Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-24-2016, 12:09 PM
 
32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Reputation: 13311

Advertisements

I can't speak for the entire metro but it sure seems like the city of Atlanta is much safer than it was in in the old days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-24-2016, 12:40 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,582 posts, read 10,778,524 times
Reputation: 6572
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I can't speak for the entire metro but it sure seems like the city of Atlanta is much safer than it was in in the old days.
Yea crime in large cities got really bad throughout the 70s going into the 80s.

It is great to see trends reversing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2016, 12:49 PM
 
1,456 posts, read 1,321,996 times
Reputation: 2173
Thank gentrification and thugs unable to afford the city easily anymore. Same is happening to many cities in the US.

That being said murder is up quite a bit this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2016, 12:52 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,582 posts, read 10,778,524 times
Reputation: 6572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Thank gentrification and thugs unable to afford the city easily anymore. Same is happening to many cities in the US.

That being said murder is up quite a bit this year.
I don't think that is all of it.

Crime is down across the board overall, not just in cities... but overall.

We will notice more aggressive changes in the cities, since that is where it was highest previously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2016, 12:52 PM
 
1,705 posts, read 1,390,145 times
Reputation: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Thank gentrification and thugs unable to afford the city easily anymore. Same is happening to many cities in the US.

That being said murder is up quite a bit this year.
I've heard it has more to do with an aging population. Dang kids!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2016, 09:40 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
1,490 posts, read 2,102,190 times
Reputation: 1703
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I can't speak for the entire metro but it sure seems like the city of Atlanta is much safer than it was in in the old days.
Seems like? It is much safer. No question about it. Atlanta is pretty soft (safe) now compared to what it was back in the day. And that's a good thing. This city had more than a few open air drug markets back then. And these little fools running around robbing people and breaking into cars every night pale in comparison to the drug gangs and crews that used to dominate the city back in the 80s on up to the mid 90s. The murder rate was thru the roof back then. 150-250 was a normal year. I can't remember the last time the city cracked a 100. You don't hear stories like the old ones anymore. Herndon Homes going to war Eagan Homes. Dudes piling up 15 deep into a stolen Uhaul truck and barreling thru the courtyard of the opps complex shooting at anything moving. Nightly shootouts in Techwood or 2-3 murders in one day in Eastlake. Dudes kidnapping people's babies in Perry Homes and putting them in microwaves when the ransom money didn't show That Atlanta is long gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2016, 09:49 AM
 
9,008 posts, read 14,064,341 times
Reputation: 7643
Quote:
Dudes kidnapping people's babies in Perry Homes and putting them in microwaves when the ransom money didn't show
Did they turn the microwaves on? Just like in Gremlins?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2016, 09:51 AM
 
283 posts, read 360,726 times
Reputation: 331
Oh yeah, the crime rate is so amazing now. Yet we have prostitutes and over 70 vehicles broken into in Midtown. Let's celebrate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2016, 10:01 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
1,490 posts, read 2,102,190 times
Reputation: 1703
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Did they turn the microwaves on? Just like in Gremlins?
That's cute. But a lot people in the city now would p*** their pants if they lived in those areas back then. Atlanta was not a joke at all back in the day. And outside of folks in the rougher areas, this city has probably the least street smart people of all the other major cities. People here still leave valuables in plain view in their car, they still walk down dark streets at night and don't pay attention to their surroundings. And then they wonder why they got robbed. Smh. If you don't know how to compose yourself living in a shiny new apartment off Boulevard how in the world would you have managed in that same area say back in '91? When there actually were wolves in the city who preyed on people like that on a nightly basis and not some 13 y/o knuckle head looking for an easy lick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2016, 11:32 AM
 
32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Reputation: 13311
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
Seems like? It is much safer. No question about it. Atlanta is pretty soft (safe) now compared to what it was back in the day. And that's a good thing. This city had more than a few open air drug markets back then. And these little fools running around robbing people and breaking into cars every night pale in comparison to the drug gangs and crews that used to dominate the city back in the 80s on up to the mid 90s. The murder rate was thru the roof back then. 150-250 was a normal year. I can't remember the last time the city cracked a 100. You don't hear stories like the old ones anymore. Herndon Homes going to war Eagan Homes. Dudes piling up 15 deep into a stolen Uhaul truck and barreling thru the courtyard of the opps complex shooting at anything moving. Nightly shootouts in Techwood or 2-3 murders in one day in Eastlake. Dudes kidnapping people's babies in Perry Homes and putting them in microwaves when the ransom money didn't show That Atlanta is long gone.
It feels like the city proper has lost a lot of its crime to areas outside the city limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top