Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 08:23 PM

950 posts, read 3,191,729 times

Advertisements

Like other posters said, Dallas and Atlanta are a lot alike.

I have read somewhere that by the year of 2020, Atlanta metro area is projected to become the fifth largest metro area in the US behind metro areas of New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Miami-Dade County, but ahead of Philadelphia, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston, Boston, Washington, DC., Phoenix and Detroit.

I strongly doubt Miami-Dade would rank that high at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 08:36 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
If you hated Dallas, you will not like Atlanta.

Atlanta does however, have more trees. Lots more. Substitute some of the Hispanic occupants for a larger black community. Replace some of the country music with Rap/Hip Hop. That's about it. Poof - a southern Dallas. Ok, with fewer cows, too.

If you want culture, things to do, not a lot of bible thumping or "yeehaw" politics, you want Portland, Seattle, or maybe Denver (if you can handle the cold/snow and like outdoor activities).

Old 02-21-2008, 09:04 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Like other posters said, Dallas and Atlanta are a lot alike.

I have read somewhere that by the year of 2020, Atlanta metro area is projected to become the fifth largest metro area in the US behind metro areas of New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Miami-Dade County, but ahead of Philadelphia, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston, Boston, Washington, DC., Phoenix and Detroit.

I strongly doubt Miami-Dade would rank that high at all.
According to this that's not quite right but you know different sites have their own take and ways of making projections. And you're right that according to this Miami-Dade won't surpass Atlanta metro.

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...os-2020-a.html

Old 02-22-2008, 02:05 AM

950 posts, read 3,191,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
According to this that's not quite right but you know different sites have their own take and ways of making projections. And you're right that according to this Miami-Dade won't surpass Atlanta metro.

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...os-2020-a.html
Thanks for the link, Portyhead. The one I got was from City Mayors: World's largest urban areas in 2020 (1).

Yeah, I know they are not always accurate with the figures.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:52 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
IMHO, you'll like Atlanta if you liked Annapolis and Rancho Cucamunga. My wife grew up in LA, so I'm familiar with the area. I disagree with all of the posters who are pushing you toward the inner city though- for $350k you're going to get a home equivalent to what you'd get for $400-500k in RC, though even older and likely in need of work. And while they profess that the schools are good, they usually follow that up with "they have very active parent groups to lake sure that the students do well- I'm a firm believer in being involved in my kids' education, but at the same time, I shouldn't have to be "actively involved" just to make sure the schools stay on the up and up.

If it was me, I'd look at some of the suburbs- places like Marietta, Roswell, of even out into Cherokee County (Woodstock, Holly Springs). You'll get much more house for the money, and newer schools without having to worry about the "this school is good, that school stinks" issue as much. $350 out there will buy you what $1 million would buy in Annapolis or LA.

BTW- you mentioned having a job lined up, but didn't mention where it's located. That's a key factor in figuring out where to look, unless you're OK with dealing with an LA-esque commute.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:19 AM

13 posts, read 40,709 times
Thanks All....

I was on the fense - And while I weight Bob's post highly, I think that is because it is what I wanted to hear. But You all know your city better then I do, and it sure seems like the risk would be high that I would end up in another Dallas.

I've decided to stay where I am....

Old 02-22-2008, 09:48 AM

1,197 posts, read 3,582,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECD9973 View Post

And we hated Dallas based on the following
Weather sucked (Cold in Winter, and 100+ for weeks on end in summer... even at night)
Nothing to do (Only so many times you can look at a X in the middle of the road)
No history
Flat
Brown (Tress and grass were dean 9 months of the year)
Very Right politically
Very Religious people
Low college graduated rank
Policies that made no sense (Many towns were "Dry", but only parts of the town)

So - While the job seems great, and Atlanta seems good. I'm very worried about ending up in another "Dallas". Is Atlanta closer to Dallas, DC/Annapolis, or Rancho Cucamogna?
It's all relative about Dallas. Guess it's what you prefer among others. To say that Dallas has no history, nothing to do, and that the weather sucks is painting with a pretty broad brush. Personally, I'm glad that it's more right-leaning in areas, but Dallas is still very progressive, which is a good thing.
If the D/FW metro area exceeds 5 million, then something's going right!

Old 02-22-2008, 10:22 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,350,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagmypts View Post
Personally, I think Atlanta ITP is an entirely different city/culture/lifestyle than the burbs.
Very true indeed. And when many non-Atlantans think of Atlanta, they immediately conjure up images of far flung, sprawling, cookie cutter subdivisions without sidewalks. Many of these same people would be (and are) amazed and impressed by the older ITP neighborhoods. I have had out-of-town friends visit my home in Decatur and comment that they didn't know places like it existed in Atlanta.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:27 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,260,766 times
Quote:
And while they profess that the schools are good, they usually follow that up with "they have very active parent groups to lake sure that the students do well- I'm a firm believer in being involved in my kids' education, but at the same time, I shouldn't have to be "actively involved" just to make sure the schools stay on the up and up.
Sorry, but that's the marker of ANY superior school - and I promise you that even if YOU'RE not active in your good school district you can easily find TONS of parents who are. I'm sure there aren't active parents in my son's inner city school, such as my husband. To HIM, he doesn't have to stay active to make sure our son is getting a good education.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:59 AM

297 posts, read 1,538,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
IMHO, you'll like Atlanta if you liked Annapolis and Rancho Cucamunga. My wife grew up in LA, so I'm familiar with the area. I disagree with all of the posters who are pushing you toward the inner city though- for $350k you're going to get a home equivalent to what you'd get for $400-500k in RC, though even older and likely in need of work. And while they profess that the schools are good, they usually follow that up with "they have very active parent groups to lake sure that the students do well- I'm a firm believer in being involved in my kids' education, but at the same time, I shouldn't have to be "actively involved" just to make sure the schools stay on the up and up.

If it was me, I'd look at some of the suburbs- places like Marietta, Roswell, of even out into Cherokee County (Woodstock, Holly Springs). You'll get much more house for the money, and newer schools without having to worry about the "this school is good, that school stinks" issue as much. $350 out there will buy you what $1 million would buy in Annapolis or LA.

BTW- you mentioned having a job lined up, but didn't mention where it's located. That's a key factor in figuring out where to look, unless you're OK with dealing with an LA-esque commute.
I agree with most of what you say... $350K in-town is not really going to buy you much house (probably pretty small, especially by Atlanta standards, with quite a bit of work needed). In the suburbs, $350K could buy you a mansion by LA or DC standards. However, based on what the OP said, his lifestyle and desires fit more with an ITP neighborhood. There are many, many people in Atlanta (my family included) who opt to pay the higher housing prices ITP in exchange for a better lifestyle and way of life. Of course, "better lifestyle and way of life" is subjective, and that is why some claim ITP housing is way overpriced while others think that paying the higher price for a place ITP is the best expenditure of money. As with all real estate, it is about trade-offs (size, location, and quality of finishing touches... ultimately all of which lead to price). For us, we are happy to give up a large house and lot for not having to be married to our cars, the ability to grab any type of non-chain food within 5 minutes, and being able to classify a destination more than 10 minutes away as "far".

Ultimately, as much as I hate to say it, I think that the OP made the best decision to stay in RC. With a budget of $350K, he probably would have been hard pressed to find a nice place ITP, and I think in the suburbs he would have thought Atlanta was exactly like Dallas. Granted that Dallas is not bad, it just was not for him. Good luck OP.

By the way, I know that this is a hard decision. My family went through this about a year ago when my husband was offered an awesome job in Manhattan. Ultimately we decided to stay in Atlanta because we just could not see raising our kids in NYC/CT/NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta