Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2008, 06:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,617 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy a house in the Sagamore Hills area in unincorporated Dekalb. There are a few great houses that are quite close to the train tracks. How much does this bother residents? And does this seem to affect property value? It seems like train tracks are all over in the area, so it may be hard to avoid....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 07:53 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,260,766 times
I grew up near train tracks so I might be biased but....I kind of like it. I like hearing the night train pass. Unless the house you choose is right at a crossing you probably won't have to deal with any horns, or perhaps only distant...and forlorn...too me it's kind of romantic.

I live by tracks now. In fact I live by both MARTA and diesel. MARTA is noisier because I live in front the station and I can hear the breaks.

But truthfully, I rarely notice it now.

Welcome to Terminus!

Old 02-26-2008, 12:42 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,087,284 times
I use to live across the street from the Inman Park MARTA station and the freight train on DeKalb Avenue probably not far from pless. When I first moved there I thought I made a mistake especially when the heard the first freight train hook-up its caboose! After living there for a while, I never really noticed the noise. However, after I loved about 5 blocks away - it sure was quite!

I had a listing just outside of Decatur (City). It was a historic 4 square built in the early 1900's and was beautifully renovated and literally right across the street from the same train line. I learned that in Victorian times that the wealthy built their homes along train lines to show off their wealth. When the train came by - you knew that the train was a comin'!

In terms of resale with a house close to train tracks - I tell all my Buyers to follow this rule, if you have an objection to something in the house so will the next Buyer to come along and purchase your home in the future. Cosmetic things can be rectified - location cannot.

So, in my opinion, the train tracks do effect the resale of a home.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:46 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,260,766 times
Yep. I live right in front the CP station on McLendon. The noisiest thing for me is the bikers in the spring and summer roaring down McLendon to go to The Vortex...noiser than the trains...

Old 02-26-2008, 04:03 PM

34 posts, read 288,003 times
I live in Leafmore, just across Lavista from Sagamore. I don't notice the train at all, and it runs just south of our subdivision. I actually WISH I heard the train more. I also find it romantic...forlorn...someone out there is "movin on"...

That said, it's good to keep at least a street or two away from any active train crossing in Atlanta if you don't want the train to bug you too much.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:34 PM

401 posts, read 1,733,159 times
We live in Decatur and the train really bugged me when we first moved in. It would wake me up at night. I'm a fussy sleeper though - my husband slept right through it. After about a month, I didn't wake up at all though. I have grown to really love the train sound. I find it homey and sort of romantic too. It serves as a reminder that it's a great big world out there and my so called problems are a very small part of it.

I know.... I'm a freak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: