Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 12:54 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,492,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It feels like the city proper has lost a lot of its crime to areas outside the city limits.
Zero-sum game meaning crime didn't go down. Crime doesn't recognize jurisdiction boundaries...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 01:41 PM

32,037 posts, read 36,874,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Zero-sum game meaning crime didn't go down. Crime doesn't recognize jurisdiction boundaries...
Yeah, but I'm talking about where it occurs. It seems to be less frequent in the city proper these days.

Old 09-28-2016, 02:51 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,105,671 times
Quote:
It feels like the city proper has lost a lot of its crime to areas outside the city limits.
Crime clearly has gone up in some of the suburbs but I think crime has just went down altogether across the board everywhere. Life has changed. A lot of those draconian laws from the 80s and 90s worked, sometimes to the detriment of honest people. A whole lot of people who would be out right now doing dirt are in prison. Also a lot of innocent folks and people who just got caught up behind the walls too. And stuff was so crazy back then that a lot of those people who would be in the street are taking a dirt nap somewhere. Add onto to that the fact that big brother is everywhere. So if you commit a crime it's much easier to get caught now because there are cameras everywhere. Also the dope game isn't what it was. Crack is pretty dead, so no more lucrative traps to fight over. And you can order drugs over the Internet now so it's no need for a connect and others looking to get high can just go the nearest shady pain clinic and get a 'scrip for their fix. That's taken away a lot of the street stuff that used to breed huge areas of crime. And lastly a lot of criminals have moved to fraud- bank fraud, tax fraud, credit card fraud etc. I think the 2000s mortgage fraud epidemic in Atlanta moved a lot of the goons into white collar areas of getting money. And while those aren't victimless crimes, it's does allow for the streets to be safer.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:02 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,369,273 times
I have read some where fairly recently that crime is way down in the City of Atlanta, but has risen exponentially in southwestern Dekalb and parts of Gwinnett County. Also some of the home invasion style incidents in some Eastside neighborhoods last fall and winter have many on edge even within Atlanta.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:31 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,852,051 times
Glad that crime is still trending down in Atlanta. I think people forget with our 24/7 news cycle scaring people (and them buying into the fright) that crime in general is down nationwide over the past 30 years.

I actually feel much safer today than I did as a kid. I'm in my late 30s. People think I'm crazy for saying/thinking this but I vividly remember the crack epidemic and I had a branch of my extended family who were into real, organized street gangs so I saw a lot of stuff in my life and none of that is around today in the neighborhood I grew up in.

I remember when I moved to Atlanta in the late 90s and some neighborhoods, including the one I eventually bought a house in, were SUPER crazy and scary to me but today they are nothing compared to what they were back then.

It is amazing to me, especially those of us who grew up in "the ghetto" that people don't recognize how much better various urban areas are today in regards to crime.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:23 PM

6,598 posts, read 12,101,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
I can't remember the last time the city cracked a 100.
I think it was 2007, but it looks like it's on track to do that this year for the first time since then.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:33 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,240,207 times
Quote:
I guess everybody knows this, but with all the ridiculous nonsense that's being floating by politicos, it's worth taking a moment to acknowledge our success.
Say that to the dead guy's family when they found him dead in the bushes near grady a few weeks back....true, not the safest part of town but, murder is, well....murder? One IS too many....I'd say it has more to do with an economic downturn...let it rebound to 2005 levels and the targets thickening up the highways as they head into town for work and two things WILL happen...

1) More violent assaults by blacks and Hispanics
2) Overall crime will increase.

Targets are targets...put more of them in a square mile and sooner or later, someone is getting clipped during the commission of an armed robbery...just mathematical odds in that favor...

Is Atlanta improving? Somewhat....but, it still has a long, long way to go and the more redevelopment they can accomplish downtown, the more THAT part of town will improve. Unfortunately, the thugs move too. And as the other poster mentioned, they will go where the money is.....weird, home invasions seem to be picking up or is that my perception I'm not sure.....Houston mastered it years ago....

Also have to wonder if the meteoric rise in gun ownership has had anything to do with it. I would really like to see the stats on how many crimes were THWARTED these past 7 years due to armed citizens and their interventions. Not tooting the horn for the NRA or any of that, I'm seriously interested to know if this has had ANY impact on reducing crime.

If you thought people were armed before, you really, really need to go to a gun range. Literally every walk of life is out there now. Many, many more women are going and becoming armed to protect themselves (yea!!!!!) Want to rob someone? You better be real, real careful of who you rob. I'm starting to think 1 out of 3 or 4 are and I wouldn't bet my life on it that they aren't. They are also putting in the time at the range.

For about $200 or less, anyone can at least don a decent .380 and with today's ammo, that's probably good enough for most encounters....easy to master too. Small price for insurance....

Carry on,

Old 09-28-2016, 07:50 PM

32,037 posts, read 36,874,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Say that to the dead guy's family when they found him dead in the bushes near grady a few weeks back....true, not the safest part of town but, murder is, well....murder? One IS too many....I'd say it has more to do with an economic downturn...let it rebound to 2005 levels and the targets thickening up the highways as they head into town for work and two things WILL happen...
Well, I guess you could say the same thing about the victims of the machete killer up in Cherokee who got out of prison and became a child rapist in Cobb.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/crime-l...-rapist/nsc7H/

Or the family of the fellow in Kennesaw who was murdered by his wife.

Woman arrested, charged in 2013 murder of husband | 11alive.com

Or the family of the kindergarten teacher in West Cobb who was blown away by her angry mother in law.

Mother-in-law indicted with murder in Cobb teacher

Old 09-28-2016, 08:21 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,265,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
1) More violent assaults by blacks and Hispanics
Shamefully racist.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:47 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,891,858 times
Quote:
even so, you don't hear about things like what oldschoolchevy is talking about in the suburbs, or anywhere. people have a delusional kind of nostalgia, i think. things used to be so much more dangerous everywhere back in the day. some of the old stuff is cool, sure, but i am definitely glad it's 2016. even the terrible murder spike that is happening in chicago is not anywhere near close to what it was 20 years ago:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta