Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 08:44 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
I think a flyover bridge to connect to I -20 East to the left and not to the right of the connector should be built freeing up a couple more lane for 75/85 traffic going south. What were they thinking to have traffic merge from both the left for those going on I-20 and from the right for those going to 75/85. GDOT were idiots on that one!
1) Where do we get the additional ROW?
2) Where do we get the funds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 08:55 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
It's just the exit usually. What needs to happen is an HOV exit onto I-20 so those people don't have to come all the way over.
That would definitely help. I-20 is the cause of southbound woes. Wish we could use Driller Mike to make some tunnels for through traffic heading to I-20 that start north of Brookwood and maybe a couple of other entrances from side streets.

Driller Mike could be the solution to many of our problems. Well, if it's wide enough

Old 11-03-2016, 09:15 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
That would definitely help. I-20 is the cause of southbound woes. Wish we could use Driller Mike to make some tunnels for through traffic heading to I-20 that start north of Brookwood and maybe a couple of other entrances from side streets.

Driller Mike could be the solution to many of our problems. Well, if it's wide enough
I-20 isn't the problem so much as traffic from the Edgewood (and to a lesser extent Freedom Parkway) SB onramp weaving with I-20-bound traffic, which causes the significant backups.

Old 11-03-2016, 09:39 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
I-20 isn't the problem so much as traffic from the Edgewood (and to a lesser extent Freedom Parkway) SB onramp weaving with I-20-bound traffic, which causes the significant backups.
That small stretch is insane. It's short exit only lane by any measure then you throw in all the traffic headed for I 20. Anyone entering that has to take 75/85 SB has to merge once then get over twice all while fighting traffic.

Old 11-03-2016, 10:03 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
That's true, but if I20 wasn't there those onramps wouldn't be nearly as much a problem. I'd love to see them close the Edgewood onramp and the MLK exit for a week and see what happens.

Old 11-03-2016, 10:32 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,440,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
1) Where do we get the additional ROW?
2) Where do we get the funds?
Asked the people that are funding interstate 285 800 or so million dollar project.

Old 11-03-2016, 10:35 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,440,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
That's true, but if I20 wasn't there those onramps wouldn't be nearly as much a problem. I'd love to see them close the Edgewood onramp and the MLK exit for a week and see what happens.
Good point about the MLK access ramp and have people entered I-20 further down. That will allow those getting on 75/85 south easier access.

Old 11-03-2016, 12:42 PM

561 posts, read 781,142 times
There needs to be a total redesign to a braided ramp and/or collector distributor lane configuration for the Freedom Pkwy, Edgewood, MLK, I-20, and Fulton street exits/entrances. This could be done within MOST of the current ROW, but the problem is that it cannot be done without closing one or more of these ramps for an extended time while the redesign takes place.

And it will be expensive.

I also agree that there needs to be an I-20 HOV exit when going South on the connector but, I'm not sure how feasible it would be to implement at this stage.

Old 11-03-2016, 12:48 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossberg View Post
There needs to be a total redesign to a braided ramp and/or collector distributor lane configuration for the Freedom Pkwy, Edgewood, MLK, I-20, and Fulton street exits/entrances. This could be done within MOST of the current ROW, but the problem is that it cannot be done without closing one or more of these ramps for an extended time while the redesign takes place.

And it will be expensive.

I also agree that there needs to be an I-20 HOV exit when going South on the connector but, I'm not sure how feasible it would be to implement at this stage.
Lanes would have to be removed for the braided ramp system, or the tunnels and retaining walls expanded. It's better to spend the hundreds of millions on commuter rail.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:56 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
But rush hour traffic out of the city has cleared by 8pm....isn't that too late of an hour to be explained by commuter traffic?
400/75/85 all merge within a couple miles of each other. Bad design. Causes long backups and creates lots of accidents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta