Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2016, 07:46 AM

4,414 posts, read 3,483,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rellim113 View Post
There's something in play that a lot of people are forgetting (or conveniently choosing to ignore) with this election.

Not everyone votes for the same reason.

Or to put it another way, there are all kinds of reasons why people prefer one candidate over another. Just because a particular candidate fails one of your dealbreaker criteria, doesn't mean that everyone who voted for that person approves of that quality; ....
Like many of my friends, I voted Clinton (very reluctantly). But yesterday when I mentioned to these friends that I felt like there were a lot of reasons why so many people voted for Trump, these friends dismissed me and said, "No. He won because there is so much racism and hate in America."

So there you have it. This is why I fear we will never come together and progress. Half of the voting nation has been categorically dismissed as hate-filled racists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 07:51 AM

23,494 posts, read 44,167,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Like many of my friends, I voted Clinton (very reluctantly). But yesterday when I mentioned to these friends that I felt like there were a lot of reasons why so many people voted for Trump, these friends dismissed me and said, "No. He won because there is so much racism and hate in America."

So there you have it. This is why I fear we will never come together and progress. Half of the voting nation has been categorically dismissed as hate-filled racists.
You need to find more intelligent friends.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:28 AM

37,903 posts, read 42,060,944 times
Quote:

I had a chat with the senior project manager that I report to yesterday; she's a married, middle-aged White woman with a master's degree and military veteran who resides in a conservative, rural part of the state (Maryland). She told me she voted for Trump because we desperately need change in America, although she readily admitted that he's a bigot and a racist and she really doesn't know the direction he'll take the country in. What that told me is that while she acknowledged the reality of bigotry, xenophobia, and racism, she doesn't think much of it--because they don't really affect her (I won't get into misogyny, which is WHOLE 'nother thing). A lot of people don't realize that minorities in particular aren't just uneasy with Trump's election; they are terrified. When fringe, extremist groups are comfortable with a candidate, they feel emboldened to put their bigotry on full display (which we've already seen) and it's not that long ago that the U.S. was a separate and unequal society; I'm in my mid-30's and public schools had only been desegregated for a few years before I began attending.

So yes, when it comes to voting for a particular candidate, people process and prioritize the pros and cons of that candidate in different ways. But at the end of the day, for people who actually feel directly threatened by the election of a particular candidate, all it really boils down to is the indifference to (at best) or hatred of (at worst) those who are "other." And folks who have never walked a mile in the shoes of these people can easily sweep away those concerns and fears because they are "safe."

Old 11-10-2016, 09:05 AM

73,102 posts, read 62,746,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I had a chat with the senior project manager that I report to yesterday; she's a married, middle-aged White woman with a master's degree and military veteran who resides in a conservative, rural part of the state (Maryland). She told me she voted for Trump because we desperately need change in America, although she readily admitted that he's a bigot and a racist and she really doesn't know the direction he'll take the country in. What that told me is that while she acknowledged the reality of bigotry, xenophobia, and racism, she doesn't think much of it--because they don't really affect her (I won't get into misogyny, which is WHOLE 'nother thing). A lot of people don't realize that minorities in particular aren't just uneasy with Trump's election; they are terrified. When fringe, extremist groups are comfortable with a candidate, they feel emboldened to put their bigotry on full display (which we've already seen) and it's not that long ago that the U.S. was a separate and unequal society; I'm in my mid-30's and public schools had only been desegregated for a few years before I began attending.

So yes, when it comes to voting for a particular candidate, people process and prioritize the pros and cons of that candidate in different ways. But at the end of the day, for people who actually feel directly threatened by the election of a particular candidate, all it really boils down to is the indifference to (at best) or hatred of (at worst) those who are "other." And folks who have never walked a mile in the shoes of these people can easily sweep away those concerns and fears because they are "safe."
And this is the thing. Your co-worker knows he is a bigot/racist and doesn't care. She admits that it doesn't affect her. This is why I have a "look out for me" mentality. I know that there are those who don't care about me. I have to care. As a Black person, I have to worry about how that would translate for me. I live in Georgia, outskirts of metro Atlanta. Alabama is less than an hour away.

Truth is, I know some people don't care.

Old 11-10-2016, 09:18 AM

4,414 posts, read 3,483,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

Yes, I acknowledge that racism, bigotry and all other forms of prejudice and hate do exist. But I do not believe that is the major driving force behind this election. I can't discount the fact that there are Muslims, Latinos, blacks and other groups that voted for him, not in small numbers either.

My point is that Democrats (as an organization) need to start working with the folks on the other side to better understand complexity of the motivations behind the Trump vote. That's the only hope the party has of recovering the presidency in 4 years. Just calling 50% of voters "racist" with a broad brush is not a way to inspire progress. All it does is create more division -- and voters that felt like their only option was to hold their nose and click "Trump" on the ballot will never be heard.

Old 11-10-2016, 09:37 AM

73,102 posts, read 62,746,076 times
Quote:
Yes, I acknowledge that racism, bigotry and all other forms of prejudice and hate do exist. But I do not believe that is the major driving force behind this election. I can't discount the fact that there are Muslims, Latinos, blacks and other groups that voted for him, not in small numbers either.

My point is that Democrats (as an organization) need to start working with the folks on the other side to better understand complexity of the motivations behind the Trump vote. That's the only hope the party has of recovering the presidency in 4 years. Just calling 50% of voters "racist" with a broad brush is not a way to inspire progress. All it does is create more division -- and voters that felt like their only option was to hold their nose and click "Trump" on the ballot will never be heard.
Well, his bigotry and racism certainly got a certain part of his voting base mobilized. Even if this is about the working class, this is where I stand. I can't overlook his bigotry and racism. I have myself to look out for. I will not overlook it. I won't overlook that Hilary is a snake. That is why I went 3rd party. Johnson could have created jobs too.

Truth is, we already have alot of division, no matter what. Since when has this nation not been divided?

Old 11-10-2016, 09:44 AM

32,033 posts, read 36,849,345 times
Quote:
That's true. I heard several people (who I don't think are racists) say that being called "racist" when they don't see themselves that way is part of what motivated them to support Trump.

There needs to be better engagement or we just get more polarized.

Old 11-10-2016, 09:46 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,702,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
That's true. I heard several people (who I don't think are racists) say that being called "racist" when they don't see themselves that way is part of what motivated them to support Trump.

There needs to be better engagement or we just get more polarized.
To be fair, there are people who don't 'see themselves as racist' when, in fact, they are, just as those who are called racist when they aren't.

Old 11-10-2016, 09:55 AM

859 posts, read 2,122,011 times
Trump spoke directly to the voter and their needs and Hillary spoke mostly in platitudes. There was excitement for Trump and the change he could bring and with Hillary there wasn't enough excitement. As demonta4 said people need someone to vote FOR and not just against the other guy. Trump had people wanting to vote for him AND against Hillary so that definitely helped him out. I agree with OnyxStation that the Dems should have had more candidates in the primaries. I believe Biden would have won if he decided to run. Regardless of the lack of candidates and enthusiasm as GeorgiaPeanuts said it came down to the working poor whites in the rust belt states, which I've read most of those people that made the difference in WI and MI voted for Obama twice.

While I do believe that is election was a "whitelash" as Van Jones of CNN said but not to the degree he or others may have tried to argue. We all know since the southern strategy the Republican party has been the party of racist, bigoted and prejudice people, because there is a difference between the three. Obviously if you are a Republican that doesn't mean you are racist but if you are then you would most likely lean and vote that way. The same thing can be said for the Democrats and questionable views of some that support them. The point I'm trying to make is that Trump had a perfect storm of outrage from a small but vocal people of a certain ilk, to quote LovinDecatur : ), people being in a personal recession, and their mistrust and dislike of the system and status quo which Hillary Clinton physically embodied. As I said above these white Obama voters who flipped to Trump made the difference.

I didn't vote for Trump because he is a secretive, bigoted, misogynistic narcissist. Sure, some people weren't excited about Hillary but I don't need my politicians to be rock stars I need them to know how to govern. I shouldn't be surprised at all about this Trump win that the media was complicate in because we live in a celebrity obsessed culture where any and everyone feels because they have so many likes or followers that they are the next big star. In all this election coverage I don't know if anyone else heard this opinion during the primaries that some people were excited about Trump and the idea that a celebrity could be our President? You don't really think much of it at the time but now it really gives me pause.

The bottom line is, good or bad just like Obama did in 08, Trump represents change. People don't care about the nitty-gritty of policy, they just want the shinny new toy. It's ludicrous to think but it's true what Trump said, he could shoot someone in the middle of 5th ave and he wouldn't lose a single vote. Voters are trapped in this two party system and until we have more than two viable parties in this country people will be forced to defend the actions of their candidate because they might agree with them on a few core issues.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:31 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,410,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
...until we have more than two viable parties in this country people will be forced to defend the actions of their candidate because they might agree with them on a few core issues.
I tend to think that this is a very good point. I wish Mr. Johnson had been a more viable candidate, but folks (like me) often have a hard time making the risky decision to vote for someone who may be the best candidate but doesn't have a chance of winning. And, really, that is in part my fault. No third party candidate will have a chance until we, the voters, are brave enough to take the risk of voting for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta