Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2016, 09:16 AM

946 posts, read 775,379 times

Advertisements

For a long time I have contemplated moving to Atlanta for job reasons. The job would most likely be in or near the city center. I would very much like to live in Buckhead or Midtown and near MARTA and primarily use that. Only use car on limited occasions and weekends.

I've spend several weekends in both areas. I know all about shopping and dining at the most common places. But I'm still at a bit of a loss on what there is to do in Buckhead or Midtown other than go out to eat and shop? I realize Buckhead and Midtown are not the same place, but they are next to each other and a short train ride away.

I'm posting this to see what there is to do in this area during the day for fun and enjoyment "if you are single"? Such as, where to walk, or ride a bike? Do you get on the train and go other places? Or are you obligated to get in the car and drive somewhere else? Should I forget these two places and look in the Sandy Springs area, also near MARTA?

Any comments would be appreciated, hopefully from someone who lives there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 09:31 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,872,781 times
What do you like to do? You can find about anything in Atlanta.

If you want somewhere to walk / bike, check out the Beltline east side trail. Or bike out to Stone Mountain for a longer ride. There are lots of museums around too.

Midtown it a good central spot to start with in Atlanta. Buckhead is right next to some great shopping if that is more your thing. If you are concerned with things to do, I'd start closer into the city.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:52 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,259,585 times
I imagine Piedmont Park is your answer. Walk, ride a bike, socialize. See a bunch of good looking people and their cute dogs.

I lived in Sandy Springs for 2 years and I really liked it, but by no means should you choose Sandy Springs over Buckhead or Midtown, unless you need to. Those are the city, Sandy Springs is a suburb.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:05 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,985,671 times
Buckhead and Midtown are pretty different in terms of stuff to do without a car. Midtown has museums, some performing arts, the Botanical Gardens, and Piedmont Park, all within walking distance. Frequent festivals in spring and fall. It's also connected to the Beltline on the east side.

Buckhead is trickier for what you're looking for, but has some cool stuff too (such as the Atlanta History Center).

Old 09-06-2016, 11:09 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
If you enjoy playing tennis, join an ALTA or USTA team out of Piedmont Park - great way to make friends! Otherwise, simply wandering around the Park and the adjacent Beltline is very relaxing and interesting. Lots of great eateries along the route. The High Museum of Art is terrific, especially if they have a special exhibit. Further, the Atlanta Botanical Garden is a real treat! We can spend countless hours there Spring through Fall. You might also want to check the calendars for the Fox Theatre, Alliance Theater and the Ansley Park Playhouse - generally some very good shows / performances at those venues.

Old 09-06-2016, 03:29 PM

Thank you for all the comments.

It seems like Midtown has more opportunities for R and R than Buckhead.

Even though I've spent time in Buckhead, it just seems like nothing but shopping and eating. I took a walk one day several miles around Buckhead. From Lindbergh Center to the Shops at Buckhead. It just felt unappealing, not to mention dangerous (fast moving cars). So I felt like I must be overlooking something in Buckhead. But not based on these comments.

Very few people out on a great day, except the fast moving cars. That's the main thing I remember.

Last edited by Blazin65; 09-06-2016 at 03:56 PM..

Old 09-06-2016, 05:29 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,872,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post
Thank you for all the comments.

It seems like Midtown has more opportunities for R and R than Buckhead.

Even though I've spent time in Buckhead, it just seems like nothing but shopping and eating. I took a walk one day several miles around Buckhead. From Lindbergh Center to the Shops at Buckhead. It just felt unappealing, not to mention dangerous (fast moving cars). So I felt like I must be overlooking something in Buckhead. But not based on these comments.

Very few people out on a great day, except the fast moving cars. That's the main thing I remember.
Buckhead is a nice, upscale area. But yes, it is a lot more auto-centric and not very appealing to walk around. I have lived in both Buckhead and Midtown and I prefered Midtown and think you would too based off your comments.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:26 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
I think the OP would really like Midtown. Beltline, Ponce City Market and Piedmont Park were made for people like the OP.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:13 AM

Thanks again. Next time I go over I'll try to stay in Midtown. But this time try to do more in the daytime.......instead of night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta