Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2008, 06:08 PM

103 posts, read 327,504 times

Advertisements

Ok I have posted here before and I am still confused, so let me take my time and be specific and break down my situation.

I moved from NYC in November, I am not working yet and I live in LoveJoy in Clayton Cty( staying with a friend). I have two kids, boy 17(in march) in Special Education for Mild Retardation, and a daughter 8(march also) that just made honor roll in Clayton County schools.

What I am looking for is info on schools that have great special education programs. I have been on contact with the GA dept of Ed, but they cant recommed one school over the other because it is not ethical. But I need to hear from alll of you educators, parents, and Bob Kovacs(you know everything...LOL) to let me know what counties can I get the best education for my son and my daughter.

I am on a budget so I know that my rent can only be between $700 and $850, know better schools ask for more money as far as rents and mortages, but I know that in my price range it exsist.

As I said, I post often but I need specifics.

Thanks

Tammara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 06:34 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
Tammara

Special ed in GA stinks (I think I might have told you that before you moved...)
Because he is in special ed, he actually gets to stay in school until he is 21.

What are his capabilities? Can he learn a vocation, life skills, etc?

Letting me know that can at least help me help you ask schools the right questions.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:51 PM

103 posts, read 327,504 times
Default capabilities

His reading is slow, but my son is very common sense smart. He has some rage issues, but he can sit down and hold a conversation with you on music, sports, political race. He is more advanced than alot of kids in his school, but he is not geting alot of the services that he needs because I am not longer on state medical assistance and alot of the programs as far as counseling and others are only taking medicaid.

My son still wants to be a professional basketball player, but I think that is just him not facing up to the fact that it may not happen. I do not know what he would want to learn as a trade as he is so high in the clouds about his first love, he is not thinking about any future if it is not with her. But I want him to look at that path of vocational studies. Please know that Spec Ed as a whole everywhere is flawed. I just want one that will care about him and help me get him to his best potential.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:34 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Wow- I feel special to have been singled out....lol. Unfortunately, this is an area that I know nothing about, so I'll leave it to those who do.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:34 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
Well, I think I would start calling the school systems that are close in, Fulton, Cobb, DeKalb, Atlanta and maybe Gwinnett, and start inquiring about how they would serve your son. Ask for the special ed department. Less than 50 percent of GA students in special ed earn a diploma, so you have really got to push to get what he needs.

I have a friend who teaches high schoolers more sever than your son and they do all this stuff in the community.

you can find any school system in Georgia (except the city of Decatur) by the following.

Welcome to DeKalb County Schools

Google Warren Tech in DeKalb (or go to dekalb's website and find it). It may be a possibility.

Just change dekalb to any other county's name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: