from Venezuela, several from India, a couple from Romania...I'm sure I'm leaving some out...and second and third generation East Cobbers, plus kids from all over America...its been a great experience, and they have a phenomenal teacher.

But we've lived in father north East Cobb and it was significantly less diverse. As are parts of Marietta, Kennesaw, etc. So even within a subsection of a country, one's exposure to diversity can vary greatly from school district to school district, even neighborhood to neighborhood. Pretty much like CofA and Fulton, and even Gwinnett.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta