Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 11:25 AM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECD9973 View Post
For the summer - It does cool down, right? That was my pain in Dallas. I don't mind the heat and hummidity (DC had that as well), but in Dallas, it would stay in the 90's at night. There was no break.
Atlanta has much better weather than either Dallas or DC. The 1000 foot elevation protects it from the extreme humidity that you get in southern Georgia or along the Gulf Coast. The mountains to the north block the extreme cold in winter.

Here are the numbers from the "Cities Ranked and Rated" book:

Days over 90: Atlanta 19; Dallas 88; Wahington DC 37

Annual inches of snow: Atlanta 2; Dallas 3, Washington DC 16.

These are the average annual numbers. Last summer was an extreme case. There were some summers when it barely broke 90.

Last edited by capoeira; 02-22-2008 at 11:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 11:33 AM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECD9973 View Post

Educated (Not trying to sound like a snob. I hardly graduated HS and got through college after 5 years. But there was a high level of College Grads in the DC area. Just had more in common with them to make friends.)

Atlanta could be described as a gigantic college town. First you have two top ranked universities,Emory and Georgia Tech. In addition there is Georgia State,Oglethorpe University,Mercer(with the pharmacy school),Morehouse,Spelman and Clark Atlanta.

If you want small college town atmosphere you can drive 50 miles east to Athens to visit the University of Georgia campus and all the cool shops and restaurants in downtown Athens.

Atlanta - College Town, USA | GeorgiaTrend.com

Last edited by capoeira; 02-22-2008 at 01:06 PM..

Old 02-22-2008, 11:51 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,347,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Atlanta could be described as a gigantic college town. First you have two top ranked universities,Emory and Georgia Tech. In addition there is Georgia State,Oglethorpe University,Mercer(with the pharmacy school),Morehouse,Spelman and Clark Atlanta.
Well...it's no Boston...

Old 02-22-2008, 01:14 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,257,678 times
Well, since I live IN the city I was going to get on here and spell out all the ways Atlanta is different from Dallas but I guess there's no point!

However, in my opinion, we could use more folks like you!

Old 05-05-2008, 01:05 AM

19 posts, read 50,355 times
Default Liberal Single in her 40's -where to move in the South?

I am liberal living in Denver, origianlly from Louisiana and miss the warm weather and friendly extroverted people who love community and entertaining. I am lloking at Atlanta, Charlotte and Austin to relocate to possibly.
I need:
warmth weather with some humidity 70-90 degrees is fine
good job market
educated population
progressive healthy 30 to 50 somethings
ideally not far from the beach or mountains 2 plus hours fine
Lots of outdoor activities

what do you guys recommend?

Thank you VERY much for your suggestions.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:15 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado to Texas View Post
I am liberal living in Denver, origianlly from Louisiana and miss the warm weather and friendly extroverted people who love community and entertaining. I am looking at Atlanta, Charlotte and Austin to relocate to possibly.
Although I am a 'native' and love Atlanta, if I were faced with these choices (and not from here) it would be Charlotte, hands down. I love Austin, too, but I'm afraid everyone else does, too...it's becoming overrun.
Charlotte has a great QOL IMO and seems to be avoiding a lot of Atlanta's mistakes as it grows. My sister moved to the Lake Norman area (NW of Charlotte) from Atlanta's Buckhead neighborhood last year and is totally loving it there...I was up there last weekend and I can see why.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:49 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado to Texas View Post
I am liberal living in Denver, origianlly from Louisiana and miss the warm weather and friendly extroverted people who love community and entertaining. I am lloking at Atlanta, Charlotte and Austin to relocate to possibly.
I need:
warmth weather with some humidity 70-90 degrees is fine
good job market
educated population
progressive healthy 30 to 50 somethings
ideally not far from the beach or mountains 2 plus hours fine
Lots of outdoor activities

what do you guys recommend?

Thank you VERY much for your suggestions.

The original thread on this topic started in February a few months ago. It was a dead thread until this post above.

Colorado to Texas, it's always best to start your own new topic from scratch rather than revive and old/dead thread to start a new question in the middle of it. Many people who replied to the old one won't even bother to read it. Starting a new topic/thread will give your question the attention you need.

For newbies, thread dates can be found in the upper-left of each post.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:11 AM

144 posts, read 330,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagmypts View Post
I hate to say it, but probably Dallas. Here are the things in Atlanta that you had on your hated in Dallas list:

Very Right politically (not very right, but definitely right leaning)
Very Religious people

However, you will have a vastly different Atlanta experience based on where you live. Based on what you said, you would probably be much happier ITP (inside the Perimeter (i.e. Interstate 285)).

I would echo the sentiments i selected in the above quote -- and it is more than just "leaning," politically, at least metro-wide. Newt Gingrich is from the northern Suburbs, and his old district votes 70% R every year. Honestly, it's smotheringly conservative out here to me.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:29 AM

263 posts, read 1,132,256 times
Hate DC list

- Crime is horrible
- pg country, a suburb of dc ranks high in crime and car thiefs
- 1 out of 20 people in DC have aids
- too expensive, one bedroom condo will cost u over $300k
- metro is too expensive, over $10 round trip during the weekday if u have to go to work
- people are rude
- they drive slow in the fast lane
- everybody thinks they are important when they arent
- local women arent into cooking
-etc

Old 05-10-2008, 08:49 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,774,612 times
I think it's right leaning politically, though many of the people in the inner metro are left-leaning, especially transplants and young people. I think the politics of the city is going to change. A lot of people, for instance, are GA Tech grads who settled in the area around their school. As far as religious, the transplants from the North are less religious, so it all depends who you talk to. Weather-wise, it's chilly in the winter, but definitely not cold -- for someone who grew up in the Northeast. Also, metro Atlanta is a lot more beautiful than LA or other cities with straight roads, because the roads curve so most of what you often see is trees, even in very dense areas. Also, there is plenty to do if you are interested in outdoors things because we are very close to many recreational areas, and not too far from the smoky mountains or great beaches. There also is quite a bit of history, mostly within the last 120 years or so, though... However, if you are interested in American Indian history, there is plenty in the general area of Atlanta that stretches back over 1000 years, such as the Etowah mounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta