Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 03:03 PM

287 posts, read 346,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsdon View Post
Dislikes
3) a bit too much of the blaring rap music at stop lights, spinning wheel caps, pants hanging off their butts, etc. kind of a bunch of small quality of life issues - but good news is most of the time you can distance yourself from it. I guess it's everywhere sadly.
So...minorities, in other words? Why do things like this bother you? I mean, pants hanging off their butts is annoying....but rap music at stop lights and spinning wheel caps really bring down your quality of life? Better get back out to the burbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 03:23 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,408,789 times
Love:

1. It's great potential
2. Vibrant, robust, economy, atmosphere
3. Increasingly international
4. Has most anything you could ask for (outside of a beach)
5. Fantastic opportunities and success stories for minorities

Hate:

1. lack of dense urban developments (but that's improving)
2. Crime and intense panhandling large homeless prescence.
3. Continues to pass up opportunities to improve public transit.
4. Lack of inexpensive popular hang out spots.
5. Different races, ethnic groups don't socially mingle enough.

On the racial tension note. I think many white people see Atlanta as having high racial tension because there are so many minorities (especially blacks) competeing with whites for real power and space whether it be political, corporate, real estate whatever. In cities where whites clearly dominate in those areas (Seattle, Denver, etc.) you'll hear whites praise those cities for not having much racial tension meanwhile there are blacks in those places that feel disenfrancised and underrepresented.

The one area where I feel we should improve is as I said social engagement. Atlanta does seem to have different races not participating in the same events patronizing the same clubs, bars, etc. compared to other cities I've been to but that is a problem that most everyone has a part in.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:46 PM

197 posts, read 774,559 times
I haven't read all the responses you got but here is my list:

Things I Love:

1. the weather!! I love the fact that it's lovely from March-November but you still get four seasons.
2. I live in-town, so I love the fact I can drive everywhere and still live in what feels like a rural area
3. I love Chastain Park amphitheater and the summer concerts there.
4. I love the diversity. This white mama really enjoys Phipps and Buckhead on Saturday with glamorous rappers etc. I just love feeling "hip" even though I am the farthest thing from it! DH told me last week he was at a bar in Buckhead and met Snoop Doggy Dog. I think that's pretty great for us foggies!!
5. I love how easily we can go to Florida--whether it's Rosemary Beach or Orlando it's not that bad of a drive
6. I like the High Museum and the Aquarium.
7. I love Piedmont Park and the Botanical Gardens
8. I love going to the movies at Phipps Plaza on a Friday and people watch
9. Love the "real" Santas at Phipps & Lenox
10. Love going to the North Georgia Mountains
11. "Cooler" in alpharetta is world class ice skating facility--much better than some up North.
12. Walking around Virginia HIghlands
13. All the cool little neighborhoods within the city!

Three things I truly hate:

- Georgia's punitive illegal immigration laws that are currently bordering on human rights violations towards illegals
- The fact that there is a disparity between the quality of schools systems. We wish the school situation was better and we did not feel so compelled to put our kids in private schools....but even so, the public school where we live is great compared to the schools friends of ours attend....
-Hate the traffic that makes suburban living less accessible

I have to say too that if you move here you will need to decide whether to live intown or not and that will really shape your experience here. We decided to live intown despite being suburbanites and we love it! It was an adjustment but we have grown to truly love here especially because we have a mix of city and suburban living....

Last edited by lolamom; 03-13-2008 at 05:56 PM..

Old 03-13-2008, 06:08 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,262,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolamom View Post
IThree things I truly hate:

- Georgia's punitive illegal immigration laws that are currently bordering on human rights violations towards illegals
Huh??????? What "punitive illegal immigration laws" would those be? And what "human rights violations" might you be talking about? Last I checked, the illegals seemed to have more rights that legal citizens, and even have the ACLU working to protect them (which boggles my mind, considering that the "A" in "ACLU" stands for "American".............).

Old 03-13-2008, 09:26 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,922,135 times
1. the weather!! I love the fact that it's lovely from March-November but you still get four seasons

Seriously?! the weather here is beautiful between november-march, not the other way around, well, i guess you like 90+ degree heat with pretty high humidity then.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:03 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,231,339 times
You must be from the NORTH! LOL!

I moved here from right outside NOLA. It's HEAVEN here....it doesn't even get nasty until August and then only for about 6 weeks. And we have the most gorgeous and mild and long spring here!

Old 03-14-2008, 08:26 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,866,004 times
Seems like there are some folk from northerly climes who are so winter-averse that they like Atlanta weather.

However, as a Canadian from the temperate west coast, I support dxiweodwo 100%. The weather here is mild and pleasant from November to March, although I personally dislike the temperature swings that can bring a day or two of summer-like weather at any time. Then from April through October it's torrid, and outdoor life is miserable.

I'm fascinated by how many people list the weather as an Atlanta positive, when I see it as such a negative. It all depends what you're used to. Evidently, I would be even more unhappy in New Orleans or Houston.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:44 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,395,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
I'm fascinated by how many people list the weather as an Atlanta positive, when I see it as such a negative. It all depends what you're used to. Evidently, I would be even more unhappy in New Orleans or Houston.
And you would probably not enjoy summer in Savannah.

I loathe the heat/humidity and truly believe the summers are hotter.

I love the current weather and the Fall/Winter.

Would not survive in extreme climates.

LOL--This sort of climate is available throughout the SE. Especially in Charlotte.

I would like 'fewer' people in metro Atlanta. Really do not enjoy the more aggressive attitude that has developed.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:17 AM
l12

160 posts, read 315,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolamom View Post
I have to say too that if you move here you will need to decide whether to live intown or not and that will really shape your experience here. We decided to live intown despite being suburbanites and we love it! It was an adjustment but we have grown to truly love here especially because we have a mix of city and suburban living....
What part of intown do you live in that is semi-rural?

Old 03-14-2008, 09:25 AM
l12

160 posts, read 315,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs119 View Post
Chilling.

'Not proud of my state or country'

I hope that some day you will find something honorable in the sacrifices that were made so that you could freely express this opinion. Certain that others have said this to you.
what I said was 'not proud of my state or country... 100% enough to fly a flag'. Of course I am proud of our freedoms and many things this country has done and stood for, but I am also ashamed of many things this country has done, especially in the past 50 years, so I wouldn't go around flying a flag, which symbolizes that you 100% support what the flag represents in my view.

Some believe the US flag does represent just the good things that America was founded on and in the Constitution, Declaration of Independence, etc.

I wish that was true, but the fact is that to the rest of the world it represents a lot more negative (not just talking about Iraq and last 10 years here) and I think you must recognize us by what we have done in recent history, not just 200 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta