Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 07:32 AM

483 posts, read 2,093,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
They have jobs. Spraying graffiti is what they do on their time off.

Graffiti will never go away. No matter what. No point in getting worked up over it.
We don't have a problem with graffiti here in the country. We have shotguns.

Seriously. Don't even think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 07:38 AM

897 posts, read 2,824,000 times
Quote:

Old 02-29-2008, 08:00 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,286,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvm View Post
We don't have a problem with graffiti here in the country. We have shotguns.

Seriously. Don't even think about it.
I'm pretty sure graffiti artists are not interested in coming out to the boonies.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:01 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiGal View Post
Please elaborate.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:21 AM

387 posts, read 1,593,113 times
Where I'm from, there's a street wall designated for "graffiti"... of course it's a college town so mostly the stuff says "HAPPY 21ST BIRTHDAY BABY!!!!" or "TRI-DELT DANCE MARATHON THIS WEEKEND!!!".

But in a 'city', especially when you see it glamorizing a "gangster" lifestyle, no, it's not cute. It's rude and it devalues parts of town. Not to mention, it perpetuates not the greatest of paths in life for kids... cmon, the Chipmunks holding firearms and throwing the "A-Town" down hand signal?

Old 02-29-2008, 08:31 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,367,911 times
Quote:

Graffiti will never go away. No matter what. No point in getting worked up over it.
I'm not getting "worked up over it"- it's just moronic for someone to consider defacing public property to be "art".

Old 02-29-2008, 08:35 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg83 View Post
the Chipmunks holding firearms and throwing the "A-Town" down hand signal?
Agreed, that is a really stupid painting. And the Chipmunks suck. Who doesn't know that?

Old 02-29-2008, 09:29 AM

1,104 posts, read 1,520,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian3219 View Post
I like seeing the graffiti in the city. It makes it more colorful. I just wanted to know what other Atlanta citizens think of the art?
When I went to Atlanta graffiti was one of the things I was actually looking for. I did a little bit. It was cool. I thought I was going to see a lot more. Graffiti in the right places is a good thing for any METRO area in the world. Gives the city an international feel me, and if done right is nice to view.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I'm a "prude" because I don't enjoy looking at gang signs, meaningless bubble letters, or even Alvin with an Uzi? Whatever- maybe when you grow up you'll see things a little differently.

And no, I don't think what you showed is "art", even though it's most likely hired work and not true "grafitti", which is what your original post was about. Atlanta's got enough problems without billboard-sized "art" portraying children's cartoon characters with guns, booze and "bling" in the same space as a "Welcome to Atlanta" banner- not exactly the image the city should be trying to portray. I just hope that the city wasn't stupid enough to use any public funds to pay for that "art".
Unfortunately Bob everyone does not think like you do. How people see things has nothing to do with age man. You have the right to feel how you feel, but its just your opinion NOT FACT. I like it. Others like it. U don't like it. Others don't like it. I rather see the kids with spray cans over guns any day.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Why is Theodore so fat in that painting?

I don't like "tags", but graffiti art can be quite good. The Krog Street tunnel usually has some good work.
I agree with you. "the tagging" is annoying but "the bombs" are good stuff. Especially when it's organized bombing and you tell the graf writers have respect for one another. I was only in Atlanta for a day and did see some good work, but not on the level of London, Hong Kong or Paris which in my opinion has some of the best bombs I have seen in person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta