Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 07:41 PM

247 posts, read 1,115,537 times

Advertisements

Atlanta is my wife's hometown, we live about 3 hours away in Alabama. We go over pretty often (every month or so) and usually stay at her friends B&B in Inman park. We've spent a lot of time in little five points, east Atlanta village and lately downtown Decatur. All of these nieghborhoods are very hip by Alabama standards. Are there any other nieghborhoods that we should be checking out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 09:03 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Cabbagetown

Westside

Oakhurst (in southwest Decatur)

Kirkwood

Poncey-Highland

Castleberry Hill

Peachtree Hills

For more "hip-mainstream":

Virginia-Highland

Midtown

Old 02-25-2008, 07:39 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,260,766 times
Definitely Cabbagetown and Kirkwood. Just yesterday we had coffee at Gathering Grounds in downtown Kirkwood and then walked to Bessie Brahnam park around the corner. It's a really sweet little park. Once the time changes BB park has Picnic in the Park on Wednesday evening where families from the neighborhood go and have dinner.

Also, Grant Park is a good place to go. Not just the zoo. There are plenty of cool places to eat, etc. Just went to Six Feet Under on Friday night - the place was packed!

Old 02-25-2008, 11:46 AM

36 posts, read 143,923 times
Ooohh, Gotta love Gathering Grounds(and Picnic in the Park too)!

Old 02-25-2008, 12:06 PM

Yeah, it's not my neighborhood but it's the next one over and lots of my son's friends live there so we're there a lot. Kirkwood is rapidly turning into a happening place....and Toomer Elementary is about to come online with all new staff, etc, from what I've heard and enrollment is supposed to go up markedly. And it's still affordable!

Old 02-25-2008, 02:20 PM

117 posts, read 619,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Yeah, it's not my neighborhood but it's the next one over and lots of my son's friends live there so we're there a lot. Kirkwood is rapidly turning into a happening place....and Toomer Elementary is about to come online with all new staff, etc, from what I've heard and enrollment is supposed to go up markedly. And it's still affordable!
Kirkwood still has a ways to go. I understand all the young buyer investement in the old homes and the relative partial turnaround of some of the neighborhoods, but it still has much more to go. I have frequented Kirkwood often over the past 4 years. If I had to pick a hood, and had some money (relative), it would not be Kirkwood.

A lot of petty crimes
crackheads at all hours walking the streets
lack of good business service sector

Old 02-25-2008, 02:29 PM

Hey, someone has to move in to make it better.

They said the same thing about Candler Park a decade ago...

Actually, there are people in the burbs who STILL say that about Candler Park!

Old 02-25-2008, 02:34 PM

117 posts, read 619,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Hey, someone has to move in to make it better.

They said the same thing about Candler Park a decade ago...

Actually, there are people in the burbs who STILL say that about Candler Park!
So true!
those bravehearts willing to stand up for change. I do see it turning like Cander Park, but it is far away right now.

Support Zone 6! If you're ready to stand for change. OBAMA 08!

Old 02-25-2008, 02:38 PM

Having Obama be president would be sort of like having Fred Astaire as president regarding charm and polish. That alone would be an improvement...

But people with very young kids or only plans for kids right now - I think they should invest in Kirkwood.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:44 PM

247 posts, read 1,115,537 times
I'll be sure to check out Cabbage town and Kirkwood the next time we're over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: